View Poll Results: Should Ticket Scalping Be legal?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

6 50.00%
  • no

6 50.00%

Thread: Should scalping be legal?

Bookmark and Share
    SA Affiliate - Sports Jabber Deb's Avatar

Should scalping be legal?

New York governor signs bill ending ticket scalping restrictions

ALBANY, N.Y. – Open your wallets, Yankees fans. New York scalpers can now legally sell tickets to the highest bidder without fear of getting pinched.

Gov. Eliot Spitzer signed a measure officially ending the limits on how much brokers add to the face price.

The previous law – widely ignored even before it was replaced Friday – limited markups to 45 percent for tickets to large venues such as Yankee Stadium and Madison Square Garden, and 20 percent for facilities with fewer than 6,000 seats, including Broadway theaters.

A few of the old regulations remain, however, including the ban on scalpers selling tickets within 1,500 feet of the larger arenas and within 500 feet of smaller venues. Large-volume brokers must also register with the state.

Critics said the new law will lead to higher prices in the secondary market, while supporters argued that it would make tickets more widely available.

Associated Press

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Of course it shouldn't be legal, scalpers keep the every day fan from seeing games. Just look at the ticketmaster debacle this year. All the tickets were gone within a matter of minutes and 100-1 odds says that scalpers and ticket companies bought up the vast majority of them. Then they sell them at outrageous prices so the average who can only afford to go to 1 or 2 games a year, if even that many, can't even get tickets now !

Someone was picking at my mind and spoke what I thought. Thank you.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This stuff just pisses me off. It's hard enough to get tickets as it is even when you send in the forms like they used to do it because you never were guaranteed your top choices or even to get tickets at all but atleast you knew you had a pretty chance of getting tickets to a game if you sent your form in right away.

Now you log on and everything is taken, or you call up ever ticketmaster number known to man and it's busy or your on hold all day. Worse yet you visit a ticketmaster location in your area but none of them are open early enough for you to get tickets that way either.

It's one thing to buy tickets and then sell them if you can't go but these people who buy tons of tix and don't even care about the games like we do !

My Mood
    Amazed

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    This stuff just pisses me off. It's hard enough to get tickets as it is even when you send in the forms like they used to do it because you never were guaranteed your top choices or even to get tickets at all but atleast you knew you had a pretty chance of getting tickets to a game if you sent your form in right away.

Now you log on and everything is taken, or you call up ever ticketmaster number known to man and it's busy or your on hold all day. Worse yet you visit a ticketmaster location in your area but none of them are open early enough for you to get tickets that way either.

It's one thing to buy tickets and then sell them if you can't go but these people who buy tons of tix and don't even care about the games like we do !
    I was amazed to see all the Steeler tickets for sale on ebay. I only looked there because someone here (I don't remember who) said probably all the tickets sold through ticketmaster would be for sale on ebay. He/She knew what he/she was talking about. I have never seen so many Steeler tickets for sale on ebay, all at inflated prices of course lol
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

Reppin' 724
    I say legalize it.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    It really doesn't matter to me one way or another...I really can bash scalpers since I have purchased tickets from them in the past so I help to create the problem of fans paying over the top prices for tickets....But hey if I want to see an event bad enough then I'm willing to pay the price if I can afford it....

It looks like I won't be able to get pay the piper this year since I'm not making as good of money this year but oh well...I have Sunday Ticket so its all good....

Tailgate Coordinator
    No, you should not be able to sell tickets above face value. It isn't fair to anybody, not even the teams that our selling them.

I'm A "Champion"

#1 Hater of the other 30 SteelCityMan786's Avatar
    I say keep it illegal. And say they can only sell for it 0.00. Any money value. fines of at least $20,000 MINIMUM.

Thread Information