Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

Chris Jackson

Chris Jackson
    By Dale Lolley
    SteelCityInsider.com
    Posted Jul 4, 2007

Two offseasons have passed since the departure of return man extraordinaire Antwaan Randle El and the Steelers are still looking for his replacement. Enter Chris Jackson from D-III Millsaps, a rookie free agent hoping his return skills land him an NFL job.

Chris Jackson hopes his latest trip to Pittsburgh works out better than his first one.
    Jackson, a wide receiver from Millsaps College, led the Majors into the NCAA Division III playoffs last season for the first time since 1975. Their destination? Carnegie University in Pittsburgh.
    “Yeah, that didn’t work out too well,” said Jackson of the Majors’ 21-0 loss. “I don’t know if we were just happy to be there or what. But hopefully, this trip to Pittsburgh works out better.”
    The Majors’ qualified for the playoffs with a 34-12 victory over No. 14 Trinity (Texas) the week before, a win that clinched the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference championship. And it was Jackson who pretty much single-handedly delivered the victory for the Majors.
    The 6-2, 205-pound Jackson returned three punt returns for 150 yards – two of which went for touchdowns – one kick return for 40 yards and hauled in five catches for 26 yards.
    “That was huge because Trinity was like our biggest rival,” said Jackson, who is now trying to earn a roster spot with the Pittsburgh Steelers as an undrafted rookie. “It was just one of those games where everything went right.”
    It was one of the crowning moments for Jackson in what turned out to be an outstanding senior season. He was the first player in Millsaps history to return two punts for a touchdown in a single-game and in a season. He also led the SCAC in receptions (59), yards (661), touchdowns (9) and kick return average (22.7). He also averaged 17.3 yards per punt return.
    It is his return ability that got him noticed by the Steelers.
    “They’re giving me a chance to return punts right now,” said Jackson. “Hopefully, I’ll get a shot at kickoffs too. But I know that I really have to show them something as a return guy. A guy in my position, all you can do is try to make the most of your shot.”
    Jackson could get a little more of a look than most other rookies because of his return ability. The Steelers used first-round pick Santonio Holmes as their primary punt return man last season, but with Holmes slated to start at wide receiver opposite Hines Ward, the team may be looking to limit his special teams play.
    And with Willie Reid having missed most of his rookie season and the team’s offseason workouts with foot problems, the door may be open for Jackson.
    “I hope so,” he said. “I’m going to give it my best shot. We’ll see if that’s good enough.”
    Would have like to see more of Willie Reid but this guy doesn't sound bad
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Interesting read. Hopefully the Steelers could find a spot for him if he ignites a spark.

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    He has SOooooooooooooooo much to prove! I highly doubt that we will see him around for the season!

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Clevestinks View Post
    He has SOooooooooooooooo much to prove! I highly doubt that we will see him around for the season!
    That's funny, we use to say the samething about you, but what do ya know here you are.....
    Seriously though, I only know what I've read never seen the kid play but stranger things have been know to happen.
    Look at Willie Parker...
    Last edited by Captcoolhand; 07-05-2007 at 02:02 PM.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I'm all for giving Chris Jackson a shot to be the return man....The Steelers have a need for one since Willie Reid hasn't shown he is tough enough to play in the NFL.....These nagging injuries are not good for Reid...If healthy I think he could be a great return guy....I know Holmes can return kicks/punts but I rather him just concentrate on being a WR......

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Right now Jackson has a leg up on Reid....Jackson is healthy and Reid isn't. If Reid continues to stay hobbled it's going to keep the door open for Chris to step in and get more playing time in the return game.

Hell get a shot and well see

Realistically he has a very small chance to make the 52 man roster.
    But as stated earlier if Reid's foot injury lingers and keeps him off the field for an extended amount of time in training camp or the regular season (which I surely hope doesn't happen,knock on wood) and/or Dallas Baker doesn't impress he may just find a spot after all.
    I like his size and I always root for the underdog, but I don't see him being able to beat out a healthy Willie Reid.
    Worst case scenario for Chris, I would love to see him signed to the Practice squad.

Thanks House of Steel for the sig and avatar

Tailgate Coordinator
    Hope he does make it, Reid seems injury prone, and I don't want Colcough or Holmes back there anymore.

I'm A "Champion"

Thread Information