Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Polamalu not worried about new deal

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_507306.html

By Scott Brown
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Saturday, May 12, 2007

The stir created by Alan Faneca's incisive and blunt comments Friday obscured the fact that several other key players are in the final year of their contract, most notably safety Troy Polamalu.
    On a day when Faneca announced he will not end his career as a Steeler -- the team, he said, made him a "non-offer" in regard to a contract extension -- Polamalu said he would like to do just that.

"God willing, I'll be able to retire here as a Steeler," Polamalu said yesterday after a morning minicamp practice. "That's what I hope."

The Steelers will have to do something with Polamalu that they are apparently unwilling to do with Faneca: pony up some serious cash.

The five-year contract Polamalu signed before his rookie season in 2003 is worth just under $9 million.

His next contract will be a quantum leap from that, and the Steelers just may be willing to make Polamalu one of the highest-paid safeties in the league because he is a perennial Pro Bowler and is only 26 years old.

The Ravens made Ed Reed the highest-paid safety in league history last June when they signed him to a six-year deal that is worth as much as $40 million and included a $15 million signing bonus.

"I honestly haven't paid too much attention to it," Polamalu said of the progress he and the Steelers have made on a contract extension. "It's nothing that really worries me too much. I don't think about it every day."

Polamalu missed minicamp three weeks ago, but it had nothing to do with his contract. He was on a faith-based trip that he had planned well in advance of the scheduling of the voluntary minicamp.

"I want it to happen," Polamalu said of an extension, "but right now, it really doesn't matter
    ."

Troy is a team player and he's relies on his faith to carry him through so he'll let it go at that and see what happens.

If we're not going to resign Faneca then we better take those dollars and get Troy inked before this offseason is done.

My Mood
    Addicted
    The Rooneys know what they got with Polamalu, it would take a whole lot to fill his shoes. Lets hope by the time the camps wind down, they are in a good place as far as negotiations go.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Thats cool that Troy won't cause problems or complain about his contract. But still as the article points out the Rooney's will have to give Troy a contract as much as Ed Reed's or something around that. I don't see the Rooney's giving him that much money.

Originally from Johnstown, PA...now trapped in Bungleland
    I do not want to lose Troy. Watching him play is Steeler football. He is one that I just don't want to think about someplace else.

"God willing, I'll be able to retire here as a Steeler," Polamalu said yesterday after a morning minicamp practice. "That's what I hope."

Love this comment by the best safety in the game

What he does in our "D" would be really hard to replace, But i'm hoping
    and that we won't have to

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Thats cool that Troy won't cause problems or complain about his contract. But still as the article points out the Rooney's will have to give Troy a contract as much as Ed Reed's or something around that. I don't see the Rooney's giving him that much money.
    That is why I say get rid of Faneca now so he doesn't become a TO like Locker Room problem.

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die."

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    troy ain't a fat *** cry baby, that's why i like him, i like the approach he's taking, every fat **** should follow troy's ways of doing things
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    troy ain't a fat *** cry baby, that's why i like him, i like the approach he's taking, every fat **** should follow troy's ways of doing things
    You like him till he says something to **** you off then you'll say he's a bitch

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    You like him till he says something to **** you off then you'll say he's a bitch
    Good point Top.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    naw, cause i never liked faneca, i always thought he was overrated, he isn't the greatest of pass blocker, he only shines when we run it 99% of the time........plus troy don't roll like this fat ****, he won't say something to **** me off, he's to humble for that
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Thread Information