Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cuts

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    smh, ppl that actually care about the game get cut, and duces fat *** gets to stay and collect a fat check for being a well known has been. what ashame. i guess this years draft was worthless after willie ried
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

SA's #1 James Farrior Fan PITT23's Avatar
    I also see we dropped Mike Barr and there was a time when I thought he would make it over Gardocki. He wasn't too bad and so he might not be around for us next year because another team could pick him up.
    :: Whoa, where the hell was I for 2 years?::

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Nothing new yet on the last 2 cuts; from KFFL or Yahoo..

You gotta think that Kuhn just didn't impress the coaches enough to be a viable option when Cobb was available; which still sux because he had a great shot !

My Mood
    Addicted
    Interesting cuts. When will the PS be announced?

House of Steel
    I guess your right, but what does this kid from New England got that Kuhn doesn't??? That is the question of the day. I am still not sold on carrying only two QBs. That is a bad gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Maniac
    I guess your right, but what does this kid from New England got that Kuhn doesn't??? That is the question of the day. I am still not sold on carrying only two QBs. That is a bad gamble.
    I'm with you on the keeping of only 2 QB's, that is a huge gamble considering both Ben and Charlie had injuries last season that caused them both to miss several games. Maybe the Steelers will look for another semi-retired backup with experience once cuts from around the league start.

I can understand not keeping Boyd and Jacobs though, they both are average and didn't really do anything great during the preseason and rather than trying to pick 1 they just dumped both, hopefully the FO picks up someone else to be the 3rd QB.

House of Steel
    Well, AZ, I am waiting for some A-Hole coach to sign Omar Jacobs. I know he will be signed by another franchise. My REACTIONS ARE IN PARATHESES.

Staley makes Steelers' roster, but moves down depth chart

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer--Yahoo Sports!
    September 2, 2006

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Duce Staley made the Pittsburgh Steelers' 53-man roster Saturday despite an uneven preseason.

Staley dropped to No. 3 on the depth chart at running back and may not dress for some early-season games. ( What a load of BS here. Man we got to put up with the fat, pie loving rah rah rah pom pom cheering idiot on the sideline that coughs up a lot of salary cap crunching numbers. BAD RISK!!)

Staley's roster status was in doubt -- even coach Bill Cowher said so -- after the three-time 1,000-yard rusher with the Eagles averaged 2.2 yards per carry during exhibition play (Reason to cut him, COWHER, YOUR AN IDIOT FOR THIS, PATHETIC!!!!). The Steelers showed their concern at the position by trading Friday with New England for rookie Patrick Cobbs.(Who is this kid?)

But Cowher recalled Saturday how injuries briefly left the Steelers with only one healthy running back last season, even when they were carrying longtime star Jerome Bettis in addition to starter Willie Parker, Staley and Verron Haynes.

"We've got to be able to use these guys to where they're not going to be hit out by November and December," Cowher said. "It's very important that we're able to keep these guys fresh. It's a big key for us, a team that runs the football."

Haynes, used mostly as a third-down back during his first four NFL seasons, is now Parker's backup despite never carrying more than 12 times in a game. (About time, I am happy with this decision, Verron worked hard all his career in Pittsburgh and finally being rewarded, he better perform like he earned it.)

Staley, the Steelers' most experienced runner, figured to go into the season as the backup. He was signed to start two years ago and was averaging 101 yards per game through seven games, but has played little since then after injuring a hamstring. (coughing, BS)

Cobbs, the Patriots' leading rusher during the preseason, won't begin practicing until Sunday. However, it seems likely he will be activated for games ahead of Staley because he also plays special teams. (ahhhh, that is it, MOREY IS A GONER!!!)

"The kid had a very good preseason, watching him run the ball, catch it and cover kicks," Cowher said. "He was very impressive."

Cowher also designated Ryan Clark as the starting free safety ahead of Tyrone Carter and rookie Anthony Smith. Clark, formerly with the Redskins, was the Steelers' only major offseason pickup. He signed as a free agent after Chris Hope left to play for Tennessee. ( This is a real load of BS here, I am very upset over this crock of crap. What the hell does Cowher sees in this guy that we the fans don't know about??? I still wish Anthony Smith was starting opposite Troy Polamalu, I guarantee we will see this before mid-season--Ryan Clark, what an joke!!)

Willie Reid, the third-round draft pick from Florida State, will open ahead of first-rounder Santonio Holmes as the punt returner. Cowher hasn't made up his mind about the kickoff returners for Thursday's opener against Miami, but Holmes and Reid were used there during the preseason. (Another smart move, Reid is a monster on Special Teams, better than that slash and dance Randle El used to pull. I used to yell at the TV, get your *** moving forward idiot.)

"We've never really gotten the kicking return phase going," Cowher said. "I know we've played different people and combinations, but the fact of the matter is we haven't been in sync returning the ball on punts or kickoffs."

After a 15-14, last-play loss to Carolina on Thursday gave the Steelers only their second winless preseason in 40 years, Cowher said these final roster cuts might be the most difficult he has made.

But there were no surprises when the Steelers cut 20 players Saturday, even though quarterbacks Omar Jacobs and Shane Boyd were among them. That leaves only starter Ben Roethlisberger and backup Charlie Batch on the roster, but fifth-round pick Jacobs will join the practice squad unless he is claimed by another team. (Omar will be claimed by another team, the question is what A-Hole coach is going to get him.)

Wide receiver Cedrick Wilson, a former high school QB, will be the emergency quarterback. (In HS, what about college? I am not sold on this idea, either. We need to sign a veteran backup and fast.)

The Steelers also cut punter Mike Barr for the third consecutive year even though he had a solid camp, assuring 16-year veteran Chris Gardocki of keeping his job. (I agree, you don't take a 16-year veteran off the starting spot that has an NFL Record for No blocks in his career, but I am still ticked off with him for flipping us off when he was a Brown)

Also cut were offensive linemen Tim Brown and Brandon Torrey, tight ends Charles Davis and Jon Dekker, defensive ends Orien Harris, Shaun Nua and Lee Vickers, running back Cedric Humes, fullbacks Branden Joe and John Kuhn, safety Mike Lorello, cornerback Anthony Madison, wide receiver Lee Mays, defensive tackle Scott Paxson, linebackers Richard Seigler and Ron Stanley and wide receiver Walter Young. (I think NUA is PS, Kuhn might too, Lorello might also be on the PS, and that is all I can think of.)

The Steelers had to make two more cuts later Saturday.

Four of the five draft picks made after the fourth round were cut -- Harris, Jacobs, Davis and Humes -- with only sixth-round center Marvin Philip making it. The Steelers have never cut so many picks since director of football operations Kevin Colbert took over seven years ago, but they have never had so little roster turnover during an offseason. (Philip is staying since Okobi's status is shaky, but I would of put him on the final cut if it wasn't for this.)

Sorry for the language, but I am ticked off on a few choices here. Cowher is an idiot for starting Ryan Clark. What a joke!!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Well Duce survives again, since he's not in a prominant role perhaps he can actually stay healthy all year now

The signing of Cobb to me atleast, is reflective on the coaches lack of confidence in either Kuhn or Humes to be able to carry the load if necessary. Plus since we now have 3 veterans deep at RB with Willie, Verron, and Duce, they're alittle more comfortable with where we are now then they probably were going into this season since nobody knew if Duce would make the team.

I do wish Kuhn could get a shot, perhaps he will on the PS..but from all the reviews Cobb looks like the real deal even being a rookie so we could have found a diamond in the rough in this pickup.

House of Steel
    THEY CUT MORGAN!!! WTF was this about??? THAT IS BS.

OH MAN. MOREY SHOULD OF BEEN CUT>

Saturday, September 2, 2006
    Steelers Release Final Two Players; Trim Roster to 53

PITTSBURGH — The Steelers today released linebacker Andre Frazier and wide receiver Quincy Morgan to trim their roster to the NFL's league minimum of 53 players.

Frazier (6-5, 234) originally signed as an undrafted free agent and made the active 53-man roster coming out of last year's camp. After spending five days on the team's practice squad, he was signed back to the 53-man roster until he was placed on the Reserve/Injured List on Jan. 24, 2006, with an injured right leg.

Frazier played in 11 games as a rookie and posted two tackles, including one sack in the season opener against the Tennessee Titans. He also added eight special teams' tackles in the regular season.

Morgan (6-1, 215) was acquired by the Steelers as a free agent on Sept. 6, 2005, after spending the 2004 season with the Dallas Cowboys. He was originally drafted by the Cleveland Browns in the second round (33rd overall) of the 2001 NFL Draft before being traded to the Cowboys on Oct. 19, 2004.

Morgan played in all 16 games in 2005 for Pittsburgh as a wide receiver and kick returner. He posted nine catches for 150 yards and two touchdowns as a receiver while returning 23 kickoffs for 583 yards (25.3 avg.), which ranked fifth in the AFC and eighth in the NFL. Morgan missed the final three postseason games after suffering a right ankle injury in the Wild Card Game at Cincinnati.

All NFL teams may sign up to eight rookies or first-year players to their practice squad after noon on Sunday, Sept. 3.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I really really really don't like cutting Quincey one bit !!! WTF!!

He was our best kickoff return guy not to mention a veteran leader and a big tall WR ! This really blows ! I know we need some special teams guru's but Quincey played ST all the time and was a much better WR than Morey !!!

I liked Andre Frazier but Harrison has really impressed in camp and has good size and speed. He should work out well for us.

Thread Information