Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: power or finese, you decide

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Great post Diesel and I agree totally. The NFL is adjust on the fly league anymore. The days of winning a championship by just pounding the pigskin down the throat of every team are over. Great point on Cowher's stubborness with his power running game in the post-season. Plus when you factor in coaches like Belichick who take away your strengths and force you to beat him with your weakness then you pretty much need a balanced attack in todays NFL.

Also Cowher finally won the Super Bowl with a speed RB as his starting RB and also by opening up the offense in the play-offs. Lets face it was Ben's arm in those three play-off games that got us to the Super Bowl rather then the RB's legs.

Plus looking at our current players on offense I think their talents fit a spread offense more then a true power offense especially Willie Parker.
    Thanks bro.....change is going to happen whether fans like it or not. I really believe that Tomlin knows what hes doing, thats not guaranteeing success in his first season but at least he has a direction he wants the Steelers to be going in. He is setting us up for a lot of future success. How much you want to bet the Rooneys told Cowher "Get your head outta your ***, be more flexible and win us another Lombardi"

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Tailgate Coordinator
    Great points Blitzburgh, I'm in the power crowd. Must be old! Long drives also keep our defense rested on the bench.

I'm A "Champion"

Stlrs4Life - Great points Blitzburgh, I'm in the power crowd. Must be old! Long drives also keep our defense rested on the bench.

Finally !! hehehe. Seriously i totally understand everone's comments about we need to be flexible etc etc but since when has any team been great at both power and finese ? never, you are either one or the other. This thread is not about Cowher, or parker. The thread is getting away from the main point i was trying to make of the physcological damage and intimdation the ramming down the other teams throats casues. Remeber the book extract was from a Raven point of view.

again
    The Ravens were only 10 points behind with loads of time to play yet they were sooo demoralized because of the way they were physically dominated by power football it was already over. Finese football would never have had that effect on them. They knew they couldn't do anything about the power so in essence "gave up". If they were playing a finese team for sure they wouldn't have thought that they would have thought lets be smart and we're still in it.

Yes i understand with the personel we currently have power is not a great option ( although i think Davenprt could do a good job if given more responsibility ) , and we need to ulitlaze what we have to the best of our abilities for sure, just i think nothing scares the willies out of an opponent more than a power running game and would prefer it if the Steelers went back to that rather than as it appears we are going to get away from it.

wouldn't you rather have an offencive system that made other teams "give up" shortly after half time than an offencive system still let other teams think they are still in the game even when they are only 10 pioints behind?

Anyway i think thats enough on this you get my point, ( sigh maybe i'm just having Bus withdral symptoms.......... god i miss seeing him play )
    Last edited by Blitzburghpete; 05-25-2007 at 04:20 AM.

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzburghpete View Post
    ...i think nothing scares the willies out of an opponent more than a power running game and would prefer it if the Steelers went back to that rather than as it appears we are going to get away from it.)
    If anyone saw Jack Lambert, or Mean Joe, etc barrelling down on them, they were scared lol

wouldn't you rather have an offencive system that made other teams "give up" shortly after half time than an offencive system still let other teams think they are still in the game even when they are only 10 pioints behind?
    Of course! We're STEELER fans--that's what (given our DRUTHERS) we'd ALL rather have most of the time--or at least 98% of us I'd assume. I mean watchin those old greats in action from the 70's (when guys were actually still ALLOWED to play football without all the stupid pansy calls/flags....that was some great action!

I kind of feel that the officiating has caused as much or more change to the way we can play (as anything else), and gettin used to the refs new rules had to be hard to handle as well...

Anyway i think thats enough on this you get my point, ( sigh maybe i'm just having Bus withdral symptoms.......... god i miss seeing him play )
    Absolutely --we know exactly what you mean...

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Stlrs4Life - Great points Blitzburgh, I'm in the power crowd. Must be old! Long drives also keep our defense rested on the bench.

Finally !! hehehe. Seriously i totally understand everone's comments about we need to be flexible etc etc but since when has any team been great at both power and finese ? never, you are either one or the other. This thread is not about Cowher, or parker. The thread is getting away from the main point i was trying to make of the physcological damage and intimdation the ramming down the other teams throats casues. Remeber the book extract was from a Raven point of view.

again
    The Ravens were only 10 points behind with loads of time to play yet they were sooo demoralized because of the way they were physically dominated by power football it was already over. Finese football would never have had that effect on them. They knew they couldn't do anything about the power so in essence "gave up". If they were playing a finese team for sure they wouldn't have thought that they would have thought lets be smart and we're still in it.

Yes i understand with the personel we currently have power is not a great option ( although i think Davenprt could do a good job if given more responsibility ) , and we need to ulitlaze what we have to the best of our abilities for sure, just i think nothing scares the willies out of an opponent more than a power running game and would prefer it if the Steelers went back to that rather than as it appears we are going to get away from it.

Getting away from the point? I don't think so.... When talking about what type of offense you prefer then you have to take in account what type of players we have on offense. When looking at the current offensive players on the Steelers roster the O players don't fit a true power offense. When you have a speed RB like Willie Parker you have to tailor an offense that best suits his talents. As for Dookie Daveport...The guy isn't a power back. Yes he is 250 pounds but he doesn't run like a power runner.

As for why Bill Cowher was mentioned in this thread....His so called great power running game only netted the Steelers one Super Bowl win in his 15 years as HC. You just can't run the ball down the throat of every team anymore and expect to win a Super Bowl. The 70s are over....Get over it.

lol "finesse" give me a break, that means your soft....steelers are not soft, jus because we are gonna have a fast RB and a few WRs on the field at one time and maybe throw the ball a little more doesnt mean we play like girls. Our defense is one of the best and has potential to get better so its not soft at all....no one runs on the steelers and we take pride in that, tomlin will make our secondary better and it will be a hardcore defense not "finesse". But just because we dont have cowher running the ball 4 times and punting and playing not to lose doesnt mean we are a "finesse" team off of a sudden. Its a new time for the steelers and i cant wait...just becaus we dont have the bus to have 20 carries in the 4th quarter doesnt mean its the end of smashmouth football as we know it...its just changed a little bit

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    lol "finesse" give me a break, that means your soft....steelers are not soft, jus because we are gonna have a fast RB and a few WRs on the field at one time and maybe throw the ball a little more doesnt mean we play like girls. Our defense is one of the best and has potential to get better so its not soft at all....no one runs on the steelers and we take pride in that, tomlin will make our secondary better and it will be a hardcore defense not "finesse". But just because we dont have cowher running the ball 4 times and punting and playing not to lose doesnt mean we are a "finesse" team off of a sudden. Its a new time for the steelers and i cant wait...just becaus we dont have the bus to have 20 carries in the 4th quarter doesnt mean its the end of smashmouth football as we know it...its just changed a little bit
    Nice post train...I hate all this talk of power or finesse anyway. The Steelers will always run the football and stop the run. I just like the fact we won't be as predictable on offense anymore. If that labels as a finesse team then so be it.

Before any one condems the Tomlin new offense, lets watch it in action and see if we cant fall in love with it the same way we did when The Bus came on board and ran people over.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Nice post train...I hate all this talk of power or finesse anyway. The Steelers will always run the football and stop the run. I just like the fact we won't be as predictable on offense anymore. If that labels as a finesse team then so be it.

That's what it's all about; running the ball and stopping the run. If we don't do that we're sunk. We've prided ourselves on that philosophy for as long as I can remember so there's no reason to stop now. Our players need to step up and be accounted for.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    I get where you're coming from on this thread. Truthfully, I'd rather have the Steel Curtain defense back, you want to talk about being demoralized. RB's and QB's getting shellshocked and stuffed in the backfield will make an entire offense feel totally helpless. WR's scared to go across the middle for fear of being laid out, offensive huddles where players are crying and knees are shaking. BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS!!!!! HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!!!

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Thread Information