Thread: Ask Vic: Big Ben could flourish under Arians

Bookmark and Share
    Gold Standard

Ask Vic: Big Ben could flourish under Arians

By Vic Carucci
    National Editor, NFL.com

Question:

Much of the speculation about the Steelers' future rests with the future of Ben Roethlisberger. Surely, it is no secret that good, solid quarterback play is required for a team success. Last season was Big Ben's worst, leading the league with 23 interceptions. Many people wonder if his decision-making ability can rebound, after the injuries suffered prior to the start of last year. What adjustments or changes do you think the Steelers, with their new head coach, might try on offense to increase the chances of more success for Big Ben? -- Gilbert P.; Bethel Park, Pa.

Answer:

The biggest change to Pittsburgh's coaching staff that could significantly influence Roethlisberger's production is Bruce Arians being promoted from receivers coach to offensive coordinator to replace Ken Whisenhunt, who left to coach the Arizona Cardinals.

Ben Roethlisberger will get more say in what plays the Steelers will run.
    Roethlisberger is happy because Arians will trust him to carry more of the offensive load and have a larger role in game management. Arians intends to make greater use of the no-huddle attack, which Roethlisberger ran successfully in college (Miami, Ohio).

The Steelers, who worked on the scheme extensively during offseason practices, won't necessarily move particularly fast when they aren't huddling. However, they will periodically switch to the no-huddle to keep defenses guessing and to allow Roethlisberger to change plays on the fly. I think Big Ben will be up to the challenge, and provided Pittsburgh's running game gives him consistently strong support, his numbers should reflect as much.

I am looking for a great rebound year for Big Ben! All early indications support that theory. From what I read Ben was the stand-out star in the OTA's. I believe the Steelers will contend for the AFC North title.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL
    Roethlisberger is happy because Arians will trust him to carry more of the offensive load and have a larger role in game management. Arians intends to make greater use of the no-huddle attack, which Roethlisberger ran successfully in college (Miami, Ohio).
    I did and I'm sure most of you watched Ben play in college and it's nice to see a coach that will use Ben's strengths to heip him and the team succeed.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    I agree with Vic's answer. The keyword in his answer is "trust", Arians doesn't have much choice but to trust in Ben's abilities. Arians knows what happened last year. I am looking forward to seeing the no huddle but I'm also hoping for more play action which Ben is real good at. Also using our friggin TE's more would be a relief to all of us. Using Willie outta the backfield more will give FWP and Ben both confidence in that weapon. Man is it kickoff yet?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    I am looking for a great rebound year for Big Ben! All early indications support that theory. From what I read Ben was the stand-out star in the OTA's. I believe the Steelers will contend for the AFC North title.

I'll second that,,,,,,
    I think we got a real shot for our 6th title,but we must get off to a fast start
    because or last 5 games is a bear,,,,,,,,

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If you can't trust your QB to run the offense they way it should be run then you're not using him to his full abilities. Im looking forward to seeing what Ben can do as well with a new lease on his NFL career and an updated playbook that gives him more options than what he's been used too.

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    I'm all for Ben getting more say in how to run the offense and even him getting more opportunity to "spread it and air it" ....

BUT ....

If he starts floating rainbows that fall well short of their intended targets and into the hands of defenders .... we've got some things to reconsider and they better do it quick.

OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron City South View Post
    I'm all for Ben getting more say in how to run the offense and even him getting more opportunity to "spread it and air it" ....

BUT ....

If he starts floating rainbows that fall well short of their intended targets and into the hands of defenders .... we've got some things to reconsider and they better do it quick.
    I agree with you and think that since Ben was one of Cowhers picks that Tomlin would not hesitate to yank Ben if he is performing badly and the team needed a spark.

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
    I think Ben will be fine and return to his winning ways which will open up other things like the run game and a more rested D

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSal View Post
    I agree with you and think that since Ben was one of Cowhers picks that Tomlin would not hesitate to yank Ben if he is performing badly and the team needed a spark.
    Are you kidding ?? what turn it over to Charlie... he's adequete back up but I wouldn't want him starting all year.. Ben's gonna be fine !!!!

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

Starter
    I would also like to remind you that Bens arm strength isn't really in question. In the first cincy game when it appeared he way underthrew his intended reciever, he was tripped by an O-lineman as he released taking power off the throw. The fact of the matter is that Ben Reothlisberger has a big time arm, has tremendous mobility and size and has all the tools to succeed. Hes still probably a little raw, with the right coaching and when he is healthy he is a top 5 QB

Thread Information