Thread: Big Ben champions no-huddle schemes

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Big Ben champions no-huddle schemes

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07145/788950-66.stm

Friday, May 25, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mario Lemieux might be Ben Roethlisberger's most famous ongoing golf partner these days, but no match may be more telling for the Steelers' quarterback than the one he had early this week with someone else.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians delivered a message to his quarterback that fit him to a tee while they were on the course.

"He said 'This is your offense; you tell me what you like and don't like,' " Roethlisberger related yesterday.

Not the bashful type, Roethlisberger spoke up. He wants to use the no-huddle offense more often. It was a big topic during training camp last year but never really materialized during the season. He believes it will in 2007.

"I like the way he wants to run the no-huddle," Roethlisberger said. "Last year, we talked and talked and talked about doing it and never did it. We did it in the preseason against coach [Mike] Tomlin and Minnesota -- we marched down the field and I was done for the rest of the game. It was great. And then we never saw it.

"I like that he wants to do that and I truly believe this year that we will do it."
    They will do much more of it if Roethlisberger can run it the way he did in practice Wednesday.

"He just had one of the best practices I've ever seen him have, and it was the no-huddle package," Arians said then. "He ran it to perfection -- smooth, without a hitch, his completion percentage is way up right now.

"I'm real pleased. I couldn't ask for anything more. His snap count, he's doing a great job with it, we're not jumping offsides. Those little things can create big things and make you a better offense."

The Steelers' new offense won't look like Peyton Manning's, but a bigger dose of the no-huddle seems in order.

"I think we'll see it at least once a game," said Roethlisberger, who ran a steady diet of no-huddle at Miami University. "That was pretty much all we did was no-huddle. We called it Little Muddle where just the linemen huddled, and I signaled out to the receivers."

The Steelers will use the no-huddle in both the shotgun formation and with Roethlisberger under center.

"We have 60-some plays in that no-huddle package that I can call," Roethlisberger said. "That's another thing that we talked about; it's me calling the plays, but, if Bruce or someone sees something, they can tell me, 'Ben, we want to see this real quick in the no-huddle,' and I can call it from there. But I like that he has the confidence in me to do that."

Arians has taken the bridle off his fourth-year quarterback. Whereas the coaches protected Roethlisberger in his first few years, they are now allowing him to call audibles, call the pass protections and, as he hopes, run more no-huddle.

"I think the first year they tried to [protect me] a little more, but it didn't work as well because I was just kind of running around crazy," Roethlisberger said. "My second year I think they did a little bit, and it worked pretty well. I think they still tried to do it a lot last year as well, even though I thought I'd grown a lot. I think they did it mostly because of the injuries; I didn't think they needed to.

"This year, I think it's gotten to the point where B.A.'s putting a lot of trust in me and me in him."

Roethlisberger has eased into a leadership role over his first three years, but seems to be embracing it now. He has done little things, like taking teammates' questions about a recent story to a reporter. His more famous leadership moment came, as described by Peter King in Sports Illustrated last week, when he had dinner with Mike Tomlin shortly after he was named Steelers coach.

Roethlisberger told his new coach that a lot of players were unhappy that Russ Grimm or Ken Whisenhunt did not get his job, and that he would have to earn the players' respect and trust.

"It wasn't like one of those things where I stood up and told Tomlin you need to earn our respect," Roethlisberger said. "It wasn't anything like that. It was just that we have a lot of guys and a lot of differences going on and we have to earn each others' respect, and I think that we've done that."

Roethlisberger admits there was some resentment toward him in the Steelers' locker room early in his career because of the big money he made as a No. 1 draft choice, but he sees a big change.

"I think there was at first, but I think guys have learned that it's OK, we've grown into that," he said.

"As in everything, I always want to get better and I'll want to get better at being a leader -- not taking over, just being a presence in there for guys. I want guys to know that if they're in any kind of problem, if they need to come talk to someone, if they need a place to stay, a car, anything I can help them with I will be more than happy and willing to do that. I just want them to always know that and I think guys are starting to understand that more, especially the younger guys as they come up."

As for the even bigger money he stands to make on his next contract, something agent Ryan Tollner has broached with the Steelers, Roethlisberger wants no huddle on that one.

"I have enough to think about right now. Job security is always important, but there's a lot going on right now with other guys and so I'm not going to sit here and gripe and complain. I'm just going to let things happen that happen."

Wow, imagine that, the Steelers not doing something creative on offense that might have actually generated some momentum last year and could have potentially won us some games !

Having said that , I like how Bruce is getting Ben involved in the game plan, this will ensure us that Ben truely has every opportunity to succeed in this scheme and that we're incorporating things that he likes and is good at along with the basic game plan.

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Having said that , I like how Bruce is getting Ben involved in the game plan, this will ensure us that Ben truely has every opportunity to succeed in this scheme and that we're incorporating things that he likes and is good at along with the basic game plan.
    Evolving your playbook to fit your players......hmmm.......I think that's called GOOD coaching. Not trying to fit square pegs in round holes, that's also good because it usually makes a mess and doesn't work out very well. Smart guy this Bruce Arians. I am excited to see the finished product on the field this year.

My expectations for this season are:
    1. Make the playoffs
    2. Get some payback on those Ratbirds
    3. Keep the fans and team in Cinci well stocked with reasons to continue crying.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Once again I'm impressed. With Ben, with Arians, with the responsibility Ben's being given and with the leadership he's forming.
    Hotlink it and spread the love!

We keep seeing these stories and every time I like what I hear more and more. I love how the coaches are giving more responsibility to Ben.

I just CAN'T wait to see how everything comes together on the field!

Is it August yet???

Sig by BR7

Football season is upon us and I'm getting excited! Bruce basically handing the offense over to Ben and asking what he wants to do.... This is going to be awesome! The Steelers offense has always looked its best when running the no-huddle because defenses always knew what was coming so they could get in the right personnel... This is going to awesome tough and I can't wait!

Last edited by AZ_Steeler; 05-25-2007 at 12:05 PM.

Talking Ben's Year

This is really a great chance for Ben to show his true colors. He's in good health, which is a far cry from last year. I really think he is ready to take that next big step to greatness! Not to say he isn't great now, but I think you all know what I mean. I want him to make Brady and Palmer look like the fools that they are!!!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Finally Big Ben will become an NFL QB....I understand why Cowher protected Ben his rookie year but if Cowher had remained HC then he would have wasted Big Ben's talents. You draft a QB in the first round for a reason. So I'm glad they letting Ben call the protections and are putting an offense in place for him. Now Ben still has to prove he is a top QB in the NFL. But at least he will have the chance now. He will have no more excuses.

I'm calling it now...Ben will throw for 30 TDs this year.lol

This is just another step Ben has to take along the process of becoming an great quarterback. He's feeling more comfortable in his job and that's great !
    The previous staff may have been a little over protective last year , now we get to see how he bounces back from adversity!!

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

The one time they ran a no-huddle offense in the Cleveland game, Ben was unstoppabe. I hope they use it more.

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die."

House of Steel
    They need to run the No Huddle like 70% of the games, it will throw the defenses way off the line. I want to see this more and more often. I've done a few times for fun and in practice in college. Nothing more successful than the No Huddle.

Thread Information