Thread: Are

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Amazed

Randle El

None of the excitement ARE generated was at the WR spot! The Stillers were using gadget plays before ARE got there, and I'd wager that they won't stop now that he's gone. El had only 39 catches and 1 touchdown but he brought excitement and energy(and some great punt returns and gadget plays) to the field that were valuable and might be hard to replace. It remains to be seen if that can be duplicated from this roster. To some this may be as interesting and important as how much baking soda gets rid of fire ants in Alaska.

I have a special feeling for Randall El or I did have since I have his jersey.
    Last edited by PITT23; 09-02-2006 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Just making the title a little easier to understand :)
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    ARE was one of my favorite players..he was a team guy, a fan guy, he did alot with charities and to promote good will around the league. He did alot for us, most memories are of his gadget type plays and punt returns.

BUT, he betrayed the Steelers where he had a spot starting opposite Hines and on the world champs ! He would have gotten his fair share of money but his team pride didn't stand true, IMO. Many a player had taken less money to stay with a team they liked, with coaches and players they liked, and with a city that treated them with respect.... ARE wasn't one of those players.

ARE was exciting to watch but when he started saying God will tell him what to do and that he has a family to raise, whatever respect I had for him was thrown out the window at that point. Given the amount of money he already had he didn't need anymore to raise his family! Maybe he should live in some of ours shoes for a month and get a taste of the real world.

You're right Lyn, Steelers ran the gadgets before ARE and they will continue to do so. Plus 39 receptions and 1 TD catch shouldn't be that hard to replace.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    He won't see half of that money in his contract anyways so we'll get the last laugh when he's sitting at home in January and we're in the post season.

House of Steel
    Amen! Matt. If ARE wanted to become a overrated, overplayed pimp, let him, I could care less about him now. He will be at home watching the Steelers play in the postseason and wishing he stayed in the Burgh.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
    BUT, he betrayed the Steelers where he had a spot starting opposite Hines and on the world champs ! He would have gotten his fair share of money but his team pride didn't stand true, IMO. Many a player had taken less money to stay with a team they liked, with coaches and players they liked, and with a city that treated them with respect.... ARE wasn't one of those players.
    Sorry Blitz, but I really don't agree with you on this portion. You just simply can't turn down that amount of money. I'd like to believe every player in the league is a Pat Tillman and would sign for a lower price just because the team had showed him such loyalty, but they're not. He saw a chance to better his life, and his families life, and I don't blame him. I was upset when he left for the first couple of days, and felt the same way you do now, and I wish he did stay with us, but you can hardly blame him for taking that amount of money.

BTW, I had a chance to talk with El after he had signed with Washington when he visited Walter Reed before going to the White House. The conversation went as follows:

ME: You know, the closest the Skins are going to get to a Super Bowl is you showing them your's.
    EL: Aw! You must be a Cowboys fan!
    ME: No sir, born and raised in Pittsburgh. I'm a Steelers fan.
    EL: Yeah, well me too.

Sorry, but I still like the guy, and will root for him every game he's not playing Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
    He won't see half of that money in his contract anyways so we'll get the last laugh when he's sitting at home in January and we're in the post season.
    We aren't going to recognize that Redskins team in the next couple of years, they will become the new 49ers team! Built a team to win the big one then dumped everybody because of these back end loaded contracts that come back to bite em' in the end! Then the next 5 years they are trying to get out of the hole.

I wish ARE the best, but I don't like his excuses he used...

House of Steel
    ROTFL. I agree, AZ. I wish Randle El stayed but he decided to go where the MO MONEY was. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Thread Information