Thread: Tight ends get chance to stand tall in restructured offense

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Tight ends get chance to stand tall in restructured offense

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07152/790688-66.stm

By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

In the new Steelers realm, these men aren't so much tight ends as they are titan ends.

This was a position relatively unnoticed and unused for a decade and a half, assigned to block or run decoy routes mostly. So why did Steelers coaches and scouting types suddenly upsize their personnel? To stock their offseason basketball team? To plunk another tackle in tight-end clothing at line's end? To try to find another Larry Brown, the hulking, circa-1970s tight end ultimately shoved inside to tackle?

"We'll let them come off the bus first, that's for sure," Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said jokingly about his substantial quintet.

In fact, only two of the other 84 players on the Steelers' roster stand as tall or taller than any of these tight ends. Those two are 6-foot-8 Max Starks and 6-9 Jason Capizzi of Pine-Richland High School and IUP, both offensive tackles.

It is not easy getting these fellows around the same lunch table at the South Side facility, let alone into the same meeting room after an organized team activity day: Cody Boyd, a 6-8, 264-pound free agent from Washington State; Matt Spaeth, a 6-7, 270-pound third-round selection from Minnesota; Jon Dekker, a 6-5, 250-pound free-agent returnee from Princeton; Heath Miller, the 6-5, 256-pound incumbent starter and former first-rounder, and Jerame Tuman, the 6-4, 253-pound veteran of the big bunch.

"Everybody's all similar size," said Spaeth, though he and Boyd have the other three by a few inches and pounds. "And everybody's kind of a similar style tight end."

Therein lies the reason the Steelers are pumping up the volume and mass at the position.

Arians, who succeeds new Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt as the Steelers' offensive boss, aims to operate from packages containing two tight ends, one running back and the ability to move Miller around a formation from which to run or pass. Miller had 34 catches and five touchdowns last year, but was perhaps underused. Perhaps, all the Steelers' tight ends were: Tuman had seven catches and one touchdown, giving this two-man group nearly half as many scores (six) as the team's four main receivers.

Moreover, it's a position catching on, not only within their division but also around their conference. This was an AFC North where Cleveland got 127 receptions from its tight ends, including 89 from Kellen Winslow Jr., and where Baltimore got 95, including 73 from Todd Heap. This was an AFC where Indianapolis totaled 85 receptions from three tight ends and New England 81.

"We want to have a package of three," Arians said.

So they start work with these five: Boyd, who conjured almost half his career 35 receptions and 466 yards as a Washington State redshirt freshman four years ago, when he was named to The Sporting News all-Pac-10 freshmen team; Spaeth, the Mackey Award winner and first-team All-American who had 47 catches in a senior year twice interrupted by shoulder injuries; Dekker, a Princeton man who caught four passes in the Steelers' 2006 preseason before being among the final cuts; Miller, already redefining a Steelers position with 73 receptions and 11 touchdowns in his first two seasons; and Tuman, the steady vet who started four games last season in two tight-end formations and started 55 games in his nine-year career.

For Spaeth, an April draftee about whom Arians immediately gushed that he was "ecstatic" to land, the learning continues. "The playbook and the [play-]calling is way more advanced, it's not even funny," he said, comparing it to college.

Yet the experienced Miller and Tuman are his pro teachers.

"I'm trying to watch them and learn from them," Spaeth added.

"You like tall guys that can run and block," Arians said. "These guys are tall, but they all bend real well. They can block at the point of attack. They're good receivers. So they're nice complements.

"It's a heck of a group," added this former assistant with the Chiefs, Saints, Colts and Browns. "Maybe the best group I've ever been around. They give us great versatility."
    That is some serious Height and Size we got with our group of TE's, I can't wait to see these guys take the field and finally be a part of the offense the way they are capable of. That's one that has always bugged me about the Cowher era, is why in the world wouldn't we use such great weapons at TE to their potential !!!?? Think about the TE's that Cowher has had at his disposal: Eric Greene, Mark Bruener, & Heath Miller. Those are some impressive names that any team would have killed to have.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 06-01-2007 at 06:06 AM.

Always a fan of the position. So much versatility, like the options you have with a fullback.

I can't wait to see what these guys are capable of in the new scheme.
    Hotlink it and spread the love!

My Mood
    Amazed

Wink

This is almost as much a part of Pittsburgh Steelers offseasons as signing/cutting Matt Cushing. The best blocking tight end in football, and my favorite, Mark Bruener, was released
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

I have always loved the TE position. It is a tough a position to cover defensively. If you put too much effort into stopping them, then it frees recievers down the field who are isolated with a corner. I think we got great targets at TE with Tuman, Heath and Spaeth. I am anxiously awaiting what to see what Arians has in store for the offense.

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die."

Those are some big dudes... I doubt they all make the team but stranger things have happened. Assuming the Steelers do start spreading the field like the Colts the TE will get more catches just like Dallas Clark Heath started off strong last year but he really tapered off until the end of the season, call it a sophomore slump so he'll have a huge year this year!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I think Heath Miller breaks out his year and catches 50 ball along with 10 TDs.....I think Spaeth will prove to be huge on 3rd and short when the Steelers might use two TEs out there to keep the defense guessing run or pass....Plus Spaeth has the size to be a great red zone target.

Tailgate Coordinator
    We do have some pretty good TEs. Hopefully now we will use them.

I'm A "Champion"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    We'll keep 3 of them on the roster just like usual, we can't afford to keep anymore of them, there just isn't enough roster spots. Heath and Spaeth will make the team...Jerame has the best shot of the other 3 since he's a good veteran to have around, IMO but he'll have to earn that spot.

Great read TG,,,,

Looking forward to Mr. Miller time having a huge year

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    I can't wait to see how this new offense is going to look. With the size these guys have its going to be very exciting to watch.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Thread Information