Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Parker doesn't mind sharing the load

http://news.steelers.com/article/76912/

Friday, June 1, 2007

By Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com Notebook

Running back Willie Parker carried the load for the Steelers ground game last season, but he wouldn't mind having someone in the backfield to help with some of the carries.

"I think the two-back system will work very well here in Pittsburgh," said Parker, who indicated that sharing the load can help make his career last longer.

That help could come from veteran running backs Najeh Davenport or Kevan Barlow, who signed with the team just before mini-camp.

"Those guys are great running backs," said Parker. "Barlow is a downhill runner. We have been looking for that. Najeh is both – downhill and he has some moves. I think those guys will bring great things to the offense."

But, don't think for a minute that Parker wants to give away all of the carries. After a Pro Bowl season in 2006, he wants to go back to Hawaii after the 2007 season.

"I want to get back to the Pro Bowl," said Parker. "It's more on my shoulders now so I am going to work hard at it. I don't look at it as coming off a Pro Bowl season. I just look at it as I am the same guy just trying to make it and I am going to work hard."

While the offense is learning some new plays, the defense is mainly getting a refresher course during the team's OTA's.

"Basically right now we are relearning the defenses, putting in some new defenses and trying to get an all-around feel for each other," said linebacker James Harrison. "It's easier for the defense since we are still basically the same defense."

Im anxious to see what these new defenses are and how much they will help us bring the heat back into our defense.

I don't think there's room on the team for both Barlow and Davenport so I look for one of them to make the team as the backup while the other spot will go to one of the young guys.

najeh>barlow

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    Parker
    Davenport
    Barlow
    Kuhn
    Haynes (??? ... if they take him back)

I hate to see Kuhn down there at the #4 spot simply because he doesn't have starting experience. He's a "HAMMER" and I think he has a lot to offer.

Barlow is a bitch and until i see him get through a minicamp without having to sit out with an injury...he is still a bitch.

I heard Gary Russel punked him in every aspect of the game at the last minicamp

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Barlow is a bitch and until i see him get through a minicamp without having to sit out with an injury...he is still a bitch.

I heard Gary Russel punked him in every aspect of the game at the last minicamp

Agreed. I look at Barlow as "soft" and until he proves me wrong, I'll continue feeling that way. I would love to see Barlow and Kuhn go 1 on 1 ....

"Hammer meet nail"

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    I know that we all heard this before but There is just something about Parker that I just can't get sold on....... I know that he has proved himself capable of gaining the yds but He's soft in other aspects of the game. Just my
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

I kind of know what you mean, but you have to stop and consider that;

1) Parker is still young and learning the game.
    2) He's been running behind a line that has had it's share of problems the past few years
    3) He's running plays in a antiquated playbook that was designed for Bettis to primarily run between the tackles. They never really altered the playbook to play to Parker's strengths to the outside or using single back sets.
    4) Steeler fans aren't used to owning a Ferrari in the backfield. We never had one before. We've always had that ol' relible Chevy truck that took us up the middle for a few yards at a time.

There's no question Parker is special. This year could be the year he really makes a name for himself considering some of the changes I've been hearing about.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I think most of us here believe in Willie and know that he can do the job. He did very well last year considering how bad the team was. The good thing is that with all the success he's had in the last 2 years of really getting more playing time, he's not been in a system that is built for him. He's spent his career with us so far in a power back "bus" type system that was in place way before he got here so basically he had to adapt. Players do need to be able to adapt so it's not that a team should build their offense around just 1 player but at the same time Cowher was unwilling to change his offensive philosphy to suit his players strengths at all, IMO.

I like where the offense is going at this point and the way that Willie will get a chance to really showcase his talents and be successful in the coming years in this new regime. This new offense that spreads things out more, that still believes in running the ball but also utilizes different blocking schemes with more personnel available to do multiple functions should really benefit him.

Tailgate Coordinator
    Of course Barlow is soft, he's from Pitt.

I'm A "Champion"

SA's Official God steelcurtain09's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
    Of course Barlow is soft, he's from Pitt.
    yeah we all know how good and tough those PSU backs are...

Thread Information