Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kuhn trying to stick.....

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

Kuhn trying to stick.....

Running back John Kuhn hopes his versatility will open a spot on the Steelers' roster for him this season.

PITTSBURGH Ė Is he a fullback, a halfback or some version of a combination of the both?
    Thatís the question the new coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers are asking themselves about John Kuhn.
    The 6-0, 255-pound Kuhn has the size of fullback Dan Kreider, but surprising speed as well for a man his size. But despite his obvious physical attributes, the Steelers havenít been in a hurry to give Kuhn an increased role with the team - yet.
    Kuhn, who is entering his third season with the team, hopes to change that in 2007.
    ďI donít feel like Iím being overlooked,Ē said Kuhn. ďThere are certain things that I bring to the table that make me unique from other guys. Thatís what Iím trying to do now, carve out my own niche.Ē
    Kuhnís niche could be a valuable one.
    Willie Parker is firmly established as the teamís No. 1 running back, while Kreider the teamís starting fullback. The Steelers re-signed Najeh Davenport this offseason and recently brought in veteran Kevan Barlow as well. But they didnít take another running back in the draft, though they did add a bevy of undrafted rookie free agents afterward, most notably, Gary Russell of Minnesota.
    But with Verron Haynesí release earlier this year Ė though the team is monitoring his rehabilitation from a knee injury Ė the Steelers may have an opening for an emergency fullback on the roster behind Kreider. The 6-1, 247-pound Davenport has the size to handle the job, but has always been more of a runner than a blocker in the NFL.
    Kuhn, a record-setting running back at NCAA Division II Shippensburg University, was always more of a runner than a blocker as well. But heís spent the past two years learning the nuances of blocking from Kreider and former Steelers running backs coach Dick Hoak.
    ďThe blocking is getting a lot better than it was when I got here,Ē Kuhn said. ďI didnít do any blocking in college. Coach (Dick) Hoak started me along. (Current running backs coach) Kirby (Wilson) is taking it to the next level, helping me become the best player I can be. And Danny, this is going on my third year with him. Heís given me tips and secrets, just to make my job easier.Ē
    The one thing Kuhn has working in his favor that some of the other backs on the roster donít is his ability to play special teams. Neither Davenport or Barlow have ever covered kicks in their NFL careers, something Kuhn showed some promise doing in 2006.
    ďIíll do whatever Iím asked to do, whether it be running the ball, blocking or covering kicks,Ē said Kuhn. ďI have no problem doing any of that.
    Kuhn came to the Steelers in 2005 as an undrafted free agent, but was released in training camp. He signed a contract to play for the San Jose Sabercats of the Arena Football League but chose not to report after being signed to the Steelers practice squad in late November and stuck with the team throughout its improbable playoff run and Super Bowl victory.
    He was re-signed for the 2006 season, but was again released at the end of training camp and again signed to the practice squad. But the Steelers signed him to their active roster in late October and he played in the final nine games, showing promise as a special teams player. He also had two carries for 18 yards and also caught one pass for another 15 yards.
    ďI was happy with the way I performed when the opportunity was given to me,Ē said Kuhn. ďI feel like the more opportunities Iím given, the more Iíll produce.Ē
    So what does Kuhn need to prove to show the coaching staff he deserves that chance?
    ďI just need to have a better preseason than I had last season,Ē Kuhn said. ďI need to show these coaches that I can do it. Last camp I was better than my first year, but it wasnít quite enough to make the team coming out of camp. This year, Iíve just got to try a little harder and make their decision more difficult.Ē
    By Dale Lolley
    For SteelCityInsider.com
    Posted May 21, 2007

I don't know if this guy will contribute in the backfield or not. Special teams is cool, I'm hoping Russell comes on strong and proves something, likewise with Davenport. Don't really know to much about this guy.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    i rather have russell, i don't like guys that are considered two things much, cause it more then likely means they ain't good enough at one position to be considered for that spot, he'll never make an impact in the league, he might as well just retire and use his college degree or go to nfl europe....... and we don't need an emergency fullback, cause i doubt we'll use krieder much any more cause of the new offense so he won't get hurt
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Long version:
    I liked what I saw out of him last year. It really depends on how many guys the Steelers want to hold on to, though. They have Parker, Davenport, Kuhn, Barlow, and Russell with their eye on Haynes as well. I think it's possible they keep Kuhn in favor of Russell or Haynes, but I have my doubts that Barlow will do much in a limited role.

If they're going to run 25 rushing plays a game, Parker is sure to get 18-20 of them. Davenport will most likely pick up the rest.

If Willie and Najeh stay healthy, it's hard to imagine Kuhn, Barlow, Russell, or Haynes getting more than a few snaps a game between the 4 of them. They'll be primarily used in blocking situations when they do go in.

Short version:
    Kuhn shows promise, but the depth chart past #2 won't see much action.
    Hotlink it and spread the love!

i dont kn0w a whole lot about him. he probably wont comtributa alot, since parker is clearly number one. And i dont see him getting the number two spot on out roster. we'll see though.
    black and gold born, black and gold bred
    when i die, i will be black and gold dead

thanks HOS for the sig!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    John Kuhn Rocks !! I've said it many times before, this dude can be an asset to this team. Verron has always been the 3rd down back and backup FB to Kreider so we never needed a 2nd FB. With Haynes hurt this gives Kuhn a chance to step up and be counted. We'll still using the FB in our offense so we'll need to have one. Najeh is definitely more of a runner than a blocker and John can do both pretty well. This is his year to bring it because the roster spot is there for him. He's got some competition but I like what the kid brings to the table. Im not saying he's going to be the number 2 guy here but he's got the stuff to be on the team in the same role that Haynes has been carrying for us so I'd be happy if he made the squad.

Personally, I'm pulling for the guy. It would be great to see a Ship grad play in the NFL...score one for the little schools.

Thanks to BB2W for the sig

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Dako View Post
    Personally, I'm pulling for the guy. It would be great to see a Ship grad play in the NFL...score one for the little schools.
    Gotta like the local guys making it to the NFL, that's always a great story ! I hope he brings his A-game this offseason and training camp and is able to make the squad. Before he was behind Jerome, Willie, and Najeh on the depth chart so he's got a chance now to be the 3rd guy if he steps up to the plate...

House of Steel
    I think this is the year Khun really defines himself to the Steelers and impress Tomlin enough to grab a roster spot. I am pulling for him too.

As easily injured as Najah and Barlow are it would be good to have Kuhn there to pick up their carries.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    russell/barlow/garbage man>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kuhn

nuff said
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Thread Information