Thread: Battle brewing over NFL's web site control

Bookmark and Share

Battle brewing over NFL's web site control

BATTLE BREWING OVER WEB SITE CONTROL

One of the issues that was discussed, but tabled, during last week's ownership meetings in Nashville arises directly from the NFL's renewed focus on the league's web site, and the sites of its 32 teams.

Per a league source, the NFL hopes to exercise more control over club web sites. The problem is that many clubs want to continue to operate their own web sites with autonomy, as they traditionally have.

The league office hopes to find a middle ground between the current approach in the NFL and, for example, Major League Baseball, which exercises complete control over team sites.

The issue is becoming quite contentious, we're told, and the several teams with otherwise dissimilar interests came together at last week's meetings and helped forge a decision to postpone the matter until the next round of meetings in October.

Our guess? Teams will be more receptive to the notion of sacrificing control to the NFL if/when the re-launched NFL.com site (which we hear will be heavy on video content) establishes itself as a profit center. The league is finalizing plans to operate the site on its own, with no involvement from an outside media company.
    You have a G..R..E..A..T Day!!!

"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm" Sir Winston Churchill

Tailgate Coordinator
    More BS by the NFL. The NFL is getting dumber by the year.Sure wish another league would come in and over take them, think it would be funny.

I'm A "Champion"

House of Steel
    What's next, No Steelers.com? I am going to refrain myself here. You don't want to hear my colorful opinion of this.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Hell no, don't let the league control the sites ! They'll be nothing but cookie cutter templates with different colors and logos.

Let the teams have their own sites and do the things that the fans want, not what NFL thinks we want !

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    You mean people go to those sites still? I stop going to team and league websites. Cause you will only get one side of the story.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

House of Steel
    You know what, the NFL does this, what's next, take over all the team sites, and you know our worse dream could come true, all fan websites being shut down by the NFL over a court ruling. Sounds stupid? Yeah! I wouldn't put it past them now. It is getting out of control and ugly.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelersfaninPhilly View Post
    You mean people go to those sites still? I stop going to team and league websites. Cause you will only get one side of the story.
    Im expecting a call soon from the Rooney's asking me if they can use SA as the official site for the team and get rid of Steelers.com

House of Steel
    That would be the call heard around the world!!!!

Thread Information