Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst Game of The Cowher Era

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Amazed

Worst Game of The Cowher Era

I posted a couple of months ago and asked what your favorite regular season game of the Bill Cowher era was, and now I'm going the other way and asking what was the worst?

Plenty to choose from here as well:
    -1998 @ Bengals (NOD completes 4th and forever)
    -1999 Browns - after whooping them 43-0 on opening night, we lose 16-15 at home to wreck the season
    -2002 @ Patriots - waited all summer for this rematch of the AFCCG and got blown out
    -2002 Falcons - a TIE? After leading 34-17 in the 4th?
    -2002 Texans - Lose 24-6 despite Houston gaining about 50 yards from scrimmage
    -2005 Jags gme at Heinz, Maddox threw that game away, why didn't Charlie play?
    -2006 Raiders - Wounds still fresh. Why didn't Charlie start?

But for me, the worst loss in the Cowher era was the 1997 Monday Night game in Jacksonville. Down23-21 late in the game, the Steelers drive for the winning field goal.Only thing was the winning field goal got blocked, and was returned for a TD. Final 30-21.
    The only good thing to come of this game is the footage of Cowher contemplating making the tackle. You can literally see the thoughts going through his head.
    Last edited by Steelerlyn; 06-04-2007 at 11:30 PM.
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

Take your pick... for me it was really any of the losses in the AFCCG's and SB XXX! But yeah, all those games are on my list to!

Easy for me it's SUPERBOWL XXX......

Had them Cowgirls beat in every category except them dam TO's

CLOSE 2nd & 3rd are the Kordell loss to patzeez & Ben's rookie loss to Patzeez

"dam I hate them PATZEEZ

Thanks for remiding me of this crap........LOL

My Mood
    Amazed

Wink

Yeah I wondered about regular season games
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

SB XXX. Hands down.

Sig by BR7

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Super Bowl XXX for sure.

Every AFCGG game

Every playoff Loss

Most definitely every game on your list Lyn.

2002 Texans or 2006 Raiders....both major embarrassments....

Thanks to BB2W for the sig

Has to be the afc playoff game v the broncos. I can't remeber the year. It was at home, and Kordell was QB, and we were ahead of the broncos and our running game was killing them. They couldn't stop us. We get a turnover and then Kordell threw an Int in their end zone.
    Coaching wise i think that was his worst as it was SOOOOOO obvious that they couldn't stop the run yet he calls bombs with KORDELL!!!

That and all of last year. I don't think he handled the team well at all.

Ben was beaten up before he began, and Batch was doing a fine job to start. Batch should have started a few more games to then get ben back in say mid season, but no, bike crash, apodectamy, injuries etc, and he still shoves him in. Ben was jittery ( raiders ) and made porr decisions and just wasn't himself when he played it was obvious.
    That was poor coaching in my book. If Batch had played in some of the earlier games i truley beleive we could have made the playoffs last year.

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    Look no further than the 2005 home field 41-27 playoff loss to the New England Patriots (F'ing again!) to find the darkest day in the Steelers and Cowher's history. I was there .... I was cold ... damn cold ... I was drunk ... and and I was devistated beyond words.

Cold Steel

It was a nightmarish end to a dream season.

The Steelers' crushing loss to the Patriots yesterday will rattle around the area's psyche for years.

For a team that had set a conference record for wins, for a city that had dreamed of celebrating its first trip to the Super Bowl in nine years and for a region that had hoped -- and prayed -- for a victory as a salve for years of depressing economic and civic news, yesterday's game was a rude slap.

A fumble. Three interceptions, including one for a touchdown. Penalties. A replay that overturned a fumble recovery. The most points the Steelers had given up the entire season. Their quest for "one for the thumb" ended like a sharp poke in the eye.

At least we know now, it wasn't quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's glove.

Braving 13-degree temperatures -- the second coldest Steelers' home game in history -- the Heinz Field crowd of 65,242 began the game with a delirious Terrible Towel twirl, Steelers fell behind 10-3 in the first quarter.

Even down 17-3 eight minutes later, there was plenty of bluster and belief in the stadium until the Patriots' Rodney Harrison returned a Roethlisberger interception 87 yards for touchdown and a 24-3 lead. So much oxygen hadn't been sucked out of the North Side since the implosion of Three Rivers Stadium nearly four years ago.

The 41-27 loss marked the fourth time in five conference championships under head coach Bill Cowher that the Steelers lost at home. The win sends New England to its third Super Bowl in four years, and keeps coach Bill Belichick undefeated as Patriots head coach in the playoffs.

Even to this day this is hard to read ... Cowher must live with the fact that Bellichick owned his sorry *** during his entire tenure as HC in Pittsburgh.

My Mood
    Angry
    One regular season game that still sticks in my mind is the 6-0 loss to the New York Jets in 2003.
    The Steelers were playing in New York and for most of the game it was pretty much blizzard like conditions .....a perfect setting for pounding the ball on the ground with Jerome Bettis.
    Instead bonehead OC Mike Mularkey chooses to put the ball in the air close to 40 times and the Steelers lose one of the worst called games on offense I can remember.

Bill Cowher stood there like a dope in his post game PC and said something along the lines of: "That was a fun game to watch"...."it reminded me of playing football in the snow when I was a little boy".

Thread Information