Thread: Pirates' McClatchy to step down as CEO later this year

Reppin' 724

Pirates' McClatchy to step down as CEO later this year

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07187/799784-100.stm

Pirates' McClatchy to step down as CEO later this year
    Friday, July 06, 2007

By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Kevin McClatchy (Published 10:13 a.m., updated 11 a.m.)
    Kevin McClatchy will step down as the Pirates' chief executive officer after the current baseball season, the team announced today, and the search for his replacement will begin immediately.

Mr. McClatchy, 44, was the front man of the group that bought the Pirates in 1996 and remained the principal owner until January of this year, when chairman of the board Bob Nutting supplanted him. After that, Mr. McClatchy's lone title was that of CEO.

He also has served on several boards for Major League Baseball, including its executive council, international committee and labor committee.

Mr. McClatchy and Mr. Nutting made the announcement to team employees this morning at PNC Park.

"A decision of this personal and professional magnitude is not the type you make overnight," Mr. McClatchy said. "It was something Bob and I had discussed even before the change of control took place in January and something I decided upon a few months ago. It was a difficult decision but, in the end, I felt the time was right to step down as the day-to-day leader, so the organization can move forward with a fresh perspective."

"I respect Kevin's decision, and I'm pleased he will continue to actively lead the franchise until the end of the season," Mr. Nutting said. "Announcing this decision now as opposed to the end of the season will allow for enough time to conduct a thorough search. It will give us an opportunity for a smooth transition into a new chapter in the history of the Pittsburgh Pirates."

Mr. Nutting said it was too early to discuss potential candidates for the job.

"Finding the new leader of the organization is the most important decision I will make in my first year as the principal owner of the franchise," he said. "Finding the right person for the position is far more critical to me than how quickly we find a successor."

Mr. Nutting praised Mr. McClatchy for his contributions to the Pirates, in particular his work in keeping them in Pittsburgh by pushing to have PNC Park built.

"It is important that we all recognize and respect the positive impact that Kevin has had on the ball club and the city of Pittsburgh," Mr. Nutting said. "Simply put, without his leadership, the Pirates would not be playing in Pittsburgh."

"I have worked hard for more than 11 years in the best interest of the Pittsburgh Pirates, our fans and the community and will continue to do so," said Mr. McClatchy. "I have confidence in this team. We have played better recently and remain focused on having a strong second half."
    Finally.....now if only the NUttings would go....

My Mood
    Addicted
    So true Teemont. Can they just sell the team to someone who actually wants to produce a winning club.

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by TEEMONT View Post
    http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07187/799784-100.stm

Finally.....now if only the NUttings would go....

Baseball, just like football, has a collective bargaining agreement to share revenues brought in by TV and MLB merchandising. Add to that a state of the art new stadium with lots of luxury boxes and I fail to understand why the Pirates organization is consistently amongst the bottom 4 teams with their payroll. What that means to me (a fan) is that these owners are far more concerned with shareholder dividends than with putting a winning product on the field. A reason why Pirates home attendance is among the leagues worst! Its the entertainment business guys! Fans aren't very entertained with 16 consecutive losing seasons and no turnaround in sight.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Before he goes, a great big thanks to McClatchy for bringing minor league baseball to the major leagues.

Thanks to BB2W for the sig

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    As long as the Pirates are above the red line then the ownership will continue not to care about putting a winning product on the field......

SA Member #27
    My Mood
    falcons-hater
    Thank God! Now we need the Nuttings to go like Teemont said.

#1 Hater of the other 30 SteelCityMan786's Avatar
    There goes one. Now we need to get one more off his perch.

Thread Information