Thread: Steelers Notebook: Cobbs hits the (play)book hard; Bettis Schedule

Bookmark and Share

Arrow Steelers Notebook: Cobbs hits the (play)book hard; Bettis Schedule

Here are some more intersting tid-bits about Cobbs and Bettis. This new guy Cobbs is starting to really grow on me now. From what I've read and this artcile can backup, this guy has a tremendous work ethic and will become a viable part of the offense. Maybe once the Steelers have him up to speed they will put Duce back out on the trading block

Also, if anyone is interested in the "Bus Schedule" see below He will be making public appearances and signing autographs.

www.post-gazette.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Patrick Cobbs has his head down more than normal these days, and it's not from disappointment that the New England Patriots traded him to the Steelers. That fact is the little halfback from Joe Greene's alma mater has his head buried in a playbook.

"Right now, it's just lot of learning," Cobbs said as he took his head out of his playbook for a quick interview. "I have to learn a whole new playbook and get caught up with these guys who have been doing it for two or three months.

"I'm just in my playbook every day and every night, just trying to learn this much and get it down as fast as I can to help this football team."

Cobbs, from North Texas State, likely won't be active for the opener tomorrow night against Miami ahead of Duce Staley. But as he picks up the Steelers' offense, he could make a case for playing. He played on every special teams in New England this summer.

"That will probably be an area I maybe can help this team out, too," Cobbs said. "Obviously, there are some good backs here. I have to get caught up first of all, and we'll see what happens."

He led the Patriots in the preseason with 188 yards rushing on 38 carries (4.9 average) and three touchdowns. He also caught seven passes for 115 yards and a touchdown.

[Part of article removed because it does not pertain to the Steelers]

Bettis is busy

Jerome Bettis may have retired from the Steelers, but he'll be spending plenty of time in Pittsburgh this week.

Today, the Steelers will unveil Bettis' locker in the Coca-Cola Great Hall at Heinz Field. The ceremony begins at 5 p.m., with gates opening at 4:30 p.m. Parking is available in Gold Lot 1A. Also today, Bettis will sign autographs from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at the unveiling of the DVD "Pittsburgh Steelers: Road to XL" at the Robinson Township Giant Eagle.

He will make his debut tomorrow night as a studio analyst for NBC television when the Steelers kick off the NFL season against the Miami Dolphins at Heinz Field.

On Friday, he will be back at Heinz Field beginning at 6:30 p.m. for the first Caring for Kids All-Star Event, presented by his The Bus Stops Here Foundation. Steelers backup quarterback Charlie Batch will receive the first Jerome Bettis Award for Humanity and Community Service. Tickets can be obtained through e-mail at savethedate_pgh@yahoo.com or by phoning 412-913-5957.

House of Steel
    I read the Bettis part in the Post-Gazette online this morning. I always read that paper first thing in the morning when I turn my computer on.

That Cobb's article is very rewarding to hear. I already like the guy. I hope he becomes a very vital part of our offense. If he can be as good as the pre-season, I say ship the Duce out of town. I still believe Duce was the worse pickup by the Steelers this decade.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Sounds like Cobbs is working hard which is good to hear. Would have liked to see him play some but I'm sure that will come at some point this year.

Thread Information