View Poll Results: How did the NBA do in administering a one game suspension to 2 Suns players?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • The NBA ruling was right on.

6 46.15%
  • The suspensions of the Suns were excessive considering the circumstance.

5 38.46%
  • The punishement should have been more severe.

2 15.38%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: NBA Suspensions in Suns/Spurs Series

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk Believer View Post
    Hadn't there just been a really hard foul and two players were staring eachother down when Duncan went on the court? Why did he go on the court anyway? Rules are rule, but there is a lot of room for interpretation. Some people are more equal than others in the NBA. Micheal Jordan never fouled out because it didn't serve the league to make that happen. There are rules against traveling but its obviously not enforced, at least for the guys with the big contracts.

It just seems wierd that the Suns get two guys kicked out for a game for steping over a line and not doing a single thing to escalate the situation and Horry gets only 2 for flagrantly going after a dude.
    no, watch the link, it's not even a foul when tim gets up, that's why tim got up, he was being his whiny self and complaining that jones just flipped elson after a dunk.......but he didn't stand up cause there was an altercation, elson just got up and ran back to defense didn't even look jones way
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Reppin' 724
    It's a crappy rule, but it is still a rule.....I voted that the punishment sucked, b/c the rule needs to change.

The following video shows definatively that Stoudamire was on the court to go check on Nash after the play was dead. A fight starts after he is already out there. Seems like plenty of wiggle room if the NBA didn't want to throw the series in one direction.
    [MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qopfUzvGgMo[/MEDIA]

They seemed to find some of that wiggle room in the situation described below...
    Steve Kerr wrote in Yahoo Sports:

"In a play that went entirely unnoticed until well after the game was over, both Duncan and Bowen actually left San Antonio's bench early in the second quarter after Francisco Elson and James Jones were entangled. Replays clearly show Duncan walking several steps onto the court as Elson and Jones appeared to be ready to get into it. Bowen then followed Duncan onto the floor, grabbed him and led him back to the bench. If the league does indeed follow the letter of the law, both Spurs players would also be suspended for Game 5." (more)

Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    no, watch the link, it's not even a foul when tim gets up, that's why tim got up, he was being his whiny self and complaining that jones just flipped elson after a dunk.......but he didn't stand up cause there was an altercation, elson just got up and ran back to defense didn't even look jones way
    But what motivated Duncan to go out there. The dudes were staring at eachother and posturing. Duncan hadn't checked in. Its pretty hard ot imagine any other rason he went out there other than he thought things were about to escalate into a fight after that foul.

Stoudamire on the other hand was going out to check his teammate who had just been laid out and was not heading in the direction of any Spur before a fight broke out and then he only did things to de-escalate the fight.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk Believer View Post
    But what motivated Duncan to go out there. The dudes were staring at eachother and posturing. Duncan hadn't checked in. Its pretty hard ot imagine any other rason he went out there other than he thought things were about to escalate into a fight after that foul.

Stoudamire on the other hand was going out to check his teammate who had just been laid out and was not heading in the direction of any Spur before a fight broke out and then he only did things to de-escalate the fight.
    no they weren't, look at the youtube link i posted, elson was not even looking at jones, he got up an ran and the ref went to him elson held up his hands like i ain't doing **** and went straight to the guy he was guarding

duncan is just a cry baby and wanted that to be a foul........ amare ran out there to help just in case there was a fight, he might've been going to play peace maker or he might've been going to stephen jackson someone............ he broke the altercation rule, duncan didn't plain and simple

is it a stupid rule yeah, but it's still a rule

That video cuts away to a tight shot away from the action. I have heard a lot of people say they were in a stare down during those moments. But maybe they were just seeing what they wanted to see. I wish there was a link that showed the whole episode.

So I guess the strategic thing to from now on would be as follows: If good player from the rival team is off the bench and on the court during a deadball, a lesser player should shove someone so the rival player will be suspended. Trade a pawn for a bishop... Lame.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    but there was no altercation, and tim got up to complain like he always does, he didn't go out to fight......amare ran out like a mad man, all tim did was get up and start complaining............

Amare ran out but not to fight. That video shows the fight started after he was out.

So like I said, the next time Duncan steps out to complain, the Suns 12th man should shove a Spur and Duncan would be out the next game. I guess they'd better do it in game 6. (I am not being serious, its just the whole thing seem ludicrous)

I will make a point of watching the next game. Should be pretty intense.

Thread Information