Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pittsburgh Steelers Logo

Bookmark and Share

Smile Pittsburgh Steelers Logo

History & Origin of the Pittsburgh Steelers Logo

where did it come from, why this type of logo?

Look on home page it's explained there... hypocycloids are from old Republic Steel logo I believe...

here is link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsbu...o_and_uniforms

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

The Steelers have used black and gold as their basic colors since the club's inception (excluding the 1943 season when they merged with the Philadelphia Eagles and formed the "Steagles"; the team's colors were green and white as a result of wearing the Eagles uniforms). Originally, the team wore solid gold helmets and black jerseys. Unique to Pittsburgh, the Steelers' colors are shared by other professional teams in the city; the Pittsburgh Pirates in baseball and the Pittsburgh Penguins in hockey, (also the colors of the flag for the City of Pittsburgh) making it the official team colors of every professional sports team in the city.

The Steelers logo was then introduced in late 1962 and is based on the "Steelmark," originally designed by Pittsburgh's U.S. Steel, and now owned by the American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI). In an ironic twist, it was Cleveland-based Republic Steel that suggested the Steelers adopt the industry logo. It consists of the word "Steelers" surrounded by three astroids (hypocycloids of four cusps). The original meanings behind the astroids were, "Steel lightens your work, brightens your leisure, and widens your world" and later the colors came to represent the ingredients of steel, the yellow representing coal; the orange, ore; and the blue, steel scrap.[15] While the "Steelmark" logo only contains the word "Steel", the Steelers were given special permission to add "-ers" in 1963 after a petition against AISI.

The Steelers are the only NFL team that puts their logo on only one side of the helmet (the right side). Longtime field and equipment manager Jack Hart was instructed to do this by Art Rooney. At first, it was a test to see how the logo appeared on their gold helmets, but its popularity led the team to leave it that way permanently.[16] A year after introducing the logo, they switched to black helmets to make it stand out more.

Another distinctive feature of the helmets is that the players number appears on both the front and back of the helmets. The Steelers are only one of two teams in the NFL to do so. The numbers traditionally do not appear on the helmet fronts during the exhibition season.

The Steelers have had the same basic look for their uniforms since 1936 (save for during the 1967 season when the team experimented with a "triangle" theme), and started to use the current uniform design in 1968. The design consists of gold pants and either black jerseys or white jerseys, except for the 1970 and 1971 seasons, when the Steelers wore white pants with their white jerseys. The helmet is solid black with a gold central stripe and small white uniform numbers on the forehead. In 1997 the team switched to rounded numbers on the jersey to match the number font (Futura Condensed) on the helmets, and a Steelers logo patch was added to the left side of the jersey.

At a press conference on April 27, 2007, it was announced that the Steelers would wear a throwback uniform for two home games during the 2007 season, as part of the celebration of the Steelers' 75th Season. They will be worn for the Steelers' home opener against the Buffalo Bills on September 16 and again for a Monday Night game on November 5 against the Baltimore Ravens. The jersey is black with the numbers, names and stripes all in gold and it also contains a 75th Season logo on the left side of the upper chest part of the jersey. The jersey is considered to be from the 1960 season. The pants are white with a single gold stripe running down the length of the outside of each leg, surrounded by thinner black stripes on either side of the gold stripe. The helmets are gold with the Steelers logo on the right side and a single black stripe running down the center from front to back. The helmet was worn during the 1962 season, which was the first year that the present Steelers logo began to appear on their helmets. The only two differences are that the logo on the original helmet read 'Steel', whereas Steelers appears on the helmet that the team will wear for the two games in 2007 and that the face mask on this version of the helmet is black, whereas the original face mask color on the gold helmet was gray.

i also read somewhere that they used to be the Pirates

Of course, to me, the logic next questions are:

1) Why gold and not silver or gray, like steel?
    2) Why "yellow" and not gold, like the Saints?

I'm glad it's black and yellow, but I think those are two interesting questions.
    Hotlink it and spread the love!

raiders already had black and silver probably....we dont want to look like raiders anyway

dude that line of text in your sig....i ****ing love it, did it come from the bible?

The Raiders didn't surface until 1960, and the Steelers were using Black & Gold "since the club's inception" (1933). Otherwise, though, that's a darn good theory.

Like I said, I'm glad the colors are what they are, I just think those are interesting questions.

And what line of text in who's sig?
    Hotlink it and spread the love!

In Pittsburgh, even our punter can kick your @$$!
    this one, i think that quietly this may be the greatest piece of literature in the history of the universe

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The "yellow" is really a yellow-gold color so we can safely say that we are the black n gold. I love our logo, I think it's one of the most unique in all of sports. It's simplistic in design but very effective !

very true..no offense to the cowboys...we just have a blue and silver star....lol

Thread Information