Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earnhardt Jr. leaving DEI

Bookmark and Share

Earnhardt Jr. leaving DEI

I never thought this would happen especially after hearing he had control 51% of DEI

Link to Story
    Dale Earnhardt Jr. officially will say goodbye to Dale Earnhardt Inc. on Thursday morning, Yahoo! Sports has learned.

A highly placed source within DEI as well as additional sources familiar with the situation told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday afternoon that both Junior and teammate Martin Truex Jr. will announce Thursday morning that they are leaving the DEI camp at the end of this season and will drive for Earnhardt's heretofore Busch Series operation, JR Motorsports.

Sirius Radio also reported late Wednesday afternoon that the Earnhardt/Truex split with DEI was a done deal and that the new Cup team entry will field Chevrolet chassis built by Hendrick Motorsports and will use Hendrick engines as well. Sources at Hendrick Motorsports reportedly disavowed knowledge of a pending partnership, however.

Sources tell Yahoo! Sports that Earnhardt Jr.'s primary sponsor, Budweiser, will follow Junior to JR Motorsports. Budweiser's contract with DEI is due to expire at the end of 2008, but Yahoo! Sports sources believe there are provisions within the contract for an early exit if Earnhardt Jr. does not drive the No. 8 Chevrolet for DEI.

The press conference, which will be televised nationally, will take place at JR Motorsports headquarters in Mooresville, N.C., at 11 a.m. ET on Thursday.

There has been no comment thus far from either DEI president Teresa Earnhardt (Dale Jr.'s stepmother) or company director of global operations Max Siegel.

Truex's contract with DEI reportedly runs through 2008, though '08 might be only an option year on his deal with the team. It also is possible Truex has an out tied to primary sponsor Bass Pro Shops' future with the DEI. Sources have told Yahoo! Sports that the sponsor has explored moving to a different team after this season.

Earnhardt and sister Kelley Earnhardt Elledge have been in often contentious negotiations with Teresa Earnhardt that have sparked considerable posturing from both sides in the media.

Both siblings have said that if a deal with DEI was not in place by the end of May, they would consider a variety of options, including Junior leaving DEI. Just last week, DEI confirmed that it was talking with Robert Yates Racing about a possible merger and also a switch from Chevrolet power plants and chassis to Ford engines and chassis.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. began his racing career with DEI in 1996, shortly after the organization was formed by his late father, seven-time Cup champion Dale Earnhardt, and Teresa Earnhardt.

Earnhardt Jr. won back-to-back Busch Series championships in 1998 and 1999 before moving full-time to the then-Winston Cup Series in 2000. His first career Cup win was at Texas, with a memorable celebration between father and son in victory lane.

Voted the most popular driver in NASCAR by fans the last four years, Earnhardt Jr. has 17 career Cup wins but has yet to win his first Cup championship. He has gone 36 consecutive races without a win, his last being at Richmond in May 2006.

House of Steel
    This was coming sooner or later. A lot of friction going on between the siblings and Teresa Earnhardt. This sucks, but I wish Junior well. I hope he can get it going with this own motorsports team. I think it sucks to hear Robert Yates Racing trying to merge with DEI to change the engines to Ford. Chevorlet rules, I am sure Junior's heart is set with Chevorlet with the history of dominance in the sport.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    WOW!! I thought they had come to an agreement too. Oh well Jr. is better off going his own way, far away from Teresa.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    because of that gold digging bitch of a step mom.........might as well file for bankruptcy now, cause it will happen eventually
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

House of Steel
    Good point, Koopa.

How are you by the way?

Gold Standard
    Let's summarize what Theresa gets to keep:

A company with a garage full of cars with no drivers......sponsors with one foot out the door.

What a dumb-*** bitch!

Like I said a long time ago, 49% of a lot is a whole lot better than 51% of nothing.

She'll be in Chapter 11 bankruptcy before the year is out.

Guess she just wasn't smart enough to know who was buttering her bread.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

I dont know anything about Nascar, but this does not sound like a very good thing for DEI. Even I have heard of Dale JR. I thought this was settled, but apparently not.

Go Chevrolet!!!

My Mood
    Smokin
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    Let's summarize what Theresa gets to keep:

A company with a garage full of cars with no drivers......sponsors with one foot out the door.

What a dumb-*** bitch!

Like I said a long time ago, 49% of a lot is a whole lot better than 51% of nothing.

She'll be in Chapter 11 bankruptcy before the year is out.

Guess she just wasn't smart enough to know who was buttering her bread.

I hope she does have to file for bankruptcy...that is all she deserves!!!

Thanks for the sig Flea

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Wow ! Im not a big follower of nascar but I do watch it periodically, this just doesn't seem right not having Jr. part of DEI anymore...this chick won't know how good she's had it till now, you can bet she'll be scrambling for drivers and Im sure their sponsors are none to happy right now.

My Mood
    Amazed

Wink

I am not a "turn left" fan at all but........I truly hate to see someone who is a namesake have to walk away from what is rightfuly theirs. Theresa Earnhardt will rue the day this happens, mark my words.
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

Thread Information