Thread: NFL looking at possibly adding 17th game

Bookmark and Share
    Gold Standard

NFL looking at possibly adding 17th game

NFL looking at expanding to 17 games

NEW YORK (May 10, 2007) -- Americans always seem to want more pro football. Yet it's the folks abroad who might be getting an extra taste of the NFL in the future.

Although talks are extremely preliminary, the NFL is investigating adding a 17th regular-season game and playing it outside the United States. The extra game would take the place of one in the preseason, allowing every team to play once abroad without sacrificing a home match.

This year, the Dolphins gave up a home date in Miami to play the New York Giants at Wembley Stadium in London. Two years ago, the Arizona Cardinals played a home game in Mexico City against the San Francisco 49ers.

"It is preliminary, but we certainly are putting resources into pulling that together," said Mark Waller, NFL senior vice president, international. "For now, we have the one game per season or two per season outside of the U.S. But we know it can be tough on home fans since we're taking a game away.

"So we have asked how do we create more inventory without taking games away from fans? That idea came up in internal conversations and we now have an international committee of owners and we talked it through with them, and they asked us to do some groundwork."

While the 17th game won't get off the ground next season, for sure, it could become a staple of the NFL's schedule by 2009 or 2010. But it would present some significant logistical and scheduling challenges.

For one, if there is another week to the regular season, does that mean openers played on Labor Day weekend, something the NFL has avoided in recent years? Or does it mean pushing the Super Bowl back a week to the second Sunday in February? Or leaving the title game where it is and eliminating the week off between conference championships and the Super Bowl?

"I don't see a huge downside to a week later. The strength of the idea warrants bringing it up for discussion," Waller said.

And what about during a Winter Olympics year such as 2010?

"It might be an issue for the Olympics," he adds with a laugh.

Where would the "foreign games" be played? And how would they be divided?

Waller notes that there won't be 16 different venues for the 17th games. More likely would be a "mini-season ticket" of perhaps four games in one city or country.

"It is very early, but our thought is what we could end up with is every week there would be one international game," he said. "We won't have all of them on the same week. And what you would do is look at taking, for instance, four games to London. Play a game in Wembley each month, having eight different teams coming through. A game in September, one in October, one in November and one in December.

"It's a great opportunity from a fan perspective, because they get half of what a fan in the United States gets, four games to eight."

Aside from England, other prime areas to get games would be Germany, which has a half-dozen quality stadiums thanks to last year's World Cup; Mexico; and Canada. Waller doubts Asia or Australia would be targeted because of the travel concerns, but he doesn't dismiss anything. Or anywhere.

"It is a complex idea and it will take a lot of work on a number of sides," Waller said. "The beauty of it is it's competitively fair."
    Here are my thoughts on the matter. We have already given Europe it's own NFL league which is also helping to develope some late bloomers for the NFL. Why should my home town team have to play an international game once a year for fans who don't really give a **** about my team or it's opponent? Why not give that 17th game to the fans who really care and have helped this league become the most lucrative sports league in the world? Just alternate every other year with each team so one year you have 8 home games and the next year you have 9. If you would like to share the NFL with all of North America, how about adding a Canadian team or two and maybe even one in Mexico. When our team had away games against those new teams.......there ya go - International games. I don't like the idea of our league pandering to an international community especially in these times when there are radical muslim terrorist groups in just about every country (including our own) and we are going to trust the host countries to provide adequate security for our athletes? They may as well wear uni's that bear our stars and stripes with the addition of a bulls eye on the chest and back. And for what? A bunch of fans who would rather be watching a soccer game? Cudo's for thinking outside the box, but let's keep our favorite league playing games for the real people who have made it our #1 sport.......not the players........the fans!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

..:: SIXBURGH ::..
    It's AMERICA'S GAME. Keep 'em ALL here.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Playing overseas is just a royal pain in the *** and fubar's the schedule for both teams...not to mention the fact of losing out on a home game possibly. No thanks, as 4vr mentioned thats what we have NFLE for.

Keep them here...it's not like we're going to expand and NFL franchise anywhere but in the US anyways so don't make the players go through all the BS of flying overseas and screwing up the schedule just because you want to spread good will everywhere...let NFLE do that.

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Playing overseas is just a royal pain in the *** and fubar's the schedule for both teams...not to mention the fact of losing out on a home game possibly. No thanks, as 4vr mentioned thats what we have NFLE for.

Keep them here...it's not like we're going to expand and NFL franchise anywhere but in the US anyways so don't make the players go through all the BS of flying overseas and screwing up the schedule just because you want to spread good will everywhere...let NFLE do that.
    My thought's exactly

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    The logistics of doing this would be to much. The travel times, layovers, time to practice, flight back home, time to practice again for the next game. That would put a big strain on the players. Plus on top of that, its Americas game, when people overseas here football, they think of soccer. I understand what they are tryin to do but in the long run it won't be worth it.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Angry
    I heard a good discussion yesterday on the NFL's commitment to try to expand the globalization of the NFL and that there were supposed whispers that perhaps in the not too distant future that the NFL in an effort to expand their market and increase revenue would consider Pimping Out the Superbowl to the Highest Bidding Foreign City!!

The day the Superbowl is held in a foreign city and not in the USA is the day I stop being a fan of the NFL.

SA First Blitzburgh Blitzburgh55's Avatar
    I was watchin a NFL Europe game and it was Packed it looked Sold Out so their are alot of Fans in europe but its to far i wouldnt care if they had games in Canada or Mexico
    They should make a team in Canda or Mexico if they want to expand

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambridge View Post
    Pimping Out the Superbowl to the Highest Bidding Foreign City!!

The day the Superbowl is held in a foreign city and not in the USA is the day I stop being a fan of the NFL.
    You got that right bro!!!!! This is Americas game!!! Nobody else's!!!!

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Thread Information