Thread: Which Sophomores set to break out

Bookmark and Share
    Gold Standard

Which Sophomores set to break out

By Ed Thompson
    Scout.com
    Posted Jun 13, 2007

An NFL players' sophomore season can be tough, but sixteen of our NFL team experts picked the second-year players that they think will make the transition from the sidelines to the highlight reels this season. Check out their list and find out why they're high on them inside...

"Out of the 2006 rookies who didn't start last year for your team, which one is most likely to get noticed by fans during his sophomore season in the NFL ... and why?"

That's the question we recently posed to our Scout NFL publishers and writers. Check out who sixteen of them picked below.

Jim Wexell, SteelCityInsider.com
    Pittsburgh Steelers

It could be any of three for the Steelers: O-lineman Willie Colon, return man Willie Reid or free safety Anthony Smith.

I'll go with Smith since he has the edge on Ryan Clark for the job. Smith is a rangy, hard-hitting ball hawk who has fit in with the vets since he arrived.

I would have to agree with this one. Reid needs to show he can stay healthy long enough to contribute. Colon has really started to blossom and has taken most of his snaps thus far in OTA's on the 1st team O-line. But my pick would also be with A. Smith. I think this kid is going to be special! Is there a team with 2 better safeties than Troy and Anthony?
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Without a doubt I believe it's gong to be Smith as well! He could have been a starter IMO last year but I don't make the calls. Smith and Troy is going to be one of those duo's that is feared around the league.

I don't think Reid "needs to show he can stay healthy long enough to contribute." He didn't miss the season with multiple, nagging injuries. He had one season ending injury.

The only thing he needs to show is that he can be a difference maker on this team. If it starts with special teams, so be it; but I'll take a difference maker anywhere, including where Willie Colon and Anthony Smith play, as well.
    Hotlink it and spread the love!

Santinio Homes for sure and when Anthony Smith starts he'll be talked about across the league

Tailgate Coordinator
    I think Smith did shine in his rookie year. And hoping Reid shines this season.

I'm A "Champion"

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    I think Smith is going to have a great year playing alongside Troy a full season. I would expect holmes to improve on his numbers too.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Smith is poised to really solidify that Safety position and becomes Troy's right hand man for a long time to come. Colon has an open shot to win a starting job , he's got the tools and definitely has the attitude for it. If Reid could jsut stay healthy the dude can be a great return man for us but damn he better stay off that foot and be ready for camp in July !

Smith is a very unknown guy as of now, wait until he explodes onto the scene, which i fully expect him to

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    I'm kinda hoping that more then one soph steps up, most definitely Smith. I would also like to see what Reid is all about. Holmes should get better as the years go by and I'd like to see a few rookies step up and have their names mentioned a few times this season. I've been hearing god stuff about UDFA Fowler, hes been catching everything thrown his way. What I'd really like to see is a young OL thats as smooth as silk, forged in steel.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Yeah we really need all of our young guys to step up, we have so much talent waiting in the wings to step in and contribute that it's really exciting to see the potential these guys have. We really can't afford to have any of them hit a sophomore slump so here's to each one stepping up and helping this team

Thread Information