Thread: Cody Boyd TE.....

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

Cody Boyd TE.....

When Washington State's Cody Boyd went undrafted in April's NFL Draft, the big tight end knew Pittsburgh was where he wanted to be.

Much was made of the third-round selection by the Pittsburgh Steelers of
    6-7, 270-pound tight end Matt Spaeth. Considering the team had just
    selected Heath Miller in the first round of the draft two years earlier, the
    selection of another tight end with a premium pick seemed a bit odd.
    But the Steelers want to free Miller up to do more work as a receiver
    instead of a blocker, hence the selection of a massive tight end with some blocking skills. As big as Spaeth is, however, he’s not the biggest rookie tight end with the team this season. That honor goes to Cody Boyd, a 6-8, 264-pound behemoth out of Washington State. A former basketball player at Washington State, Boyd looks more like a power forward than a football player. But the big guy has some football skills as well, even though he was just a one-year starter for the Cougars.

“We had a pretty good player a year ahead of me,” said Boyd,
    referring to Troy Bienemann. "But when I got the chance to start, I produced.”

Despite missing two games with a high ankle sprain during his senior
    season – an injury that was supposed to keep him out at least four games – Boyd hauled in 32 passes for 481 yards, a 15.0 average per catch, with two touchdowns.

“I can get down the field and catch the ball,” said Boyd. “I think
    that’s what they liked about me. The Steelers were one of the teams that brought me in for a visit before the draft and I was hoping that I would end up here. I just had a good feeling about this place after being here and meeting with the coaches. I liked what they told me about the offense.”

So when Boyd was not selected in the draft, he let his agent know
    that Pittsburgh was the place he wanted to be.

“I know they have Heath here, but I really believe there is an
    opportunity here,” said Boyd. “It’s up to me to make the most of it.”
    Boyd knows making the most of his chance will include showing that he
    can handle blocking at the NFL level.

“I feel like I can do it,” he said. “I wasn’t asked to do a ton of
    blocking in college, but I think the Steelers looked at my size and said, ‘Here’s a guy who’s 6-8 and can get down the field. With some NFL coaching, he could be a good blocker as well.’ It’s up to me.”

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians plans on using more multiple tight
    end sets than the Steelers have incorporated in the past, something that could open the door for another young tight end or two on the roster behind Miller and veteran Jerame Tuman. Boyd plans on forcing the Steelers’ coaches to take notice of him.

“The opportunity is all I’ve asked for,” he said. “I’ve gotten it,
    now I just have to digest the playbook and be ready to go when we put the pads on.”

By Dale Lolley
    SteelCityInsider.com
    10 July 2007
    Miller, Spaeth and Boyd...3 big guys who will be puttin a hurtin on D's this year. With veteran Tuman to help guide these guys and Arians new plans for the TE's these guys will be exciting to watch.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    Miller, Spaeth and Boyd...3 big guys who will be puttin a hurtin on D's this year. With veteran Tuman to help guide these guys and Arians new plans for the TE's these guys will be exciting to watch.
    I wouldn't expect 4 TEs to make the final 53 man roster....So could Boyd be headed to the practice squad? Or do the Steelers cut Tuman and keep Boyd instead?

TE will definitely be a position to follow during training camp and the preseason.

Thanks House of Steel for the sig and avatar

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I wouldn't expect 4 TEs to make the final 53 man roster....So could Boyd be headed to the practice squad? Or do the Steelers cut Tuman and keep Boyd instead?
    Yeah I know, it sounded good.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Tuman could be in trouble,if this kid does the same cheaper !!

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This will be one of the most intense TE competitions we've ever seen in Steeler history. During the Cowher era we always knew that Bruener would make the team and then Heath would make the team, same with Tuman and the rest of the guys were just bodies who wouldn't contribute much but now with all this talent and Arians wanting to use the TE in more expanded roles it should be fun to watch.

OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL
    Imagine having these three big bodies, Miller, Spaeth and Boyd along with Ward, lined up wide in the spread formation. We will have 9 blockers on the field for willie to get outside on sweeps and it will even be great for screens.

Thread Information