Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin warns team to be ready for tough camp

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Tomlin warns team to be ready for tough camp

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_512704.html

When the final organized team activity session ended Thursday, the Steelers were able to take it easy.

The respite will last until July 23 when training camp begins at St. Vincent College.

Coach Mike Tomlin warned that his team had better report to camp prepared to work.

"I told the group it's going to be extremely tough," Tomlin said yesterday before watching his players disperse. "I'm not apologizing for that. I'm going to put that challenge out there to them. I'm looking forward to training camp."

The players can look forward to an increased emphasis on two-a-day practices, "probably a little heavier than they're used to," Tomlin said.

"It'll give them something to whine about."

The OTAs and the two minicamps the team conducted this offseason were exercises in "multi-tasking," Tomlin said. The goals were to implement a foundation on offense, defense and special teams, emphasize "situational football" (third down, red zone, etc.) while creating "artificial adversity". The goal is to learn how players approach their jobs and glean insight as to "who they are."

The proceedings at St. Vincent will be about winning jobs.

The current depth chart features Chukky Okobi as the starting center, Ike Taylor and Deshea Townsend starting at cornerback and Ryan Clark lining up as the starting free safety.

But the current depth chart, Tomlin emphasized, is "in pencil."

"People want to establish depth charts at this time of year, so be it," Tomlin said. "They change. There are known position battles that will be talked about, but there are also unknown position battles that are going to develop because we're going to go into this thing with no preconceived notions. No jobs are secure. This is not a security business. They gotta play and perform."

The known battles include Okobi and free-agent addition Sean Mahan vying to become Jeff Hartings' replacement at center, Kendall Simmons attempting to hold off Chris Kemoeatu at right guard, Clark and second-year pro Anthony Smith fighting it out at free safety, and the threesome of Taylor, Townsend and Bryant McFadden competing for two starting spots at corner.

There will be potentially less-publicized competition at other positions such as right tackle, where second-year pro Willie Colon is pushing incumbent Max Starks.

"Absolutely, but Willie's pushing a lot of people," Tomlin said. "Willie's been one of the guys we've moved around quite a bit because we want to put him in position to get to that top five and get in where he fits in, if he's capable. Willie's played some guard. Willie's played some tackle. Willie's even tried center.

"Willie's going to push a lot of people."

The regular-season opener is Sept. 9 in Cleveland. The depth chart, presumably, will be in ink by then.

Until then, Tomlin is prepared to let competition dictate all that must be resolved before he leads his first NFL team onto the field against the Browns.

"I kinda like uncertainty at this time of the year," he said. "These guys are in the business of responding to challenges and answering questions. That's kinda the underlying theme that's involved in football."
    Something tells me our guys are in for the camp of their life next month, let's just hope Tomlin doesn't wear them out with all these 2 a days he's talking about doing

Rookie Free Agent
    good I think Tomlin will be good for the team

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
    I hope they come out of camp lean and mean. Which would be a 180 of how they played last year

There is definitely a new sherriff in town!

Waiting for this season is gonna be slow torture....

My Mood
    Smokin
    Quote Originally Posted by memphissteelergirl View Post
    There is definitely a new sherriff in town!

Waiting for this season is gonna be slow torture....
    you got that right...it already has been...

Thanks for the sig Flea

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    For the vets who are used to a Cowher type of camp this will be a HUGE adjustment for them. For the young guys who've never been through an NFL camp they won't have any preconceived notions to fall back on but that won't make it any easier because this will be an experience unlike any college workout they've been through.

This will make us tougher and more focused for the season which is only going to help in the long run.

Mickey Andrews runs a hell of a defense in Tallahassee. Timmons will be ready. So will Woodley, Speath, Sepulveda, and Baker. The rookies will shine!
    Hotlink it and spread the love!

This is just want this team needed... a good swift kick in the ***! There are some key position battles this training camp that is really going to determine the face of the Steelers for the future. Smith and Clark is the one battle I'll have my eyes on because I was highly impressed with Smith from the opening pre-season game last year and all the way through the season. Anthony and Troy are going to be one of those dynamic duo's in the league!

The other battle is who will Colon knock out? He really started to come around last year and made a lot of noise. Sounds like that momentum has carried over to 07!

It's going to be a tough camp and Tomlin is set to separate the men from the boys!

I would also like to see Kemomatu take over Kendell Simmons
    And I hope Smith gets that saftey spot along with McFadden and Taylor at corners

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    For the vets who are used to a Cowher type of camp this will be a HUGE adjustment for them. For the young guys who've never been through an NFL camp they won't have any preconceived notions to fall back on but that won't make it any easier because this will be an experience unlike any college workout they've been through.

This will make us tougher and more focused for the season which is only going to help in the long run.

Shout it from the highest of rooftop, "Camp Creampuff is OVER!"

Both rookies and vets stand to benefit, the vets probably moreso as a result of them needing the extra conditioning after years of an entitlement culture of boys club backslapping.

On another note ... I hope you're feeing better TopGun. Just don't break out the rock candy just yet.

Thread Information