Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faneca Will Leave Steelers After Season

Bookmark and Share
    Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

Faneca Will Leave Steelers After Season

PITTSBURGH - Longtime star lineman Alan Faneca says he is through negotiating with the Pittsburgh Steelers, pushing them again Friday to trade him and promising he won't play for them past this season.
    Faneca, an All-Pro left guard five times since 2001, reported to a three-day minicamp only because it is mandatory and he could be fined for not attending. He didn't threaten to sit out the season, but made clear his unhappiness with a team that won the Super Bowl only 15 months ago.
    "This will be my last year as a Pittsburgh Steeler," Faneca said.
    Faneca, a nine-season veteran widely regarded as one of the NFL's top offensive linemen, said the Steelers' only offer to him wouldn't have made him one of the NFL's 10 highest-paid guards. Faneca will make $4.375 million this season in the final year of a contract worth $25.6 million in 2002, but was subsequently renegotiated to help the Steelers get under the salary cap.
    Faneca would like to be traded, but is resigned with staying with Pittsburgh for another season.
    "I've been asking since February to trade me, to let me go," Faneca said. "I've done my piece. I've done my time. I've done everything I can for this organization. I've lived and breathed Steeler football for nine years and gave them everything I've had and helped them win a Super Bowl. In my mind, I've earned the right to be treated fairly." (you can't argue that)
    Faneca's criticism is virtually unprecedented for a Steelers player so accomplished _ only a handful of players in team history have made All-Pro more than he has.
    The Steelers usually re-sign their key players and, thanks greatly to player-friendly owner Dan Rooney, have long been considered the NFL's model franchise for handling players.
    That these barbed remarks came from Faneca, an accessible but almost never outspoken player, made his pointed comments all the more surprising. Faneca is worried that, should he sustain a career-ending injury, he has no contract protection beyond 2007.
    "To make me go out there this year and play football with no security, just to go out there and play football, for what I've done for this organization, in my mind, it's not right," he said.
    Team spokesman Dave Lockett said the Steelers wouldn't comment because they don't negotiate publicly. New coach Mike Tomlin called Faneca's outburst "part of the things that create distractions" and must be overcome during his first season.
    "It's part of the things you've got to fight," Tomlin said. "It comes with the territory in today's NFL."
    The 30-year-old Faneca also effectively said the Steelers misled him two years ago, making him think he would get a significant contract offer only to make a low-ball offer.
    "To do what I've done to help this team out, the things I've done for this team and to be told two years ago, `We'll talk when the year's up, that's how we do things,' and I play by the rules, I do that, and the offer I get is pretty much a non-offer," Faneca said. "What am I to think?"
    Faneca also doesn't understand why the Steelers are reluctant to give him more money when it could be expensive to replace him. Guards such as Eric Steinbach, Kris Dielman and Derrick Dockery all got big contracts this offseason, and the Cowboys guaranteed $18.75 million to lineman Leonard Davis, previously considered a disappointment in Arizona.
    To Faneca, the Steelers' decisions to not re-sign him and to release former Pro Bowl linebacker Joey Porter, who later signed a big-money deal with Miami, send a poor signal to their players.
    "What are the guys in the room to think?" Faneca said, sweat still dripping off him after a two-hour practice. "If they can do it to me and everybody else and let Joey go and do things like that, what does that say to the rest of the guys?"
    Faneca's remarks also illustrate the nervousness some veteran Steelers players feel after the club replaced 15-year coach Bill Cowher with the inexperienced Tomlin. He was the Vikings defensive coordinator for only one season before taking over from one of the NFL's most successful coaches over the last quarter-century.
    Asked his impression about Tomlin, Faneca said, "I've got no impression."
    Faneca wanted the Steelers to promote longtime assistant coach Russ Grimm, who has since moved to Arizona with new Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt, another former Steelers assistant.
    "I think everybody's unsure about the direction of this team," All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu said. "It's a first-year coach. ... He's inherited a team. He didn't build it up from 13 years of being in the league, for example. Obviously, it's going to take time as a natural product of being a new coach."
    Polamalu, also unsigned past this season, called Faneca's words "troublesome" because they come from a player widely respected by his teammates.
    However, unlike Faneca, Polamalu is optimistic the Steelers will make him an acceptable contract offer by September.
    I know that this is an ongoing story but just wanted to add this to the collection.

You got to admit that Alans has some good points here and I stand behind him with how this team disregaurds their players when it comes to paying guys for their talent.

Faneca also doesn't understand why the Steelers are reluctant to give him more money when it could be expensive to replace him. Guards such as Eric Steinbach, Kris Dielman and Derrick Dockery all got big contracts this offseason, and the Cowboys guaranteed $18.75 million to lineman Leonard Davis, previously considered a disappointment in Arizona.
    Alans, IMO, Is better than all the names mentioned above. Plus I can see him continuing to play up to par for the next 3-5 yrs,even then he would only be 35yrs old. (ya that's old in football but young in life)

"What are the guys in the room to think?" Faneca said, sweat still dripping off him after a two-hour practice. "If they can do it to me and everybody else and let Joey go and do things like that, what does that say to the rest of the guys?"
    Yes I would say, "this would leave a pretty bad impression to the guys in the lookeroom."
    And if you read between the lines, Because of who Troy is and what He stands for, You know that in the back of his mind He's got to be thinking that this spiral down effect is going to include him in the process of his future.
    Steelers Motto......
    First we offer you a extention and low ball you for the first couple of year. (tell you it's for Cap reason) Then we get you to renegotiate your 3rd year and then we dismiss you like your services to this team ment nothing and neither do you. (Damn, and I thought only my Boss used that motto)
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Tailgate Coordinator
    Boo-Hoo Alan. Sounds like Alan needs a Tissue for his issue. I don't even want him to play for us this seasson. We will hear about this all season. Just like when the rumor of Cowher retiring came out.

[img=http://aycu11.webshots.com/image/14770/2005094247460036821_th.jpg]

Last edited by Stlrs4Life; 05-13-2007 at 09:41 AM.

I'm A "Champion"

Quote Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
    Boo-Hoo Alan. Sounds like Alan needs a Tissue for his issue. I don't even want him to play for us this seasson. We will hear about this all season. Just like when the rumor of Cowher retiring came out.
    +1

Shut the **** up, Alan.

Juts like cap said,,,,,,,,,,will linger all season

Like i've said,we need to trade him now and get something 4 him !

POKER LEGEND
    this is exactly what he wants all this attention and we are all giving in to it who really cares anymore

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I hope Faneca is man enough to let it rest now that he's said his peace. He got his out for the media to go nuts over, now let it drop and let's move on dude ! You'll get your money somewhere else if you if you don't get it here but let's not keep this going on and on and on.....

even though we all know it will

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    I hope Faneca is man enough to let it rest now that he's said his peace. He got his out for the media to go nuts over, now let it drop and let's move on dude ! You'll get your money somewhere else if you if you don't get it here but let's not keep this going on and on and on.....

even though we all know it will
    Alan got good points but at the same time he needs to think about the impact he has on the other players that look up to him.. All he is going to do is set a tempo of distraction for the season. And he needs to go suck russ grims dick, Russ isent here man deal with it , it comes with the NFL just cause you want a special person to be head coach dont mean its going to happen.. Get over it and move on... I think we need to boot him asap befor it becomes more of a problem because we all know he is not going to shut up.

Everybody knew this was going to happen,the thing that has caught most people off guard was him taking it public. The media is going to keep asking him questions, and him being honest he will answer as such.
    I 've seen in one of these threads they are 6 million apart, 19 million offer versus 25 million want,which really isn't that much, relatively speaking. I don't think its right that he's telling everybody that their offer is completely unacceptable, players do sign with teams for less then market value if they have a sense of loyalty to the team. It is entirely up to them to sign any contract, which he happily did on the up swing of his career when he was made the highest paid guard. It sucks that he feels underpaid for the season, 4.5 million plus bonuses. To say he is playing with no sense of security,imho, is wrong. Every player in the last year of their contract, signed willingly, can have the same kind of anguish.Should the STEELERS upset status quo and just give him another couple million for the season,to a player that has flat out said he will not play another season beyond this one? Again IMHO no. Bottom line you signed the contract play out it's terms !!!

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

[QUOTE=BlacknGold Bleeder;109150]
    I 've seen in one of these threads they are 6 million apart, 19 million offer versus 25 million want,which really isn't that much, relatively speaking.

WOW ,,,,, only 6 mill apart Just like the guy's on sirius are saying
    it sounds like alan wants to be the highest paid gaurd

Won't happen,,at least not in the burg

Originally from Johnstown, PA...now trapped in Bungleland
    Quote Originally Posted by BlacknGold Bleeder View Post
    Everybody knew this was going to happen,the thing that has caught most people off guard was him taking it public. The media is going to keep asking him questions, and him being honest he will answer as such.
    I 've seen in one of these threads they are 6 million apart, 19 million offer versus 25 million want,which really isn't that much, relatively speaking. I don't think its right that he's telling everybody that their offer is completely unacceptable, players do sign with teams for less then market value if they have a sense of loyalty to the team. It is entirely up to them to sign any contract, which he happily did on the up swing of his career when he was made the highest paid guard. It sucks that he feels underpaid for the season, 4.5 million plus bonuses. To say he is playing with no sense of security,imho, is wrong. Every player in the last year of their contract, signed willingly, can have the same kind of anguish.Should the STEELERS upset status quo and just give him another couple million for the season,to a player that has flat out said he will not play another season beyond this one? Again IMHO no. Bottom line you signed the contract play out it's terms !!!
    Very well said.

Thread Information