Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for Change

Bookmark and Share

Time for Change

Mybe Im wrong and mybe Im right. I dont know. It seems to me that this might be the perfect time for a change. As a Steeler fan ever since I was a child I do not want to discredit any thin that the Rooneys, his Chinliness, or Coach Dick has ever done. What I do want to say is that Im not afraid of changing to a 4-3 defense. I know 3-4 has proven to work and that it was our bread and butter for the last decade or so but because of increasinly popularity and exclusive film studying the 3-4 is no longer a problem for other teams. True we have had great success using it but it seems lacking the suprise blitzing and zone coverage that it used to.We sitll have players that can play the 3-4 like its supposed to be played and I know we dont exactly have th players needed for a 4-3 but in time we can and I welcome Coach Tomlin and his ideas . Im not afraid of change and now think it may be the time for it.

IMO~~~will be no change on Defense,at least not this year

Our personell is best suited for 3-4 and besides we still got Dick Labeau

Tomlin will put his little twist'a in there and you'll see a combination of several different looks and that's what's gonna confuse our opposing offenses !

Remember we did draft 2 LB's in the 1st two rounds

I just wanna see more pressure on that QB and our secondary play better !

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I think the talk among the coaching staff is using both 3-4 and 4-3 schemes in some kind of hybrid type defense. With Keisel playing a rover type role this year is evidence of that...

agreed

I agree with everything you said. I know it wont happen this year because of the personnel and thats OK Im just saying in years to come Im open and ready for change

My Mood
    Mad
    Well I think in the future Tomlin will continue to run a hybrid type defense.....From what I have read about Coach Tomlin he likes flexible players that can play multi postions that can fit into multi schemes....

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    change is coming, its already started. It will be slow and gradual that way there won't be any letdowns in performance. Some teams like the Brownies have made sudden changes, making wholesale switchovers and are still paying for it years later. I'm not saying we're going to a 4-3, deep down inside I want us to stay 3-4. No matter what we do, I trust LeBeau and company to do the right thing for the Steelers.
    Last edited by DIESELMAN; 06-22-2007 at 08:32 PM.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Mad
    I think when you draft two LBs within the first two rounds gives us an indication that the Steelers are going to use some type of 3-4 even in the future.....Yes Woodley was a DE for the most part in college....But he is dropping weight since he is learning to play OLB for the 3-4.....But then again if Tomlin in the future wanted to run a 4-3 at times then Woodley can then play DE in a 4-3....

As for Timmons he projects to play OLB but he can play ILB also....If Tomlin in the future goes to a 4-3 at times then he would be the Derrick Brooks type LB for us....

Both Woodley/Timmons can play multi positions so the drafting of these two makes me think Coach Tomlin will run a hybrid type defense....

I've always been a fan of the 3-4 and was HIGHLY apposed to change. I like the 3-4 and we are one of the best. That being said, I am starting to lean toward the hybrid 3-4 4-3. If we can pull it off it will further confuse offenses and make our D all the better. We have the personnel for a great 3-4. It also looks like we have players that can play a pretty good 4-3. Mix it up and we can be leathal!

Sig by BR7

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The 34 is still a potent a defense, in fact the trend is that more teams are going that way because there are so many good tweener players out there that can play a big role in a defense like this and it presents so many possibilities for a defense to confuse the offense that when it's run right it can be darn near impossible to stop if you're not used to seeing it.

We've got the talent to run it but last year we just completely fell apart and we had zero pressure on the QB. I like for Lebeau to dial up the pressure like we've never seen it before this year and now with Polamalu and Keisel being guys that can roam around combined with all the other pre snap movements we should be a vastly improved unit come Sept.

As the saying goes, "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

Until we haven't the personel either Lebeau or the players and one of the leagues top defences why change?

I don't mind 3-4 4-3 whatever, go with whats working and now and for the forseable future stay with the 3-4. And what suprizes or difference will changing to a 4-3 do anyway? The league has seen the 4-3 for a lot longer so more schemes to play it.

Look i'm just getting used to the idea of us moving away from a power running game don't go and completely pull the rug under my feet and say our dee will change too!!!!

Thread Information