Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Third man in

Bookmark and Share
    Tailgate Coordinator

Exclamation Third man in

Nice SI article by King. Kinda long, I'll just post the link.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...521/index.html
    Last edited by Stlrs4Life; 05-15-2007 at 08:00 PM.

I'm A "Champion"

House of Steel
    I am so glad you put this up, Dom.

There is an adjustment process, to be sure. The News was published at each of the first two minicamps, and some veterans have felt the sting. "Some guys don't like it," says wideout Hines Ward, the MVP of Super Bowl XL. "I made it at our first minicamp for spiking a ball and trash-talking. Spiking's going to be a penalty this year if you do it on a play that isn't a touchdown, and he pointed out what I did in front of the team." Roethlisberger said Tomlin put him in the News last weekend for not having as good a practice on Friday as he'd had in the first set of practices last month. For Tomlin, not much has changed -- he has already called out the Steelers' two biggest stars.

"Everywhere I go," says Ward, "people will ask me, 'What's the coach like? We don't know much about him.' I tell them, 'We're still trying to figure him out too.'"

Noll didn't lose sleep over what his players thought of him, and you get the feeling Tomlin will be like him in that way too. "You know what's funny?" Tomlin said late last Saturday, not sounding at all as if he thought it was funny. "People keep asking the players what they think of me. It's irrelevant. Their job is to play. My job is to evaluate them."
    This right there tells me some serious discipline is going to take shape with Tomlin. He isn't going to put up with showboating or stupid **** like a bad practice out of his players. I love this approach of calling them out on their mistakes and evaulating them. I love the Fred Smoot story.

From what I read and seen, I think Tomlin is the perfect candidate. The more I read about him, the more I feel very strongly about him. I am so happy and ecstatic that he is our head coach. I am telling you, football season needs to get here and fast. This is going to be one hell of a ride this season.

Tailgate Coordinator
    I hear ya HOS, I like this quote at the end:

"You know what's funny?" Tomlin said late last Saturday, not sounding at all as if he thought it was funny. "People keep asking the players what they think of me. It's irrelevant. Their job is to play. My job is to evaluate them."

I'm A "Champion"

Tomlin has every reason to feel as if he hit the coaching lottery in succeeding Bill Cowher.
    he really did, this is as secure of a ob you can get coaching a team in the NFL

Reppin' 724
    Good read...

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Nice read!! I like how the Rooneys run the show. You see a lot of teams who will make the popular choice, the Rooneys make the right choice. Tomlin can not only talk the talk but he can walk the walk, hes proved that by putting everyone on alert and by making not so popular decisions. It was way past time for a change and Tomlin will prove all the haters wrong, I'm glad hes our coach.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    i love that, not afraid to call out star players............ i'll probably hate tomlin in a few years cause i just hate coaches lol, but i love everything i read on him and i can't wait for the season to start, i know we won't win the super bowl this year but he'll have at least 2 before he's done with the steelers
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This is going to be very interesting as camp gets closer. These minicamps are one thing where's it's an overall upbeat, light atmosphere but once crunch times comes and camp starts it's going to be wild !

2 day practices, 100+ degree heat, stress of learning the plays and putting everything together, the whole 9 yards that goes with training camp is where we'll really start to see Tomlin come out and show us what he's got with these players and how he pushes them and motivates them. It will give us a great insight as to how he'll be on the field come September.

Thanks for sharing ! I also agree I can't wait for camp and then the season!!

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    That reminds me of a show I saw on Bradshaw the other day...to put it nicely, he didn't like Noll while he was a player, because Noll was always pushin him to do better. Terry thought it was a "personal" attack against him, and held it against Noll for years. Took him growin up to realize it wasn't NOLL that had the problem --HE did. Ended up makin a public apology and thanked him for all he'd done. I also get the feelin it'll be that way with Mike--guys probably won't like him for callin them out, but later on, (after a few SB wins ) they'll thank him

Thread Information