Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Say it ain't so, Bill ... How dare Cowher talk to Cleveland

Bookmark and Share

Say it ain't so, Bill ... How dare Cowher talk to Cleveland

Say it ain't so, Bill ... How dare Cowher talk to Cleveland

Sunday, June 24, 2007
    By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The story was bizarre, the reaction to it almost laughable. An Internet site reported last week that Bill Cowher has had secret talks with officials from the Washington Redskins, Carolina Panthers and Cleveland Browns to explore a possible return to coaching in 2008. You would have thought the world was ending, to listen to the talk shows and saloon conversations around here. How dare he? The nerve of the man. The Browns?

Get over it, Pittsburgh.

Cowher owes you nothing. He owes the Steelers nothing. What? You thought he wasn't going to coach again? You're naive and foolish. Darn right he's going to coach again, sooner rather than later.

And why not Cleveland?

In a lot of ways, Cleveland is the perfect fit.

That isn't to say Cowher has talked to the Browns. It's hard to believe he or his agent has spoken to any of the teams. He's too big in the game to have to sneak around to find out what's going on. He should have too much respect for the coaches of those teams to do that. Maybe he hasn't been in the position of the Redskins' Joe Gibbs, 66, a Hall of Famer who probably will retire for good after the coming season. But he has been in the shoes of the Browns' Romeo Crennel and the Panthers' John Fox. He, too, was a coach under fire during the '98, '99 and '00 seasons when the Steelers failed to make the playoffs and he was fortunate the Rooneys picked him over player personnel man Tom Donahoe in their little power struggle. He wouldn't have appreciated another coach sniffing around for his job then, would he?

When the time comes, almost certainly after this season, Cowher won't need long to find the right team. He figures to go to the highest bidder, the owner that's willing to pay him $8 million per year or more. Why not? This is America, right?

Cowher still would be coaching the Steelers if the Rooneys had come up with the jack. Forget the party line that he wanted to spend more time with his family in North Carolina. He won a Super Bowl and was insulted the team didn't offer him more in a contract extension. That's his right. It's also the right of the Rooneys, who don't overpay for anyone.

Neither side owes the other anything. Cowher gave the Steelers 15 great years. The team compensated him well. If anything, Cowher did the Rooneys a favor by not insisting on coming back as a lame-duck coach this season in the final year of his contract, which would have been a bad situation for everyone. He chose to walk away from about $4 million and sit out the season, not just setting himself up to become an in-demand free agent in January, but enabling the Steelers to get on to the Mike Tomlin era.

And now you want to begrudge Cowher taking his next job?

Wasn't it just a few years ago that so many of us thought he couldn't win the big game and would have loved for him to leave?

Even for Cleveland?

Any number of NFL teams could take a run at Cowher. It wouldn't surprise anyone if Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones fired Wade Phillips after just one season to make a pitch for him. Patience is running thin with New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin. The same is true with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Jon Gruden.

But the Panthers, Redskins and Browns probably make the most sense.

At least the Browns make sense.

Carolina would be convenient for Cowher because of his new mansion in Raleigh, but Fox might not be going anywhere. His five seasons with the Panthers have gone like this: 7-9, Super Bowl, 7-9, NFC championship game, 8-8. Do you see a trend? Fox and the Panthers are on schedule to have a big year.

Washington probably could pay Cowher the most, but does he really want to work for Dan Snyder? Talk about a culture shock after working for the ultra-supportive, ultra-patient Rooneys. Snyder has had five coaches since buying the Redskins in '99, Marty Schottenheimer among them for the '01 season. Do you think Schottenheimer might have a word or two of advice for his good pal, Cowher, about the job? You know, like, run the other way.

Cleveland really might be the best fit for Cowher. He was a Brown long before he was a Steeler, playing for the Browns from '80-82 and coaching them from '85-88. Cleveland fans would love to see him as their coach. They aren't as fortunate as you to be living here. Certainly, they don't know what it's like to experience a championship team. It's not hard to imagine Cowher getting it done for them, doing with Brady Quinn there what he did with Ben Roethlisberger here.

Terrifying?

Get over it.

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I said this from day 1 after he retired that don't be surprised to see BC coach in stainville in 2008. Romeo is on his last chance with the team right now and they would just love to have a coach like Cowher come to that team. It's almost an identical situation in terms of the atmosphere, the fans, the same type of divisional work ethic and football stance, etc.

I'd love to kick his *** twice a year so go ahead Cowher, take the Browns job, we'd love to "greet" you every season with a good *** kicking !

Reppin' 724
    I could care less where he coaches, he won't have a situation in Cleveland like he did in Pittsburgh.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I could careless if Cowher coaches again and if he coaches the Browns....I think he will be back next year.....Its been reported he wants total control...He will fail if he has total control....Plus whatever team that does hire better get ready to choke in conference title games......lol

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    Talks have been on going.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Cowher talking to Cleveland is a very interesting. My initial thoughts had Cowher taking over Carolina in case John Fox got fired. Like someone pointed out, I wouldn't mind Cowher being in Cleveland, gives us two reasons to look forward to seeing him. I know it would be kind of weird to see him coaching a rival.

They are totally right. We all knew that BC was going to coach again. You know the Rooneys were not gonna stack another contract for him. He loves the game of football too much not to coach again. I like Bill and he did a helluva job being a head coach. He will go to the highst bidder. If you think thats Cleveland its not. I wouldnt be suprised to see Bill in Dallas next year. They have the money readily available. If Cowher goes to Cleveland I will hate him. NOT beacuase hes coaching another team or that its a team in our division its just simply because I Hate Cleveland. That being said good luck Coach

My Mood
    Addicted
    Damn Bill, why tarnish your career by going to that hell hole.

Woops

Woops. I said I wouldn't be on here until the season started, but I couldn't resist. I say this is retarded. Why Cleveland? I mean sure, he started there, but that is like kissing the next door neighbor that pisses you off everyday! I know most of you don't care, but I have a thing towards former coaches/players going to rival teams. This is BS, Bill don't do it! I'd rather see you in Carolina or Washing-----wait no Dan Snyder is gay go to San Diego. Norv Turner sucks.

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die."

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    i can't wait for cowher to coach again, it's gonna be fun seeing him fail, it was depressing seeing him fail year after year here cause the steelers are my favorite team, but now i can enjoy watching him flop every year........ he was lucky to have good owners that were to lazy to fire him when they should've........ once he starts coaching, his career will be tarnished cause he isn't a good coach, maybe he should go to arizona so whiz can make him look like he knows what he's doing lol
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Thread Information