Thread: HASSELBECK MOM URGES BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR YOUTH COACHES by Michael David Smith

Bookmark and Share
    SA Affiliate - Sports Jabber Deb's Avatar

HASSELBECK MOM URGES BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR YOUTH COACHES by Michael David Smith

HASSELBECK MOM URGES BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR YOUTH COACHES
    by Michael David Smith

LINK

Betsey Hasselbeck, the mother of Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck and Giants backup quarterback Tim Hasselbeck and the wife of former NFL tight end Don Hasselbeck, is spearheading a campaign to promote background checks for youth football coaches.

Hasselbeck, who has been around football her entire adult life, says this has long been a concern of hers.

"As a mother, I'm looking at the coach and I'm thinking 'I don't know about this guy.' He, to me, looked shady, I know that's judging him, but that's a mother's intuition," Betsey Hasselbeck said.

The campaign, which has the support of members of Congress including former Redskins quarterback Heath Shuler, involves a $500,000 contribution from USA Football, a nonprofit organization founded by the NFL and the NFL Players Association.

USA Football recommends that all youth coaches be screened via a national criminal database search, all available state sex offender registries, and a federal terrorist database search.

I think it's a great idea. A search against a sex offender registry is a good place to start but should not be the end of the search.

Although, I don't know that I'd bother checking the federal terrorist database.
    Hotlink it and spread the love!

Thread Information