Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which stance for agent of Steelers' Polamalu?

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted

Which stance for agent of Steelers' Polamalu?

Two-part question: How much do we really know about veteran agent Marvin Demoff, who represents Steelers safety Troy Polamalu? Considering his track record, how much do we want to know?

Enough to know that anything is possible with Demoff -- from a speedy contract resolution between Polamalu and the Steelers, to a prolonged contract stalemate, and all the possibilites in between.
    In other words, expect the unexpected.
    Demoff is an old-school negotiator based in Los Angeles who has a history with the Steelers, although not necessarily a great one.

He's old enough to have represented former Steelers cornerback Rod Woodson, who was the team's first-round draft pick in 1987. Woodson held out, missed his first NFL training camp and didn't sign until October.

On the other hand, Polamalu, the Steelers' first-round pick in 2003, didn't hold out, signed in July and participated in his first NFL training camp.
    Demoff can be accommodating or unyielding. It all depends on whom he represents and the needs of that particular client.

Polamalu's original contract ends following the 2007 season. The Steelers don't have to do a thing. They can permit him to play out his deal and then slap a franchise tag on him for the next two seasons if he doesn't agree to their terms.

That wouldn't be a particularly nice way of doing business with one of the Steelers' best and most popular players, but it would be the price of doing business with a smaller-market team.

Demoff is trying to hammer out a deal for Polamalu this offseason, because the Steelers don't negotiate in season. Considering Polamalu has a year remaining on his original deal, what takes place between now and the Sept. 9 opener at Cleveland could be revealing.

Traditionally, the Steelers prefer to re-sign their core players the year before their contract ends.

Not signing Polamalu this offseason doesn't mean a new deal won't get done. But it would send the wrong message to players and fans.

Given that linebacker Joey Porter was released after not securing the contract he wanted, and given that unhappy Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca has already promised to leave when his contract runs out after next season, the Steelers need to re-sign Polamalu as a sign of good faith.
    That's where Demoff, who has scaled back his workload, enters the picture. He needs a big score, just as Polamalu does.

After representing Hall of Famers Dan Marino and John Elway, Demoff has suffered some significant losses in recent years. High-profile clients such as running backs Larry Johnson and Corey Dillon, defensive end Julius Peppers and quarterback Chris Simmns cut their ties with Demoff. That leaves Polamalu, tackle Jonathan Ogden and linebackers Donnie Edwards and Junior Seau among Demoff's remaining big-name clients.

So far, Polamalu is adopting a low-key, goodwill approach in negotiations. That could change if Demoff, who's already shown the Steelers he can drive a hard bargain, is unable to secure Ed Reed type of money for Polamalu.

Reed, the Baltimore Ravens safety, signed a six-year contract in 2006 featuring a reported $15 million guaranteed -- the new standard for elite safties.

How successful Demoff is in negotiating a Reed-like contract for Polamalu could likely foretell which Demoff the Steelers encounter in the coming days:
    The Demoff who negotiated Polamalu's rookie deal. Or the Demoff who represented Woodson when he held out 20 years ago.

By John Harris
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Thursday, June 28, 2007
    We can sit here and hope and pray that Polamalu gets resigned, or we can sit here and think Troy will resign no matter what. The personalities and how we view a player shouldn't come into play here. The bottom line to any contract negotiations is its a business, from both parties stand point. This could get ugly or it could be pretty, time will tell.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

I truly hope that Polamalu will sign regardless. I am holding my breath on this one in the thinking, "We don't need to worry here."

All signs point to Troy being a classy player and just happy to be playing... I don't think Troy will hold out... it just doesn't fit his character His deal will come and I think we'll see him in a Steeler uniform for a long time!

I think I'll commit suicide if Troy doesn't resign with the Steelers. Troy is needed so badly for our defense is not even funny. If I were Dick LeBeau, I would beg and pleed with Tomlin and the FO to resign this guy now. That is one thought. Another thought: it is early. Let's see, it is: June 28th. That leaves us July and August to get a deal done. Plenty of time. Remember in 2005 when Casey Hampton needed a new contract? Yeah, if the Steelers FO has a 1/3 of a brain they will resign Troy NOW. I couldn't stand seeing Troy in another uniform. I wouldn't care who it was either, I would just go crazy not seeing him in the Black n' Gold.

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die."

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    I would've never thought that Alan would do what he's doing, (I thought he was a Steeler at heart and would want to retire as one) so nothing would surprise me.

I WANT, and we NEED Troy to stay, but it's getting fewer and fewer guys who'll play for less than what the other guys in their position are getting. You could probably count on one hand the guys left in the NFL who are loyal to a team and will do whatever it takes to stay with them. I sure hope Troy's one of them!

I bet Joey would gladly give back that extra money he's getting as a Dolphin if he could go back in time and act like he was happy with his pay as a Steeler...

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    All signs point to Troy being a classy player and just happy to be playing... I don't think Troy will hold out... it just doesn't fit his character His deal will come and I think we'll see him in a Steeler uniform for a long time!

Good read Deisel
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersWoman View Post
    I would've never thought that Alan would do what he's doing, (I thought he was a Steeler at heart and would want to retire as one) so nothing would surprise me.

I WANT, and we NEED Troy to stay, but it's getting fewer and fewer guys who'll play for less than what the other guys in their position are getting. You could probably count on one hand the guys left in the NFL who are loyal to a team and will do whatever it takes to stay with them. I sure hope Troy's one of them!

I bet Joey would gladly give back that extra money he's getting as a Dolphin if he could go back in time and act like he was happy with his pay as a Steeler...
    Good post. I agree with it all.
    I would be devastated to see Troy with another team. I feel that it is almost inevitable that he will sign before thie season starts but until he does I have some worry in the back of my mind.
    As for J.Peezy he will always be a Steeler at heart.

Thanks House of Steel for the sig and avatar

SA Affiliate - Sports Jabber Deb's Avatar

SHOWDOWN LOOMING FOR STEELERS, POLAMALU? by Michael David Smith

SHOWDOWN LOOMING FOR STEELERS, POLAMALU?
    by Michael David Smith

LINK
    John Harris of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review raises the question today of whether the Steelers should be worried about Marvin Demoff, the agent who represents safety Troy Polamalu.

Harris notes that Polamalu's contract expires after the 2007 season, and that the Steelers would prefer to get a deal done before the season. Harris says the Steelers won't negotiate during the season, so the Sept. 9 opener is the deadline for a deal to get done, or else the Steelers would have to slap the franchise tag on Polamalu in 2008 or risk losing him as an unrestricted free agent.

But there doesn't seem to be much news here, other than the fact that, like all players, Polamalu would like to be well compensated and that, like all teams, the Steelers would like to keep one of their top players without breaking the bank.

Harris draws a comparison between Polamalu and Rod Woodson, another Demoff client, who held out before signing his rookie contract with the Steelers in 1987. But the Woodson case couldn't be more different. Woodson held out until late October of 1987 for two reasons that have no bearing at all on Polamalu's situation: First, Woodson and Demoff wanted to see how the 1987 NFL players' strike would affect rookie salaries, and they thought they'd be in a better bargaining position once the league and the union had resolved that issue. Second, Woodson was a two-sport athlete who had the option of running track professionally in Europe, which at the time could provide a salary competitive with what the Steelers were offering him.

The NFL players aren't about to go on strike, and Polamalu isn't about to start playing a different sport, making any comparison with Woodson's 1987 situation meaningless.

Bottom line: A contract extension for Polamalu should be a high priority for the Steelers and is an issue to keep an eye on, but we're still a few months away from the point where anyone needs to worry about a contract stalemate.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    At this point I wouldn't think that Troy would hold out either but then again I didn't think that Hines ever would.

It's in our best interest to sign him now before the season starts, break the bank for the guy, he's the best safety in the league or at the very worst a top 2 safety IMO. We have the option of the franchise tag and we've used it before but not that often.

I've never agreed with the paychecks high profile players are getting these days. But I do think Troy deserves a helluva paycheck. He is a Steeler through and through and he is at the top at SS. We cannot afford to lose him! I think/hope Tomlin and the FO are smart enough to pay him and keep him.

I would also lose my cookies every time I saw him in anything but Black-n-Gold.

Sig by BR7

Thread Information