Thread: Cowher wants everyone to know something about the 2006 season

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Exclamation Cowher wants everyone to know something about the 2006 season

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/patri...800.xml&coll=1

Bill Cowher wants everybody to know something ... the Pittsburgh Steelers' success of 2005 doesn't mean a thing when it comes to the 2006 NFL season.

NOTHING'S FOREVER

Sunday, September 03, 2006

With that jaw of his jutting out, Bill Cowher was not being so much defiant as he was being pragmatic. He was not so much scoffing at the notion of having his team continually being referred to as the defending Super Bowl champions, which the Steelers are, as he was trying to explain to anyone and everyone that last year is best forgotten.

"You guys call us defending champs," Cowher told the media during training camp.

"We're like everybody else. Everybody starts out in last place or first place, however you want to look at it. Last year is last year."

A strange year, too, for the NFL. At least as far as trying to predict winners and losers.

Seven teams that qualified for the playoffs in 2005 were not there in 2004, when five other teams also reached the playoffs that had not been there in 2003.

And in 2003, there were eight teams in the playoffs that were nowhere to be found in 2002.

So, you get the idea. This NFL stuff is all about change.

From year to year.

From week to week.

No one knows this better than Cowher, who is starting his 15th year as Pittsburgh's head coach.
    Just another reason BC is the ultimate motivator, he knows no matter how good you are that on any given sunday anyone can beat you. Staying grounded is the key to this season, staying focused, humble, and keeping your eye on the prize 1 week at a time.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Couldn't have said it better BRC. They better stay motivated if they want a shot at another title! Nobody cares what they did last year now.

BC has always been good about not dwelling on the past and not look to far into the future. Not that I could play at the competitive level of the NFL, but when I see him getting all pumped up on the sidelines he makes me what to suit and go to war with him! He is a great motivator!

SA's #1 James Farrior Fan PITT23's Avatar
    Here's another great quote after today's events:

"Adversity is not what knocks you down, it is how you handle it and how you respond to it," Cowher said. "This football team with its veterans has been down this road before, facing challenges and adversity."
    :: Whoa, where the hell was I for 2 years?::

BC's right, and so was Bettis the other day when he made a comment about the Steelers "being a different team than last year." It's a new team every year when you think about it, and the Steelers have never relied on rep and history to win.

Thread Information