Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fan Walk-out Planned on Saturday

espn in with pirates owners

I just wanted to let everyone know that I posted a message on the espn board about the June 30th Pirate protest and they deleted it. I then went into another thread and posted it as if to hide it and they deleted that thread as well. Why do they care if we exercise our constitutional rights. ESPN is as big of a joke as Pirates Mang. What a bunch of jerks!! Anyway june 30th walk out of the game in the 3RD. Go to iratefans.com

Sounds like a waste of a ticket?

Yes, but it is to bring attention to 15 straight years of being under 500 and the lack of ownership doing anything to change it.

How about on the day of the protest we tie it in with a "refuse to buy gasoline" protest that way we will be sending two messages with one activity.

Thanks to BB2W for the sig

#1 Hater of the other 30 SteelCityMan786's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSteelMenace View Post
    Yes, but it is to bring attention to 15 straight years of being under 500 and the lack of ownership doing anything to change it.
    They sure do nothing.

Tailgate Coordinator
    Being a union man I can totally applaud what you are trying to do. It would and is a tough task to accomplish.If you get at least 500 people to do it, I would call it a small success. But the bottom line, it takes alot more than that. People not going to a game or two, would be a bigger accomplishment. By the way, I think ESPN is wrong for not posting your message.
    Last edited by Stlrs4Life; 06-21-2007 at 09:24 PM.

I'm A "Champion"

Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    Sounds like a waste of a ticket?
    And staying for the whole game isn't?
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar

Fan Walk-out Planned on Saturday

It's about time... How long has it been now since they've put a competitive team on the field? ......15, 16 years?

http://kdka.com/sports/local_sto...63648.html

Mass Protest Planned at Pirates’ Game On Saturday

(KDKA) PITTSBURGH Some concerned local Pittsburgh Pirates fans are hoping that their grassroots campaign will spark a change in the team’s front office.

Meeting in front of the Roberto Clemente statue on Federal Street at PNC Park, a small group of supporters gathered to address the media in regards to a planned protest during Saturday night’s game between the Pirates and the Washington Nationals.

The group responsible for the protest, called Fans For Change, was formed by Andrew Chomos, a businessman from Wexford, and Sean Lucas, an MBA student at Duquesne University.

Chomos said that the protest will begin at 6 p.m. by the Clemente statue, where there will be a “Petition for Change” available for signing as well as a number of speakers.

Chomos mentioned that one of the speakers will be a member of the 1971 Pirates team that won the World Series.

He will not be introduced until Saturday.

Chomos said when he spoke to the player about the organization, he “broke down in tears 20 minutes into the conversation” when discussing the Pirates’ current state.

The group has then asked fans who are attending Saturday evening’s game to all stand up and leave their seats at the end of the third inning.

Fans are asked to wear green t-shirts to represent, as Chomos put it, “money leaving the stadium and organization.”

The aim of the protest is to raise public awareness about the financial situation of the Pittsburgh Pirates.

The Pirates had the fourth-lowest major league payroll last season, despite being among baseball’s most profitable teams, according to Forbes Magazine’s website.

Once the public has been made aware of this situation, Chomos and Lucas intend to force the Pirates to be held accountable and shake up their operation.

Chomos says that he wants the Pirates to open their books to the public and issue a CPA report.

“When you bring $240 million of state and taxpayer money into a business, you have an obligation to the taxpayers and to the fans,” said Chomos.

Lucas added the Pirates are “an organization with multiple market stakeholders” and are failing in their responsibility to meet their shareholders’ interests.

The group is urging people to stay away from PNC Park despite the allure of fireworks and giveaways.

“Trinkets, bobbleheads, blankets, visors…we’ve got enough [stuff] in our houses guys. We don’t need any more of it,” said Chomos. “Don’t be like sheep led to slaughter. Be bigger than that. Stay away from the trinkets.”

While only a handful of people showed up to the press conference, Chomos stated that there are roughly 8,000 people on the group’s e-mail list.

For those supporters who attended the press conference, their message to the Pirates was clear: the front office should be held responsible.

“They’re making money hand over fist. They’re running it like a business, and they’re not really that concerned with the entertainment value of what they’re putting on the field,” said Tracy Koebnick of Bradford Woods.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I hope a lot of people follow through with this. I don't know how much good it will do, but atleast it sends a message.

It will be very interesting to see how this turns out. I hope it gets the result the organizers are looking for.

Thread Information