Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this guy Tomlin for real?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Amazed

Wink Is this guy Tomlin for real?

I don't know if I am getting snowed by letting all this positive press for Tomlin go to my head. But is this guy for real? I mean, has there ever been a better debut as a Steelers coach? It's like the guy never puts a foot wrong and knows just when to ease off on a guy like Faneca and when to sort of be pointed in his comments.

It doesnt really matter much as he will be judged (as he should be) by the number of wins he puts up on the board. Its just that the opinion from outside the organization as well as inside, seems to be uniformly positive. As in..this guy is SPECIAL. I know other coaches are loathe to badmouth their fellow brethern, but so much of the commentary is beyond just being polite. Its effusive praise with a slight bit of envy for a guy that so many see as one of the bright young minds in the NFL coaching fraternity. The old boys club.

Talk to me if they miss the playoffs and have a player mutiny...lol! We all know how things can go from bad to worse when you have irrational exuberance about a new change in direction. But I think the Rooney's (once again) have made a superb choice for coach. I love what I see and hear. Cooperation. Calmness in the face of a storm. A love of the game. A willingness to listen to people like Lebeau and not be intimidated or dismissive of an elder statesman of the D. A managerial panache more likely to be found in a much more experienced coach. A "go for the proven player over the reach or sleeper" in the just concluded draft (perhaps more a function of Colbert being allowed to follow scout's evaluations on Day 2 rather than being influenced by the Chin).

Good things happening with our new coach and it promises very bright days ahead.
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

yep well said. Same feelings from me about Tomlin to

I think the FO have got the right man for the job.

I have a great feeling about the guy also. Actually I couldn't be more excited about having a new coach. It is going to be different, but I think it will be exciting too.

Just listening to how much players that have played for him, respect the guy is such an added boost to all of the stories I have read about the guy!

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    His age and manner reminds me of my husband--I think that's why I liked him so well from the first few stories I read on him. The more I read, the more it sounds likely to be true.

Hopefully we'll still be as happy with Mike 4-5 years from now, as I still am with Darren lol
    Last edited by SteelersWoman; 05-17-2007 at 01:44 AM.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    i think he's for real, he coached under dungy so you know he'll be a success, even if it was for one year...... all his former players say he's made them better by coaching them, and he's coached some pretty damn good players........ i don't think he'll win a super bowl this year, but i think he'll win at least 2 here..... i think we finally got more then just a motivator, i think we got someone that can actually coach it up not just out muscle or die
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Cowher was all about the same types of things, a commitment to winning, getting the most out of his players, getting back to Steeler football, etc...there's a lot of similarities in how Tomlin is starting out and how BC is starting out.

So far Mike is saying all the right things, and seems to be pushing the right buttons with his players, and getting down to business with an open mind...Im anxious to see how the team responds and works with him once camp starts !

I will reserve judgement on Tomlin until after the season, however I would praise him to the heavens if he could make the season start already.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    The one thing I like is he's coming in and taking charge by holding players accountable. He's not just getting a feel of the place, he is asserting himself and making the Steelers his team. He is getting respect by doing that and on the same side, he is being held accountable also. Tomlin has learned from some of the very best, the Rooneys knew this and now the team is finding this out also.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

on his daily radio show on sirius, solomon wilcots declared that the steelers "hit it out of the park" with the tomlin hiring. adam schein quickly agreed.

nobody in the mainstream media is questionning this hire anymore. and all thoughts that he was hired because of the "rooney rule" are dead (that is the best thing)

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
    nobody in the mainstream media is questionning this hire anymore. and all thoughts that he was hired because of the "rooney rule" are dead (that is the best thing)
    They are all jumping on the Tomlin bandwagon, "experts" my ***.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Thread Information