Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When TE's Attack.....

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted

When TE's Attack.....

The Steelers' three-day minicamp concluded Sunday afternoon. Those expecting defensive changes were disappointed, but it was a big weekend for devotees of the spread offense.

PITTSBURGH – There weren’t any mad blitzes from linebacker Brett Keisel, nor did the line spread out to include Chris Hoke as the under-tackle in a 4-3.
    Was there any 4-3 at all this minicamp weekend?

“I haven’t seen it,” said Hoke. And he would know.

“We’re running all our base stuff,” he said. “Everything’s just been an addition to our 3-4.”

The defense has remained the same in new Coach Mike Tomlin’s first minicamp. But the offense, now that was a different animal.

The offense was spread out: Sometimes five were wide, sometimes two tight ends flexed out to joined two receivers.

One time – and historians labeled it the first three-tight-end pass set in team history – Jon Dekker, Cody Boyd and Jerame Tuman all shifted and ran into each other before coming set into a bunch right formation.

Quarterback was sacked on the play.

It was a brave new world for the Steelers, who appear to be shifting from a physical offense to a finesse offense.

But didn’t Tomlin once say he believed in football by attrition?

“All spread football does is pre-determine a box count,” Tomlin said at the conclusion of minicamp. “Whether you’re going nine-on-nine with two tight ends on the field and are pounding the ball in there, or whether you spread it out and you go five-on-six, it really doesn’t matter. It’s the nature of how your line comes off the ball and how your backs finish.

“Just because you spread the field doesn’t determine what kind of offense you are. It’s just the nature with which you play the game.”

That should come as a relief to fans who’ve grown to appreciate the Steelers and their climate-guided mission statement of physical and conservative football. Here’s how the key players viewed the offense this weekend:

Ben Roethlisberger: “It’s utilizing the weapons that we have. We’ve got so many very good weapons on the outside, at running back, and at tight end, so I think this offense is helping us utilize every part of it.”

Hines Ward: “It’s really going to take a lot of pressure off myself and the other guys now that we are utilizing our tight ends.”

Heath Miller: “We’re just taking a look right now at multiple formations, multiple sets, maybe add a little variety to what we do. If you can do that one, or two, or three times a game then it gives the defense a little something more to think about.”

Is that what it’s about? Two or three times a game?

“Who knows?” said Miller, the quiet intellectual. “Right now, if (offensive coordinator Bruce Arians) wants to use more tight ends, it’s our job to go out and prove that it’s going to work.”

When the tight ends weren’t running into each other, they showed good athleticism and soft hands. Miller, of course, is on the verge of becoming a Pro Bowl player. Rookie third-round pick Matt Spaeth is 6-foot-7 with soft hands and a scratch-and-claw mentality on the line. Boyd, an undrafted free agent, is also 6-7 and showed good hands and agility and could become a training-camp sleeper. That would hurt the chances of last year’s undrafted rookie, Dekker, who’s bulked up and shown a greater confidence and understanding.

Are the linebackers having trouble handling this attack of the tight ends?

“Nah, not our linebackers,” said linebacker Larry Foote. “Maybe the opponents will, but not us in here.”

“I think it’s more of a Denver-style offense,” explained safety Troy Polamalu. “They’re using that kind of slashing-type mentality, working everything off play-action as we have been doing. I think Willie’s a very good running back and very able and very capable to run behind that kind of offensive line, so I think it’ll be very beneficial to us.”

So, what about Willie Parker? He’s the player most principals feel will benefit the most from a spread and scattered defense.

“I love it,” said Parker.

Better than the old offense?

“Better than the old offense,” he said. “I just love it.”

By Jim Wexell
    SteelCityInsider.com
    http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=68&p=2&c=643645
    It sounds like everybody is buying into the new offense. It still drives me nuts to think we hardly ever used Miller's talents. This year? different story, with the new offense, spread WR's, multi TE sets, we should be more then capable of keeping opposing D's on their heels.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

I like what I'm hearing ,now they got to make it work on the field !!

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

Cool

We have the best TE's in the league I'm glad we are going to use them like they are suppose to be. We will really confuse our opponents if we have a new look to our offense, while keeping our defense as strong as ever!

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    i hate conservative football with a passion, all it ever did for us was lose us big games, so i hope we get away from that conservative bullshit, and just throw and run the ball in a balanced way down the other teams damn throats, **** getting a 3 point lead and then only throw once the rest of the game.......
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

i have always hated conservative football as well, it cost us so many games and did not take that much time of the clock when you go 3 and out because the other team knows what you are doing and can stop you from gaining that first down

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    i hate conservative football with a passion, all it ever did for us was lose us big games, so i hope we get away from that conservative bullshit, and just throw and run the ball in a balanced way down the other teams damn throats, **** getting a 3 point lead and then only throw once the rest of the game.......
    You got that right Koop. We need the Kill, finish em off mentality. We start doing that, other teams will take notice that we are the team not to mess around with!! Every time they make a mistake we capitalize off it, the D runnin around poppin people in the mouth making their legs shake, GET EVERYBODY SCARED TO PLAY US!!!

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

With this new offense, Miller is going to be a TE fantasy god!

Even if Ben struggles with the receivers (which I don't think will happen this year) he will be able to hit the short passes to the TE's.

I think we may struggle a bit in the first few games with a new offense, but in time I think it will work. I don't like the conservative offense either it's definitely time to spread it out a bit! If ben bounces back this year, it will work.

Sig by BR7

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I like this working on the basics with defense...let's get back to what we do best and get that down pat and build on it with the nuances and changes over the rest of the summer and in camp.

Ladies and Gentlemen we might finally see the TE getting used to their potential this year !

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Heath Miller will have 50+ catches and 10+ TD's this year mark it down. Big Ben will also throw 30 TDs this year and become the first Steelers QB to throw for 30 TDs in a season.

Ok I said Ben would do that last year to. But if I keep predicting it every year it might happen.lol

I love the new look of the steelers the only thing i am worried about is the quote saying (It was a brave new world for the Steelers, who appear to be shifting from a physical offense to a finesse offense) i dont want to see our offence chage to much. But overall the steel curtain is going to stay the overall same and no matter what changes take place im ready for the damn season to start already...

Thread Information