Thread: Tomlin getting tested early...

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Tomlin getting tested early...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07133/785762-66.stm

Sunday, May 13, 2007
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

As with Alan Faneca himself, the Alan Faneca story just won't go away for the Steelers this weekend, and it is putting their new, young head coach to an early test.

Less than 24 hours after declaring he would reluctantly participate throughout a mandatory minicamp, Faneca skipped the morning practice yesterday after someone -- apparently from the organization -- said something that upset him.

Then someone else, coach Mike Tomlin, convinced the six-time Pro Bowl guard to rejoin his teammates for the afternoon practice.

"Some things were said, and I just had to cool off, a little cool-off time," Faneca said after the second practice.

He said the mystery remark was unrelated to anything he said Friday when he passionately declared this would be his final season with the Steelers because they were not treating him fairly in talks to extend his contract past its one-season expiration date.
    Faneca's status on the field and off as the most-decorated guard in the Steelers' history and a three-year co-captain makes his stance a potential tinderbox for Tomlin. If so, the 35-year-old coach seems to be handling this early trial well.

Not only did his lunchtime talk with Faneca convince him to return to the practice field, Tomlin has managed to put his team through what appeared to be four strong practices the past two days. He could use this as a means to get some early messages through to his players.

"Sure, it's an issue," Tomlin said, "but I think more than anything else it's got to be a lesson for us as a football team in that the season is not without its ups and downs. Adversity is part of it, distractions are part of it.

"Take this as an opportunity to grow in that area and deal with some things and go out and play football. ... The standard of expectation is not going to change on our football team regardless of what's going on, whether somebody has personal issues, whether someone's playing or not because of injury. ... If nothing else, we're getting some positive out of this from that standpoint as a football team. But, again, it's a very personal issue for Alan. I respect that element of it, and we'll move forward."

Tomlin downplayed whether the circumstance was a test for him.

"Well, you know, all of this is a test. Every time I get out of my car in the parking lot, it's a test. And it's one that I readily accept as part of the job, and I'm excited about meeting the challenge."

Faneca's issue certainly was a topic among his teammates; whether it becomes a distraction might not be known for months or until the season opens.

"I don't consider that a problem, to be honest with you," said starting right guard Kendall Simmons, one of Faneca's closest friends on the team. "We as a team are going to take care of our part and we're going to support him because we know what's going on and know the situation.

"That's up to them to deal with that. I don't think there's going to be a distraction. We had a good practice today, and it ain't going to change from here on out. Love to have him out there. It makes us 10 times better when he's out there."

Chris Kemoeatu, entering his third season, took Faneca's place at left guard for the morning practice.

Tomlin could fine Faneca for skipping the morning practice, but would not say if he did so.

"Again, we'll deal with that, but we'll deal with that internally."
    So far Tomlin is able to keep things under control and hopefully he'll continue to do so. This is part of life as an NFL head coach especially when you're talking about players as popular and talented as Faneca, Porter, etc.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Tomlin has seen this stuff before, indirectly as a assistant. He was in TB when Sapp was let go, I'm sure Gruden gave him tips on how to deal with that stuff and how to handle the locker room atmosphere thing.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

I wonder if Tomlin has been in touch with any of his former head couches for help with this issue

I'm glad Tomlin is saying all the right things

It's to bad his 1st coaching job has to be filled with player contract issues !!!

It'll all work itself out IMO

Draft Pick
    It sounds like Tomlin is the right man for the job........I think one of his strong points is that he's a great communicator and he's really keeping a cool head and doing and saying all the right things. I suspect that this whole Faneca situration will be resolved with Tomlin earning some well deserved respect from the players. He's reeling them in......one by one.

Born in Steeler Country......Living in WhoDeyLand

Tailgate Coordinator
    We can all only hope. I personally hope they cut him or trade him.

I'm A "Champion"

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Oh, somebody said something that upset Alan Faneca and thats why he didn't practice in the morning. What a bitch......How did it make this long in the NFL being so sensitive. Reading this just made lose more respect for punkass Alan Faneca.lol

House of Steel
    Hey, I wouldn't put the blame on Alan for skipping practice, but if the Steelers Management is going to treat him like ****, I would be pissed off too in his shoes. This man put everything on the line for them in the last several years. I am starting to see the whole picture now. Alan is reacting like any other player would, I am beginning to really question what the hell was said that set him off. I don't like the way he is being treated here.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by House of Steel View Post
    Hey, I wouldn't put the blame on Alan for skipping practice, but if the Steelers Management is going to treat him like ****, I would be pissed off too in his shoes. This man put everything on the line for them in the last several years. I am starting to see the whole picture now. Alan is reacting like any other player would, I am beginning to really question what the hell was said that set him off. I don't like the way he is being treated here.
    Oh the Steelers management has treated him like ****? Are you ****ing serious? Come'on House don't make me throw up. All the Steelers have done is let Alan Faneca make millions of dollars. Oh I feel so bad for Alan Faneca.lol

Alan Faneca is piece of **** and a bitch. I hope he doesn't play this season for the Steelers. Man my bosses at work say stuff I don't like all the time and I still have to do my job. I can't sit out for a couple hours and say somebody said something mean to me and I don't feel like working. What a bitch Faneca is.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by House of Steel View Post
    Faneca isn't anyone special, no matter what hes done. Hell Franco Harris went through the same thing back in 1984. Its Business!!!! Faneca gettin pissed and not showing up is not the way a professional acts, more like the way a 3 year old acts. Plus who is anyone to question how the Rooneys run their team?

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Thread Information