Thread: Preseason thoughts?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

Question Preseason thoughts?

So we went 0-4 in the preseason. What are your thoughts on our Steelers team for this year?
    I think we will be fine in the long run and make a nice push for back to back SB wins once again. Some of our starters haven't played well or at all but that will change once the season really starts and people will see what this team is made of!......

Even with the 0-4 start I'm not too concerned. The biggest concern I had was Big Ben! He seems to have quieted all the critics so that's a plus. Smith, Holmes and Reid have all really impressed me, by mid season we all will be saying "Randel who?"

Based on the playing time for the starters this preseason you could tell the staff really wanted to see what the team has for backups, they weren't to impressive but they all won't be on the field at the same time... thankfully! The Steelers do have some really good individiual backups, let's just hope the entire offense doesn't get hurt in some freak accident <<knock on wood>>

Overall, the preseason wasn't all that bad but I am looking forward to the start of the season!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    * Anthony Smith, our rookie safety has really stepped up and in the coming years is going to be pushing for more playing time. He's already a ST demon !

*Willie Reid has had a great camp and preseason and it looks like we found our punt returner to replace ARE.

* Santonio Holmes started out camp and preseason kinda slow and not doing much, but has really come on the last few weeks and showing alot of upside.

* Duce got alot of work and the more he ran the better he looked but he still just didn't look real comfortable

*Im more than happy with Batch as our backup and if we carry 2 QB's we'll be fine as long we keep Omar Jacobs on the PS. He definately looked alot better as of last night than Shane did.

All in all, yeah we are 0-4 in the preseason..so what, the games start counting now and we got 7 days to get ready for Miami ! It's time to defend our title !!!

My Mood
    Addicted
    -WR Corps looked great. Nate Washington and Willie Reid impressed me.
    -RB concerns me a little. I'm confident in Willie, but I think we are lacking the big bruising back.
    -Anthony Smith is a monster. I am loving this guy.
    -Big Ben was a concern of mine, but no longer is. He looked fine.
    -Ricardo Colclough looked better than he has. Maybe he will be the one to step it up this year?
    -Gardocki may be on his way out. Mike Barr looked good and is the cheaper option.

My Mood
    Amazed
    I think one game was shown here in Lansing. Soounds to me like they have a lil work to do. I am not predicting a SB but the Steelers are one of the treams that plays football in January.
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

House of Steel
    You guys are great with observations for the Pre-Season:

Here is my wrap from the Steeler Maniac:

- Being at 0-4 is no big concern at all, since Coach Cowher hardly played the Starters at all, we are looking real good from what we've seen.

- We got a problem at FS with Ryan Clark being a total bust and Tyrone Carter making too many mental mistakes. Mike Logan had a great pre-season. The surprise player here is Anthony Smith who is a freaking monster on Special Teams. I believe we got another Troy Polamalu like player coming up soon.

- Ben was awesome all pre-season long, silenced the critics like someone said. I think he could have an MVP season here in the Burgh. Charlie Batch is a solid backup for Ben which I am very comfortable with. However, the third postion is a disaster for Omar Jacobs and Shane Boyd. I see Boyd getting cut fast and Omar on the practice Squad

- Running Backs: Duce Staley is a total disappointment. I am not impressed. A major decision must be made, but he is a chunk of money on the salary cap, I say dump him to sign Ike Taylor or Joey Porter long term. Willie Parker was sensational and going to put up some big numbers this season to establish himself as a Top 5 NFL rusher. Kuhn is showing some rave reviews playing at RB, FB, and a possible indication, he could be used as a Backup TE to Heath Miller. Why not train the guy. Cedrick Humes is a disappointment and will be signed to the practice squad.

-Receivers: Hines Ward's Hamstring has been a pain in the neck, although, an MRI revealed no damage to his hamstring so he should be 100% ready to go for the opener against Miami. Nate Washington is the STUD OF THE SUMMER!!! This kid played lights out the entire pre-season and is the special weapon on trick plays, he did fantastic. Willie Reid is also another stud this summer with his plays on the special team, we finally found our replacement for the departure of Randle El. Santonio Holmes is a great player with a big potential of becoming a superstar for this team. Quincy Morgan also had a good pre-season and should garner the last spot on the depth chart. Sean Morey, Lee Mays are history.

--Offensive Line and Defensive Line: Solid, Keisel is going to be a monster taking over Von Olehoffen spot on the line. Porter is back to form after major knee surgery. The Secondary is a little bit shaky concerning the FS position. Townsend and Taylor should be shut down corner this season. Colcough is getting there, but needs more work as well as McFadden.

Special Teams: This is all set for the return game with Willie Reid. Jeff Reed had a mediocre pre-season with an surprising two miss FG against the Eagles that was getting Cowher a little antsy. Chris Gardocki still has his position locked as Barr gets cut or put on the practice squad.

Overall, I believe this team is explosive and should be in the thick of the playoff race to Super Bowl XLI. I am ready as ever.

I'm gald it's over. Now bring on those damned Dolphins!

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Maniac
    - We got a problem at FS with Ryan Clark being a total bust and Tyrone Carter making too many mental mistakes. Mike Logan had a great pre-season. The surprise player here is Anthony Smith who is a freaking monster on Special Teams. I believe we got another Troy Polamalu like player coming up soon.
    This is a mouth full and you're right on! For some reason, I always go back and watch the games again and again and again... drives my wife nuts! Any how, there has been a common theme with these two guys, Clark and Carter, if they aren't lost on the field then they are bumping into the corners at the snap of the ball and letting their man get open for a score or they just pull them down and hopes the ref doesn't see it. I've watched the Cardinals and Eagles game at least 3 times a piece and it's like they just aren't geting it! I don't know if the schemes are too complicated, they are intimidated by Troy or are just flat out dumb and have no football sense to them!

Smith has been a HUGE suprise and hopefully the coaching staff realizes that soon and let's him run loose! Smith and Polamalu as the two safeties... WOW can't wait to see the day!!!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    All I have to say is the whole starting offense looked like dog crap in last years pre-season. Look how the season ended. I think we will be fine. But sure you have to worry alittle on how our running game struggled. But I think the starting Oline just needs to get their rythem among themselves and the RB's.

SA First Blitzburgh Blitzburgh55's Avatar
    The preseason dosent count for crap We will do fine this year

Thread Information