Thread: Speculation on new offense is, well, intriguing

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Fine

Speculation on new offense is, well, intriguing

http://mvn.com/nfl-steelers/2007/05/...ll-intriguing/

By Tony Ferrante | May 22nd, 2007

So far this offseason some of the Steelers’ personnel moves, as well as comments made by a few of the key offensive components, have fans speculating on just how different Mike Tomlin’s offense is going to be, compared to that of Bill Cowher.
    Anyone watching the Steelers over the past few years would probably agree that their offense had become awfully predictable.
    Something like this;
    • 1st down - Mid range pass, incomplete
    • 2nd down - Run up the gut for minimal gain
    • 3rd down - Mid range pass, incomplete
    • 4th down - Lousy Gardocki punt
    Look familiar ???
    Well, maybe by the time we’re sitting here next year, we’ll look back and reflect that Tomlin’s offense didn’t change much at all.
    But I have to say, it appears that there could be some significant changes. I stress the word could.
    It started with the recently completed draft, when in the 3rd round, when most Steeler fans in the civilized world were screaming for a running back, the Steelers pulled the tablecloth from underneath the plates and drafted TE Matt Spaeth from Minnesota.
    Yes, let’s give the young man his due, he was the Mackey Award winner as the nation’s top tight end.
    But getting drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers, who rarely use their tight end ??? We’ve been hearing since the Clinton Administration that they were going to be using their tight end more in the offense, but that really has never come to fruition.
    Then minicamps started up, and both Big Ben and Heath Miller talked about working on three tight-end sets, along with Jerame Tuman and Spaeth.
    Now just recently, when interviewed by FSN’s Paul Alexander, Ben had what some people would call “gall” in actually making comparisons with his Steelers offense to the that of the Colts this coming year.
    That’s the Indianapolis Colts, not Burt Jones and the Baltimore Colts.
    Now to be fair, Ben specifically said that the offense would never be as elaborate as Peyton Manning has it running now, with audibles galore.
    But he also said that while the Steelers would never totally get away from the run, as he said the Colts have a tendency of doing, that the offense would look more like the Colts than in years past.
    So the question now becomes, just what do Mike Tomlin and Bruce Arians have up their collective sleeves ???
    Is it really conceivable that the Steelers could throw that kind of potentially lethal offense together ??
    Do they really have the weapons at wide receiver to make that happen ??
    How would those types of changes in the offense affect Willie Parker, Kevan Barlow, and the overall running game ??
    A lot of questions, huh.
    Steeler fans have heard talk of a more wide open offense before, so I think that it’s natural for fans to be skeptical when we hear it yet again.

I know we've already been talkin about this--but it's by a different author, and one of those "crumbs" that has been mentioned lol

This story never gets old... it just increases the excitement for the upcoming season. The Steelers have always been a grind it out on the ground team and the thought up them opening it up and spreading out the field both North & South and East & West is exciting and something any fan has been waiting to see... hopefully it doesn't turn into the 2003 season!

Wink

I just dying to see the first game. I hope we get to see some of the new stuff in the Hall of Fame game vs New Orleans!

In 2006, the Super Bowl XLI Champion Colts had 110.1 rush yds/game. The half-Super Bowl contender, half-#1 pick eligible 8-8 Steelers had 124.5 rush yds/game.

The Colts' top 2 had 1722 yards, the Steelers' top 2 had 1715.

But what's more telling is Colts allowed 173.0 rush yds/game and the Steelers allowed 88.3 rush yds/game.

There's no reason we should have been 8-8 last year. We were the best team in the NFL and I think we've got a shot to be again this year.
    Hotlink it and spread the love!

Good points MVP... If you look at the colts, they are NOT like the eagles as to where they pass 75% of the time!!! They just run the ball effectively because what fool is gonna try to put 8 in the box against Peyton the whole game. Thats how we need to be... im not saying we need to pass the ball more than we run, but when you are constantly in 3rd and 6+ you are gonna be throwing of 3rd down 95% of the time. If we could get 5+ yrds on first down, then 2nd down, we could call anything in the playbook!!! In short we need to use the pass as a weapon, not as a way to pick up all of our 3rd downs. Thats another reason Ben was on his *** all year and led the league in INT's when its 3rd and a mile its pretty easy to call the all out blitz!!!

Tailgate Coordinator
    Man, I hope I'm wrong about this newoffense, but I'm not real happy about it. It's not the change that I'm afraid of, it is the unknown that I don't like.

I'm A "Champion"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Anything is more appealing than run, run, pass, punt...

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Anything is more appealing than run, run, pass, punt...
    I hear that

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

Thread Information