Thread: Article: Batch having 'Best Camp'

Bookmark and Share

Article: Batch having 'Best Camp'

Source: www.pittsburghlive.com

I'm happy to read about Batch having his best camp. I was really surprised when he first came to Pittsburgh I always like him at Detroit and to see him backing up Ben gives me a sigh of relief... especially compared to Maddox

Pretty good story though, enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by By Joe Starkey
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW

This time last year, Charlie Batch was fighting for his football life.

Knee surgery had ended Batch's 2004 season after one week of training camp. What's more, he had appeared in just three regular-season games since signing with the Steelers after the 2001 season.

He was competing with Brian St. Pierre for the team's No. 3 quarterback job and still was unsure if the knee would allow him to go full throttle.

"The (doctors) kept saying, 'OK, once we break out of camp, you'll be feeling OK,' and I'm like, 'Well, I gotta get through camp first -- you know, if I don't make it through camp, then I won't be here,' " Batch said. "So, it was something you kind of had to keep fighting through. It was frustrating because of the uncertainty. I wanted to come in and show I could still play and not be the forgotten guy."

Batch barely survived, thanks in part to an excellent preseason finale against Carolina, which pays another visit to Heinz Field for Thursday's preseason finale. He beat out St. Pierre and won a roster spot as the No. 3 man after many thought the Steelers might only keep two quarterbacks.

Batch, 31, wound up starting two games at midseason before a broken hand put him on the shelf again, but he returns for his ninth NFL season, solidly entrenched as Ben Roethlisberger's backup.

"This has probably been Charlie's best training camp since he's been here," Steelers coach Bill Cowher said Tuesday. "I feel very comfortable with Charlie Batch."

Through three preseason games, Batch has completed 63.6 percent of his passes (21 of 33) for 202 yards, one touchdown and one interception.

"It feels good to be out there in different game situations instead of just late situations, like I was (in the preseason last year)," Batch said. "I have to take advantage of working with the starters and make sure that, hey, I'm able to put this together to where if I had to play, they know I'll be able to step right in."

Batch is the most experienced of the backups in the AFC North, and he proved last season he could still move a team effectively. That was especially true in the first half of his second start, when he completed 13 of 19 passes for 150 yards and ran for a touchdown against Cleveland. He did not return for the second half because of a broken right hand.

Teammates such as running back Willie Parker, who was Batch's roommate at training camp, speak highly of him.

"He's the backup, but he's a leader," Parker said. "It's the perfect situation. I respect that guy a lot."

Quarterback Shane Boyd, currently fighting for his NFL life, said Batch has been an enormous help.

"He has a lot of knowledge on the game and how to run the game," Boyd said. "He's been a starter, a backup, and he has a lot of insight. He's willing to share, always talking to us on the sidelines, letting us know what he sees."

The bonus for Batch is playing for his hometown team. He grew up in Homestead, 15 minutes from Heinz Field. He'd love to be a starter again, but this is the next-best thing.

"It's a good thing to be that close to home," Batch said. "It's a good feeling. I always made this my offseason home, even when I was in Detroit. It all kind of worked itself out."
    There was a table I removed from the article showing that Batch has the most starts (48) among the other backups in the AFCN.

House of Steel
    I always loved Batch as the backup to Ben. I will be honest, I am so glad to get rid of Turnover Tommy, he was an eyesore to watch. HE REALLY TICKS ME OFF TOO MANY TIMES. I will never forget the biggest comeback in playoff history when he led us back against Cleveland, that was the greatest game he ever performed. I will always respect Tommy Maddox for that one.

My Mood
    Amazed
    That Wildcard Playoff game agains the Browns was definitely the best game I have ever seen, another that ranks right up there was the halloween game breaking the Patsies record!
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Batch had a not so good camp last year so its good to see him having some success and getting reps in during game situations. The more time he gets the better in case we need him during the season.

Thread Information