Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All time players

Bookmark and Share

All time players

Guys i was thinking,
    Obviuosly from a Steeler point of view names are gonna come thick and fast, but over the last 30 years how many steelers do you think would or should make an all time team. Ie PLayers that were sooooo good nothing you did about them changed anything.

Players like Lawrence Taylor who redifined the OLB position
    Joe Montana - class,
    Barry Saunders - words fail.

Do you think any Steeler should or could join this list for players in the last 30 years. I very much doubt there will be anyone from the 80's teams.

To be honest the ONLY two steeler players i think could join them would be
    Rod Woodson and Jerome Bettis.

Anyone else?

Rod Woodson for sure, I would agree on that. Jerome Bettis, without a question of the doubt. I think Carnell Lake and Yancey Thigpen could be on the honorable mention list. We had some great quality players.

Jack Lambert, Mean Joe Greene...

I think I could speak for all of us here and say most of the 70s Dynasty players belong on the list. I have met quite a few of them guys. We are trying to get a couple of old timers to show up for signings at a Car Show in Altoona next month.

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco32Harris View Post
    I think I could speak for all of us here and say most of the 70s Dynasty players belong on the list. I have met quite a few of them guys. We are trying to get a couple of old timers to show up for signings at a Car Show in Altoona next month.
    Isn't that going to be kinda hard for you to do being that you are going to be out of town.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

i was trying to do this link without members of the 70's teams but Jack Lambert can sneak in as he played till 84.

Mean joe green did he really define what it was to be DE? Nah i don't think so.

Carnell Lake yes, quality

Yancy thigpen... good but no

My point is that over the last 30 years apart from now

Woodson
    Bettis
    Lambert
    Lake

have we really had outstanding players for postion or have we just had great "teams"

The more indiviual players you can think of the more i will stop thinking we just had great teams.

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
    I cant think of another WR that blocks like Hines.....as far as tuff centers go #52 Iron Mike Webster would be hard to beat. One of the best pulling centers to ever play the game was Dawson back in the 90's. I think we got a few players on the team right now that are on the verge of being great for their own reason folks like Keisal if this rover DE/LB thing works out and Troy with the rover SS/LB blitz/zone from the middle works.

Just my thoughts

Captcoolhand, I meant to say, I am going to be at this car show. The creator is trying to get in touch with a couple of the old timers and seeing if they would like to help out and raise some money for charity. I am from Somerset, but not too far from Altoona. Maybe I didn't comprehend you post right, if not, sincere apologies.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Bettis and Woodson without a doubt would go on that last, I'd also consider putting Hines on that list as well as far as modern day players go. 70's players, well geez you could virtually put any and all of them on their too.

When you sit back and think about those players, it really is staggering how much each of them contributed to the dynasty of that era and how important they really were.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzburghpete View Post
    Mean joe green did he really define what it was to be DE? Nah i don't think so.
    Well, since he played DT...

If you don't think he revolutionized defensive tackles, you never saw him play.

He created lining up at an angle in between gaps to take up more players and be more explosive. He was one of the most double/triple teamed players in the history of the NFL. Without him, there would have been no Steel Curtain, he took up two or three guys every play and still managed to put up impressive stats.

Joe Greene deserves to be on this list as much as any other player in NFL history.

Thread Information