Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to ruin Willie Parkers day.....

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted

How to ruin Willie Parkers day.....

Willie Parker did it all last season, but unfortunately he turned the ball over one too many times. Parker says -- begrudgingly -- that he's working on it.

It was a light, breezy day and Willie Parker was beaming.

Practice had just ended and he was heading for the showers. The rest of a beautiful day awaited him … and then a reporter approached with the wrong topic.

Fumbling.

Or, more specifically: How is Parker hoping to cut down on his five fumbles from last season.

It was five, wasn’t it?

“It was five,” said the suddenly subdued Parker.

Are you working on it at all?

“No,” Parker said. “It’s just one more than I had the year before. The year before I fumbled four times and I fumbled five times last year. A running back don’t like to fumble, but it is what it is. I just can’t get too comfortable holding that pill. I’ve got to treat every down like it’s my first time touching the ball.”

Former running backs coach Dick Hoak took a speak-no-evil approach to fumbling. He thought that if a coach harped on it enough, the running back would focus more on ball security than finding daylight. That was Hoak’s approach.

“Yeah, you don’t talk about fumbling,” Parker said. “I don’t really talk about it like that. I don’t even like to hear that word actually.”

But someone had to bring it up. And Parker may as well get it out of the way right now.

What’s new running backs coach Kirby Wilson’s approach?

“Oh, actually we do put an emphasis on it,” Parker said. “We do a lot of ball drills and holding the ball up, so we do a little more than what we did last year. He emphasizes holding the ball, and careless ball handling, and all that stuff. He teaches keeping the ball in one hand and, like, if you go outside, if you go left, put it in your left hand. Last year, I just put it in whatever hand I felt comfortable with. That’s what caused a lot of my fumbles.”

Now, see, that wasn’t so bad. Here’s a couple easy ones, Willie: How do you feel physically? What’s your weight?

“I’m not even at my playing weight right now,” he said. “I’m going to get up to my playing weight. Right now I’m just relaxing and chilling. I’m going to get up to my playing weight.”

Parker played at 209 last year, and that’s the same weight he wants to hit this season. But he might never get there if 340-pound Casey Hampton continues covering him on pass plays, as he did on one memorable play this week.

“Hamp’s an athlete, but I don’t think you should put him on me in the flat,” Parker said, his smile back, his day light and breezy again.

Was Parker surprised to see the nose tackle peel off the line to cover him?
    “I really didn’t even look at him,” Parker said. “I just wondered what Coach (Dick) LeBeau’s doing on this play.”

By Jim Wexell
    SteelCityInsider
    Posted 7 June 2007
    Heres to Willie having a better year. With the new offense, simpler playbook and more TE's, Willie should have a similar if not better season. Fumbling is still a concern, hopefully he taking care of that. Tiki Barber used to hav e a big problem with that, then they got a new RB coach and those days disappeared.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
    They got big 98 covering Willie that seems like a miss match

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If Casey can cover Willie then maybe we should move him to Safety?

I sure hope Willie focuses on holding onto that damn ball because his fumbles were potentially very costly. If he can get that under control we'll be even better !

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    If Casey can cover Willie then maybe we should move him to Safety?

I sure hope Willie focuses on holding onto that damn ball because his fumbles were potentially very costly. If he can get that under control we'll be even better !
    That would be funny... A big ole dude lining up at safety! That does say a lot about Casey though, if he can get out there and cover someone like Parker then he could probably cover anybody in the league coming out of the backfield.

This whole team seems to be refocused this year so I think we can expect the total turnovers to be down significantly from last year!

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    That was hilarious--Casey tryin to cover Willie! LOL

There's no doubt that he feels horrible about things that he doesn't do right, or things he feels cost us a game, and I'm sure he would've rather almost ANYthing else happen rather than for him to fumble. I'm just glad that the new RB coach is addressing the issue and that Willie is soaking in the info.

I'm with you AZ--I think that turnovers will be way down this year! They all seem to want it so badly this season, and that's so good to see
    Last edited by SteelersWoman; 06-08-2007 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

parker didnt fumble alot lol, it was just at a very bad time when he did. i wouldnt consider it ball handling issues....bad times just **** us off lol

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Hey even Jerome fumbled 7 times one year....So even the greats fumbled at times in their careers.....Its not that big of a concern to me.....Now Ben's 23 INT's.....That does need to come down to around 11-14 INTs.......I would say under 10 but I think Ben will always be one of those QB's that takes risks at times...Which I like in a QB....You have to go for the kill at times....

OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL
    With the punishment Willie takes and the viscous hits the defense dishes out, play after play, 5 fumbles a season is'nt bad.
    But like already stated, they did seem to be at the worst time but I contribute that to Willie trying alittle harder to make some extra positive yardage to help the team come from behind.

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    It's for sure he didn't fumble anymore than (and not as many as) some others have--BUT--if by learning a new technique he can fumble 1 or 2 (or 3 ) less a season, then I'm all for it

Bens ints have always been down except for last year. He was in the 7-10 range before. Hes a risk taker which i think is awesome lol

Thread Information