Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rookie punter Daniel Sepulveda Q&A....

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

Rookie punter Daniel Sepulveda Q&A....

Part 1

From Paul Carlisle, Sarasota, Florida: What was your first Steelers practice like for you when you came in for mini-camp?

Daniel Sepulveda: It's pretty surreal. Just being around guys that you have only seen on ESPN for so long and now they are your teammates, you are watching them practice and you are out there with them. It's surreal to start off, but once you realize they brought you here because you belong here and they want you here and they know you can compete on this level, once the initial shock wears off you know you belong here and you move on the next phase in your life.

From Lou Winters, Jackson, Mississippi: Was the amount of information thrown at you from the get-go overwhelming at all? Do you feel somewhat like your head is spinning?

Daniel Sepulveda: Maybe for a typical rookie, but as a punter it's just kick the ball. That's all there is to it. Once you settle down and that initial shock wears off it's the same old game, just kick the ball.

From Harry Marx, Beachwood, New Jersey: How much do you think you will benefit from the team's off-season program, getting a chance to learn things before training camp arrives?

Daniel Sepulveda: It's just getting comfortable with everything. You settle in and get comfortable with how the off-season program works with how the training staff works with the players, where everything is. It's just the basic things, but experience goes a long way in improving your performance. The more we can go through now before camp starts, the more successful we will be.

From Dan Pollard, Long Island, New York: How important is it from a punters standpoint to start developing a relationship with your snapper?

Daniel Sepulveda:
    That's the most important. We spend all of practice together. You can't get too much work with whoever that guy is going to be. There is an unspoken bond between the two.

From Terry Jamison, Orlando, Florida: Are you able to hold for extra points and field goals?

Daniel Sepulveda: Yes. I started doing that about three years ago at Baylor knowing that was a requirement almost for punters in the NFL. I started to prepare myself then so it would be a more seamless transition.

From Andrew Fox, Cincinnati, Ohio: From what you are hearing, what do you think will be the biggest adjust to the NFL for you?

Daniel Sepulveda: The biggest difference is tolerance for consistency. Beyond that I would say the emphasis on directional kicking. There are teams in college that do it, but they don't live and die by it. I think in the NFL there are some teams that do strictly directional punting.

From Bill McCullough, Denver, Pennsylvania: Not long from now you will sign a contract and get a signing bonus. What's the first thing you plan on buying with that bonus?

Daniel Sepulveda: My car broke down about a week before the draft. The timing couldn't have worked out better, it was getting pretty old. I wasn't expecting it to die that quickly. I was without a car the last two to three weeks I was at home. I need a car so that will be near the top of the list.

From Ruth West, Sterling, Virginia: What are your first impressions of Coach Tomlin?

Daniel Sepulveda: Football coach. He fits the mold, he is down to business. He can relate to his players very well, but at the same time he is all about business and getting the job done and getting the little things done. He seems very well prepared throughout his career to handle a job like this.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
    I hope they tell this kid not to try to make ever tackle himself

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by ARKIESTEEL View Post
    I hope they tell this kid not to try to make ever tackle himself
    Why? Its not like he's made of glass, he used to be a LB and he still looks the part, plus hes got that LB mentality.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

If they did I don't think he'll listen He's going to lay people out and It's going to be awsome.

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    Why? Its not like he's made of glass, he used to be a LB and he still looks the part, plus hes got that LB mentality.

Then your LB can punt the ball while he is laid out just thought we should let the punter punt and cover kicks if they get past the other guys

My Mood
    Horny
    lol i can't wait for the first time he does lay someone out!!! they will get up stumbling and thinking was that a punter or a brick wall!

I don't think I've ever seen this much excitement over a punter.. I just hope he lives up to all the hype!

Im not scared of our punter getting hurt im scared of the guy he's gonna hit getting hurt.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Directional kicking is a HUGE part of being a punter in the NFL...it plays such a key role especially when you're punting from around midfield or closer so he's going to need to excel at that as much as we need him to just have a big strong leg to get us out of jams.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Ok I just want him to be a great punter....If he lights returners in the process then so be it.....thats a bonus.....

Thread Information