Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We'll soon know something about Faneca

Bookmark and Share
    Gold Standard

We'll soon know something about Faneca

By Dave Lolley
    for SteelCityInsider.com
    posted May 6, 2007

While new head coach Mike Tomlin was quick to dump linebacker Joey Porter rather than have Porter serve as a distraction because of a contract holdout, the team kept Faneca, who was in the same exact situation as Porter.

Both were heading into the final season of their contract with the Steelers and both were due a $1 million roster bonus at the beginning of March.

But the Steelers gave Faneca his roster bonus, but released Porter rather than pay his bonus only to have him skip mini-camp and/or training camp.

Could it be the Steelers know something about Faneca that others don't?

While Steeler fans have been up in arms about Faneca's supposed sins, the Steelers have been silent about the whole thing. There really have been no shots across the bow or any read-between-the-lines statements from the team about their star guard's status.

That could change this weekend if Faneca skips the team's mandatory mini-camp.

But the guess here is that Faneca will show up for the mini-camp. Despite the fact he's miffed about the team's initial contract offer, it would serve no purpose for Faneca to skip a three-day, non-contact camp other than to tick off Tomlin.

The opening of training camp might be another matter. But for now, look for Faneca to avoid a nasty confrontation. He hasn't missed anything to this point that would cause a problem and he's not a problem-causing kind of guy.

That's one reason why the Steelers chose to give Faneca his roster bonus while dumping Porter.

Faneca, who unlike Porter isn't clearly on the downside of his career just yet, has to know he can play out his current contract, bank $4.3 million this season and still cash in at the end of the season. He's never had a major injury. And even a serious knee injury wouldn't be devastating to his future earnings.

That likely had something to do with the decision as well.
    ***Not the Whole Article***

Not really sure how a serious knee injury could not effect his future earnings I think he will play out this year and base his decision on whether he stays or goes next year on two things:

1. How well the team plays under coach Tomlin (winning can cure a lot of woes).

2. How wide the gap is between what the Steelers offer and what he feels he can garner elsewhere. (I feel that if the offer gets him in the ballpark he may choose to stay).
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    We need to make sure we get moving on extending Troy's contract, and also Kreiders I hope as well. We have some work to do this offseason but it's not out of the realm of possibility to see everybody signed and ready to go for the future. We do a good job of getting the players signed before the start of their last season with us usually so these next few months will be interesting and wild !

Many times with veterans we work on their contracts just before or during training camp so we could see deals getting done then too.

Gold Standard
    Don't see them re-signing Kreider. The dude is getting old and finding a younger blocking fullback just isn't that daunting of a task. That McClain guy who was supposed to be this years best blocking fullback didn't go until day 2. I think they will choose to go younger here. Getting him for cheap isn't a valid argument either because any fullback we signed would be around the league minimum anyway. This will be Kreiders last season as a Steeler IMHO.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Kreider won't command all THAT much money so there's no reason we won't try to bring him back if the price is right. Whether or not Arians is going to use more of a spread offense, or how much we'll still use the traditional RB/FB type of set is still yet to be determined so at this point I'd like to see Dan come back. He's still a top FB in the league and has been around our system and players for a long time. They won't go into 2008 having to rely on a rookie or unproven FB to be the main guy at that position for us; that just wouldn't make any sense.

We shall see though, I'd like to see Dan finish his career with us if the price is right.

I agree Kreider should be able to be kept ! It's not like there is a huge market for fullbacks out there, he is a great team player and is an example for the younger guys !!

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

Tailgate Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Kreider won't command all THAT much money so there's no reason we won't try to bring him back if the price is right. Whether or not Arians is going to use more of a spread offense, or how much we'll still use the traditional RB/FB type of set is still yet to be determined so at this point I'd like to see Dan come back. He's still a top FB in the league and has been around our system and players for a long time. They won't go into 2008 having to rely on a rookie or unproven FB to be the main guy at that position for us; that just wouldn't make any sense.

We shall see though, I'd like to see Dan finish his career with us if the price is right.

I agree. We can't get rid of Dan, he knows what to expect. He signs 1 more deal and he'll retire.

I'm A "Champion"

My Mood
    Amazed

Wink

I hope we keep him.
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If Faneca doesn't show for this camp; then there might be some trouble on the horizon with him this year but I think he'll show up and get to work with his teammates.

bye bye faneca.......

My Mood
    Amazed

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    If Faneca doesn't show for this camp; then there might be some trouble on the horizon with him this year but I think he'll show up and get to work with his teammates.

If he doesn't show I will be very surprised, stranger things have happened though!~
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

Thread Information