Thread: Cleveland terminates contract of Joe Andruzzi

Bookmark and Share

Cleveland terminates contract of Joe Andruzzi

Line shift: Andruzzi's contract terminated
    Zac Jackson, Staff Writer
    The reshaping of the Browns' offensive line continued Friday when the team terminated the contract of veteran guard Joe Andruzzi.

Andruzzi was the first free agent signing of the Romeo Crennel/Phil Savage Era and has started at left guard when healthy for the last two seasons. He started 13 games in 2005 and 14 last season.

Andruzzi has played 10 NFL seasons since entering the league as undrafted rookie out of Division II Southern Connecticut State with the Packers in 1997. He was a starter on New England's Super Bowl championship teams in 2001, 2003 and 2004 before following Crennel to Cleveland in the spring of 2005.

Crennel said releasing Andruzzi wasn't an easy decision, but the addition of Eric Steinbach meant the Browns had to make a move.

"It's always tough to let anyone go," Crennel said. "But both Joe and I have been in the business for a long time. We know it's part of the business and we have to deal with it.

"He was an undrafted guy who didn't think he was going to be able to play (in the NFL) and he's played for ten years. He's had a good career and it might not be over because there might be someone else who would be interested in his talent."

Steinbach, the Browns' marquee free agent signing this March, is versatile enough to play any of the five line positions but is most experienced and most comfortable at left guard.

The Browns also re-signed interior linemen Hank Fraley and Lennie Friedman, signed veteran Seth McKinney and return three 2006 rookies with experience at the guard position, Isaac Sowells, Rob Smith and Fred Matua.

What are your takes on this?

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    He is a solid vet for depth. He has started for a Super Bowl champion. But at this point I couldn't see him as nothing more as a backup. But qualitys backups are needed in the NFL.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    His knees are shot, I believe thats one of the reasons he got released.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If he wants to keep playing he'll get picked up by someone since he'll come relatively cheap at this point.

Thread Information