Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When does Willie Parker Officially Become THE Pittsburgh Steelers Feature Back?

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Fine

When does Willie Parker Officially Become THE Pittsburgh Steelers Feature Back?

http://mvn.com/nfl-steelers/2007/07/...-feature-back/

By James Pete
    July 3rd, 2007

I know that most of you are going to say publically, “WILLIE PARKER IS the Steeler back, look at what he’s done the last two years!” Of course you would be referencing last season’s 1,494 yard, and the Super Bowl season’s 1,202 yards. On the outside, you are going to provide the world with “Fast” Willie Parker support. You’re going to make Willie Parker sound like the second coming of Walter Payton.

On the inside, however, you aren’t going to be thinking that. On the inside you’re going to be thinking back to the 6′2″, 230 pound Franco Harris, that pounded through defensive lines to the tune of four Super Bowls. You are going to be thinking about 6′2″, 225 pound Merril Hoge. You are thinking about fireplug Barry Foster at 5′9″, but 230 pounds. You think about 6′0″, 250 pound Bam Morris (and remember that the offense just wasn’t as good with scatback Errick Pegram back there with Morris). Finally, you think about 5′11″ Jerome Bettis. All were BIG, North/South trap runners who would make you pay if you got in front of them. Then there’s 5′10″, 210 pound burner Willie Parker. No, he’s not a typical Steeler back at all.

Most of you are thinking it, admit it. Most of you are secretly hoping that Najeh Davenport takes his 6′1″, 247 lb frame, and uses it for better purposes than dumping in garbage cans. You’re hoping he realizes his potential, and takes the job from Parker. Most of you groaned when they sighed when they signed 6′1″, 235 pound Kevan Barlow, and secretly hoped that his sloppy performances for San Francisco and New York were because they WEREN’T the Steelers. Most of you silently CHEERED, when they resigned the 5′10, 225 lb lifetime reserve, Verron Haynes, hoping that he could get a chance to become a North/South runner…WHO CAN CATCH! Most of you then think, “and you could use Willie Parker in between those other guys. You know, he’s a good change of pace back.”

In the back of every Steelers’ fans’ mind is the thought that Willie Parker isn’t consistent enough to be the every down back for the Steelers. You see some 60 yard performances in between the 130 and 200 yard performances, and figure we’d be better off with that back that blows out 90 yards a game. Most see the 13 touchdowns that Willie Parker scored last year without a consistent BIG back, and cheered…but figured he was only going to be asked to do it one year.

You can’t get over his size, and what he does with it. You can’t get over that he has games where defensive penetration stops him in his tracks, but he always manages to get it back the next game. You can’t get over the fear that someone so small, has to be fragile, even though he’s only missed one game in his two years as a starter. Most of you see a bit of a fractured line, and think that a back that can plow THROUGH a defense, is better than one that can AVOID a defense.

You secretly hoped that T.J. Duckett would find his way to a Steeler contract. You danced with thoughts of Ron Dayne coming from Denver. You never told anyone, but wanted that punk from Baltimore to give it a shot behind the Steeler line. Imagine, Jamal Lewis, at 6′0″ and 240 pounds, gearing up to shred the Browns, again, behind the Steelers front five. You had visions of LenDale White during last season’s draft. You had visions of Tony Hunt in this one’s.

What you didn’t have, was visions of another season with a 1,500 yard back that was such a different style runner than any that we are used to. You see Erric Pegram when you see Willie Parker. You don’t see the All-Pro, that was just as much of the guts in the Super Bowl run two years ago as Jerome Bettis.
    I know that’s how you feel, because as much as I hate to admit it, I feel the same way.
    When do you…do WE…allow for the fact that FAST Willie Parker is THE Pittsburgh Steelers #1 option out of the backfield?

I’m starting today.
    Let’s hope that Davenport, Barlow and Haynes can FIT IN with our very own 1,500 yard All-Pro. Let’s look forward to the defenses that STILL take him for granted, and get roasted for the big gain, and the big game.
    Let’s get ready for Willie Parker to be the Feature Back that he already is.

This was one of the comments that was left at the site :

Mike says:

July 4th, 2007 at 4:02 pm
    …Blah, blah, blah. I’m so sick of hearing that Willie’s not the man. He’s not the big back we need. He can’t run between the tackles and he can’t withstand the pounding. That’s just garbage. Willie Parker is not the problem fellas…he is our best offensive player and a playmaker at that! Let us improve our line and we could run the ball all day! Heck, most of the time we do. 2700 yards and double digit tds in two years is quite impressive. Many of you naysayers say he didn’t run vs. the Ratbirds and other tough teams. I say the line got manhandled and LT couldn’t run behind our line in those games. Our D shut down Larry Johnson…does that mean he stinks??? I don’t think so. Just as I don’t think we need the desired “big back”. Quit crying and be happy for Fast Willie and support our most valuable player!

I agree with the majority of that, that's why I included it. The only thing I didn't really agree with is that I don't think it would hurt to have a "big back"--and we DO have some big ones with Verron, Najeh, and Kevan. It's just that they're acceptable, and maybe even good--just not "incredible" like we'd like our big rb to be.

But to ME, our "feature back" (Willie) IS incredible over-all. He's not perfect, but then no one is.
    Last edited by SteelersWoman; 07-04-2007 at 09:32 PM.

If this is not a very brilliant post, then you have something terribly wrong with your mind. Thank you for sharing this great read. I agree with Mike on his post comments about the logic of what the Steeler Nation have been saying all along. I actually didn't have a problem with Willie become our every down back. The man has proven that he can fork the load. I am hoping someone does step up and become a consistent back up for Willie. I am worried about that one.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I have to disagree somewhat, sorry. And that is no knock on Parker. He has been a good RB for us. But........consistency!!!! You don't get that with a speed back has your main back. No team does really. A power back can control a game. A fast back can't. You need something else (power back or good short passing game) to help control a game.
    Maybe I've just watched #36 take over games so many times for us I'm biased? Nah, I just prefer that type of game to be honest. High % passes, pound the hell out of the D, take a few shots down field and you win games. You have to play D too of course. And that is what worries me. Out D is sooooooo much better when we control the clock and has been.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    I have to disagree somewhat, sorry. And that is no knock on Parker. He has been a good RB for us. But........consistency!!!! You don't get that with a speed back has your main back. No team does really. A power back can control a game. A fast back can't. You need something else (power back or good short passing game) to help control a game.
    Maybe I've just watched #36 take over games so many times for us I'm biased? Nah, I just prefer that type of game to be honest. High % passes, pound the hell out of the D, take a few shots down field and you win games. You have to play D too of course. And that is what worries me. Out D is sooooooo much better when we control the clock and has been.
    i used to think like this, then i realized that we are in a new era......... ppl need to throw that power back idea out the window now, we're not that type of team no more, willie is perfect for what we are gonna be doing, no more of this conservative bullshit that we have seen for so many years from cowher, we are finally gonna use our talent, ben will get to show the world he is a top notch qb, heath will show he's a top notch te, holmes and hines will be used the right way, and willie will get to run free cause ppl will be so worried about our passing game, and willie will break even more runs with his speed, a fat back in this new system wouldn't work, they'd get 10 yards and then tackled, willie will get 40 yards lol............. so i think will will be the feature back because no more are the days of run run run run run run run run run.......... we will finally see a great mixture of passing and running, and in a good mixture willie will be perfect for it, cause he can also be used in the passing game

and that **** you talked about may win games, but it doesn't win superbowls, we didn't win it all until we finally opened up the offense..........
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    But to ME, our "feature back" (Willie) IS incredible over-all. He's not perfect, but then no one is.

I agree 110%

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I still want a big back to have in our arsenal, for short yardage and change of pace. I think every team needs to have that 1-2 punch by having both types of backs.

Having said that we are in a new era and this isn't our same old Steelers; 3yds and a cloud of dust type of deal. The pound em, grind em out, run first offense is gone now. Willie is in a system that suits his talents and this should be a really big year for him provided the OL shapes up. We're still going to be a running team and a team that stops the run first but the emphasis won't soley be on the run anymore like it used to be.

Everyone here has some very good valid points. Koopa touched up on what I used to believe in also. This offensive plan that Bruce Arians is bringing into play sounds very exciting and upbeat. Given the history of Arians, I am just very caution of him. His history is not very bright given that he did the OC stunt in Cleveland. Granted, Ben is being given the keys to the offense and taking more control. I would just love to see him get back into the rookie stance he had.

iM A BIG FAN OF THE pOWER BACK. WILLIE IS GETTING DONE AND I LIKE TO SEE HIS SPEED IT KILLS. BUT HE CANT PICK UP THE BLITZ AND HE NEEDS TO MAN UP IN BETWEEN THE TACKLES. HE CANT REYLY ON GETTING TO THE OUTSIDE EVERY TIME. BUT MAN WHEIN GETS UP IN TO THE SECONDARY HE IS GONE

My Mood
    Addicted
    I was just having this conversation the other night. I am a big believer in the one two punch. I like having a speed back and a bruiser. Willie Parker just doesn't seem to have that power behind him. We just have to find someone who compliments him.

My Mood
    Horny
    i like willie a lot i think is numbers speak for them self the guy is very unshelfish and knows how to get the job done. i say put the ball in his hands on any given down. The guy is a workhorse and imo i say the more that the ball is in his hands the better chance we have a winning more football games!

Thread Information