Thread: Final judgment....court ends Raiders suit.

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

Final judgment....court ends Raiders suit.

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- The Oakland Raiders lost their case in California's top court Monday after contending in a lawsuit that the NFL sabotaged the team's effort to build a stadium at Hollywood Park in Los Angeles.

The case dates back more than 20 years when Raiders managing partner Al Davis accused the league of purposely not doing enough to help the team move from the antiquated Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum to a new stadium complete with revenue-generating luxury suites. The Raiders returned to Oakland in 1995 after spending 13 years in Los Angeles.

The NFL won a 9-3 verdict in 2001, but Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Richard Hubbell ordered a new trial amid accusations that one juror was biased against the team and Davis, and that another juror committed misconduct.

A state appeals court overturned that decision, and the California Supreme Court unanimously ruled Monday that the verdict against the Raiders stands.

The juror said he joked that he hated the Raiders because he had once wagered on the team and lost. The juror said he made the comment as a way to ease tensions during deliberations and that none of his colleagues took the joke seriously.

The Supreme Court also declined to order a new trial based on accusations that a second juror, who was a lawyer, gave other jurors information about the law that the judge did not provide.
    The state's highest court said it had little choice but to give the league the victory because the trial court judge didn't provide any details on the alleged misconduct.

"We are pleased that this lengthy litigation is finally over," said NFL spokesman Joe Browne.

Raiders lawyer Jeff Birren called the ruling "incomprehensible" and complained that the team lost only because "the judge failed to insert a few additional words of explanation."

The ruling Monday was the last of several lawsuits the Raiders had outstanding against the league and its stadium landlords.

"A clean sweep is a fair characterization," NFL attorney Greg Levy said.
    In November, the Raiders and the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Authority ended a decade of legal acrimony by dropping existing lawsuits and ending the seat-licensing plan known as personal seat licenses or "PSLs."

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

This is a bit off topic but,

I was born and partly raised in LA I always hated the fact that the raiders moved there. I was sooo happy when they went back to Oakland. I went to a game one time because my buddy had tickets and it was a horrible experience. The raiders attract the worst crowd. The crowd was mostly gangbangers. Even though I lived around and went to school with a lot of mexican gangbangers this was different. I just felt like shots were gonna ring out at any time. They never did, but it was hard to enjoy the game. In fact, I can't even remember who they were playing.

Anyway, I hate the raiders and Al Davis and don't think they deserve to win ANYTHING! So this is good news.

Sig by BR7

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by RckyMtnStlrFan View Post
    This is a bit off topic but,

I was born and partly raised in LA I always hated the fact that the raiders moved there. I was sooo happy when they went back to Oakland. I went to a game one time because my buddy had tickets and it was a horrible experience. The raiders attract the worst crowd. The crowd was mostly gangbangers. Even though I lived around and went to school with a lot of mexican gangbangers this was different. I just felt like shots were gonna ring out at any time. They never did, but it was hard to enjoy the game. In fact, I can't even remember who they were playing.

Anyway, I hate the raiders and Al Davis and don't think they deserve to win ANYTHING! So this is good news.
    thats funny, I thought that acting like cheaters and unprofessional was more of an act

Heard this already on Sirius earlier in the week

Won't matter though,,,,,them raiders will still cry about the ref's & league
    cheating them outta games-----

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The Supreme Court also declined to order a new trial based on accusations that a second juror, who was a lawyer, gave other jurors information about the law that the judge did not provide.
    The state's highest court said it had little choice but to give the league the victory because the trial court judge didn't provide any details on the alleged misconduct.
    Sounds like something fishy going on there

Well either way, the Raiders will be the Raiders...the rejects of the NFL that love to get in trouble.

My Mood
    Angry
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Sounds like something fishy going on there

Well either way, the Raiders will be the Raiders...the rejects of the NFL that love to get in trouble.
    Until Al Davis steps down or kicks the bucket I don't think the Raiders will make any major improvements any time soon.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    That man will be buried in that work out suit he wears 24/7

My Mood
    Angry
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    That man will be buried in that work out suit he wears 24/7
    Something tells me Al wont be buried.
    He'll have himself freeze dried and stuffed while wearing the work out suit and placed on display in the Raiders Front Office.

Thread Information