Thread: Article: Don't count Lorello out with Steelers

Bookmark and Share

Article: Don't count Lorello out with Steelers

If the Steeler do end up keeping 6 safeties what impact will this have on the other positions of the roster? Obviously, 2 QB's instead of 3 as everyone else has suggested, but it's something to make you think about.

Anyone have any information on this guy? I figured he would be cut so to be perfectly honest I don't know him or haven't even heard of him unitl now... I'm slacking

http://www.heraldstandard.com/site/n...d=468632&rfi=6

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wexell, For the Herald-Standard
    PITTSBURGH - One of the Steelers' top talent evaluators warned two weeks ago that the team could keep six safeties. He mentioned it because undrafted rookie Mike Lorello was playing so well. And then Lorello played better.

"Don't count him out," the source said.

But the numbers puzzle would seem to make Lorello an impossible fit onto the 53-man roster - not that Lorello has been checking the math.

"Coach (Bill) Cowher has been preaching the whole time not to count numbers because the approach to take, the one I've taken, is I can only control what I do," said Lorello. "I just have to go out there and feel good about the progress that I've made and what I've been able to do and the rest will take care of itself."

Lorello is a 5-foot-11, 208-pound strong safety out of West Virginia University. A native of Powell, Ohio, Lorello was a three-year starter, team captain, and first-team All-Big East at WVU, where his 31.5 tackles-for-loss rank fifth in school history.

Lorello started slowly with the Steelers, getting burned a few times in early practices, but he picked up the defense and began making plays in preseason games. Against Minnesota, Lorello sacked quarterback Tarvaris Jackson for a seven-yard loss early in the third quarter. In the same game, Lorello teamed with lineman Orien Harris to tackle running back Wendell Mathis for a two-yard loss.

In last week's game against Philadelphia, Lorello put a hard hit on running back Ryan Moats for a three-yard loss. The next day he learned he'd passed the Steelers' first cuts.

"The first day I came to minicamp in May, my head was spinning," he said. "But we went through things twice in minicamp and once again in training camp and we've been running the same defense since I've been here, so I feel comfortable. I really know what I'm doing and I know what people around me are supposed to be doing, for the most part."

About his three tackles-for-loss in the last two games, Lorello said: "Those were just plays I should've made."

Has he received support from local fans who know him from his college days?

"Yeah. I saw a lot of people at camp who would just yell my name because they knew I played for West Virginia," Lorello said. "It really goes hand in hand: If you're a West Virginia fan, you're more than likely a Steeler fan too.

"A lot of people are rooting for me back home and I've gotten a lot of compliments and congratulations, but everybody knows it's not over yet, so we'll see."

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The coaches have been impressed with him in camp and preseason but I think it might be a numbers game where he gets left out. Polamalu, Clark, Anthony Smith, Logan, Townsend, Ike Taylor, McFadden are all locks to make the team. Right there is 7 DB's as it is, not counting if Coclough & Tyrone Carter make the team that would be 9. I just don't see him fitting into a position unfortunately.

Bummer! Looks like they let him go, maybe they'll pick him up for the PS?

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    They seem, atleast at this point to be stocking up on DB's so you never know.

House of Steel
    I am not surprised with the cuts other than Kuhn which was a big mistake in my opinion.

Thread Information