Thread: NASCAR plane crash....

Bookmark and Share

NASCAR plane crash....

I'm watching Tampa TV right now...

A small plane crashed into two homes in Sanford. It took off from Daytona Beach headed for Lakeland.

There's not a lot of confirmed info right now. They just had a press conference but they did say the plane was registered to NASCAR.

Three are dead and two injured but there not giving out any names yet.

Tragic!

Link to Story
    Report: Husband of NASCAR official killed in plane crash
    July 10, 2007

DAYTONA BEACH, FLORIDA (TICKER) -- The husband of NASCAR official Lesa France Kennedy was one of two people killed in a plane crash Tuesday morning, according to a report on the Daytona Beach News Journal's web site.

The newspaper reported that Dr. Bruce Kennedy was one of two passengers aboard a twin-engine Cessna 310 that crashed into a house in Sanford. According to the report, the plane went down shortly after taking off from Daytona International Speedway.

The sister of NASCAR chairman Brian France, France Kennedy was named the president of International Speedway Corporation in 2003 and also is a member of NASCAR's board of directors.

In 2005, she was named "Most Influential Woman in Sports Business" by Street & Smith's SportsBusiness Journal.
    Another Story
    Small plane crashes into 2 Fla. homes, killing 5 people; boy in home severely burned
    July 10, 2007

SANFORD, Fla. (AP) -- A small plane trying to make an emergency landing crashed into two houses Tuesday, killing five people and starting fires that seriously burned three others in one of the homes, authorities said.

The identities of the dead were not immediately released.

At least two victims were aboard the plane, which was registered to a Daytona Beach company linked to NASCAR's late chairman. A NASCAR spokesman in Charlotte, N.C., said the public relations staff was "in the information gathering stage" but he had no further details.

Both of the homes that were hit were largely gutted by the flames, and smoke could be seen rising from the neighborhood where the plane went down around 8:40 a.m.

Matt Minnetto, a fire investigator with Sanford Fire Department, said two people aboard the plane were confirmed dead in the crash and the plane itself was scattered in several pieces. At least three people were injured in one of the homes, including two adults and a boy about 10 years old who had burns over 80 to 90 percent of his body, Minnetto said.
    Last edited by AZ_Steeler; 07-10-2007 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Mood
    Smokin
    wow how sad...that is horrible...

Thanks for the sig Flea

My Mood
    Addicted
    That's terrible. Rest in peace to those who passed.

My condolences to the Familys,,,,,,,,

My Mood
    Addicted
    Damn!! Tragedy hasn't struck NASCAR like this in a while. Prayers and sympathies out to the families.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Addicted
    SANFORD, Fla. (AP) -- A small plane carrying the husband of a NASCAR executive crashed into a neighborhood Tuesday and engulfed two houses in flames, killing both people aboard the aircraft and three others on the ground.
    The pilot had reported smoke in the cockpit and was trying to make an emergency landing when the twin-engine plane went down in suburban Orlando, officials said.
    NASCAR confirmed that 54-year-old Dr. Bruce Kennedy, a Daytona Beach plastic surgeon and husband of International Speedway Corp. President Lesa France Kennedy, and NASCAR Aviation pilot Michael Klemm, 56, were among the dead.
    It was not entirely clear who was flying the plane. NASCAR said it was Kennedy, but investigators said earlier Tuesday it was Klemm.
    Janice Joseph, 24, and her 6-month-old son, Joseph Woodard, were killed when the home they were in was hit by the plane, police said.
    Also killed was a 4-year-old girl, Gabriela Dechat, who was in a second home. Her parents, Milagros Dechat, 33, and Peter Dechat, 36, were seriously injured and transported to Orlando Regional Medical Center, police said.
    A 10-year-old boy also in that home was transported to Cincinnati Burn Center with burns over 80 percent to 90 percent of his body, authorities said. The boy's name has not been released.
    Eric Domnitz, who lives just down the street from the crash site, hurried to the scene with a fire extinguisher and said he saw some of the victims.
    "It's in my head. The woman was just melting. It looked like her skin was just melting off," he said. "The guy, he was melting. He looked like wax."
    Matt Minnetto, an investigator with the Sanford Fire Department, said the plane itself was scattered in several pieces. The crash spilled aviation fuel, contributing to the fire's spread.
    A firefighter who responded to the blaze was also hurt trying to reach the victims.
    The twin-engine Cessna 310 had been traveling from Daytona Beach to Lakeland when the pilot reported smoke in the cockpit shortly before the crash, said Kathleen Bergen with the Federal Aviation Administration.
    The pilot was trying to land at the Orlando Sanford International Airport when the plane went down about a mile or two north of the airport, Bergen said.
    The plane was registered to Competitor Liaison Bureau Inc. of Daytona Beach. Records show the company is registered under the name of William C. France, the late chairman of NASCAR who died June 4 at his Daytona Beach home.
    Lesa France Kennedy, whose husband died in the plane crash, is France's daughter. International Speedway Corp., of which she is president, owns or operates 13 of the nation's major motorsports facilities.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Thread Information