Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Steelers' Timmons embraces rarefied status

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_505404.html

By Scott Brown
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Just as when he visited the Steelers about three weeks ago, Lawrence Timmons met with coaches and got a better feel for the team.

There was one significant difference between Timmons' pre-draft interview April 11 at the Steelers' South Side facility and Monday.

This time, Steelers president Art Rooney II and coach Mike Tomlin presented him with a black-and-gold jersey with the No. 1 on it.

Less than 48 hours after the Steelers made Timmons the 15th overall pick of the NFL draft, the outside linebacker from Florida State met with reporters -- and got at least a glimpse into how much his life has changed.

"I've never been through anything like this, all the cameras, just being in a big city like Pittsburgh," said Timmons, who won't turn 21 until May 14. "I think it will be just a hard change altogether because this is the NFL.

"It's just a challenge I'm just going to have to take. I know I'll be all right."

Timmons proved to be as quiet and soft-spoken as advertised, and at times, he struggled to be heard over the clicking of cameras.

But Timmons became the first linebacker the Steelers have drafted in the first round since 1991 because he is much better in front of cameras on the field than off it.

He no doubt had them focused on him last season.

Timmons recorded 18 tackles for losses in 2006, the only season he started at Florida State, and had five sacks. The 6-foot-1, 234-pounder also blocked two punts and scored three touchdowns on either defense or special teams.

"He's got exceptional burst to the ball," Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler said, "and he arrives angry to the ball."

The Steelers will soon get to see some of that attitude.

Timmons says he will spend the next two weeks working out at home in Florence, S.C., before returning for Steelers' minicamp, which will be May 11-13.

His ties to Pittsburgh now go beyond having a father who played one season of college basketball at Duquesne and knowing Levon Kirkland (Timmons grew up about 10 minutes from where the former Steelers linebacker hails).

And the number on the jersey given to Timmons yesterday doesn't just signify his status as a first-round pick, but also the lofty expectations that come with such status.

The Steelers took Timmons to compete with James Harrison for Joey Porter's old spot at outside linebacker and boost their special-teams play.

His appeal as a player also lies in his versatility.

Timmons played in a 4-3 defense at Florida State and proved to be as adept as dropping back into coverage as he was at rushing the quarterback.

The Steelers will almost certainly use him in a number of different ways, since they seem intent on showing teams multiple looks on defense next season.

"I just try to play anywhere that helps the defense win games," Timmons said. "I think my versatility is what makes me such a great player."
    He seems alittle starstruck right now so hopefully he gets used to the cameras, media, and just all the general focus that comes with being a 1st round pick.

I hope he continues to hate the camera. It seems once players get comfortable in front of the camera, they want more and more of it, and they end up being another TO or Randy Moss, who will do ANYTHING to get more face time on camera. I hope he shys away and lets his play do his talking

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    As long he is able to get past it and focus on football I think he'll be ok. He seems a bit overwhelmed right now, even though he did come from FSU which is a high profile school you can't ever be completely prepared for all the pomp and circumstance of the draft.

Well that is true, but as the article says he is comfortable in front of the camera's while on the field. It would not bother me if he never had another press conference again and allowed our veterans like Ward, Polamalu, etc... do all the talking and he was just the onfield enforcer

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    He's also got former teammates Reid, McFadden and Church there to help him adjust to life in the pros.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

i hope he lets his play do all the talkingon the field. i like that he arrives angry at the ball, and that he doesnt appear to be a TO or Moss. cant wait to see him on the field
    black and gold born, black and gold bred
    when i die, i will be black and gold dead

thanks HOS for the sig!

House of Steel
    I am really starting to get a feel for Timmons. I believe he is going to be huge for us and a big star in Pittsburgh. I would love to get his jersey. I got a feeling he is going to make us all say Joey who?

My Mood
    Smokin
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcurtaingal View Post
    i hope he lets his play do all the talkingon the field. i like that he arrives angry at the ball, and that he doesnt appear to be a TO or Moss. cant wait to see him on the field
    I agree...that will tell all when we see him on the field...

Thanks for the sig Flea

Quote Originally Posted by House of Steel View Post
    I am really starting to get a feel for Timmons. I believe he is going to be huge for us and a big star in Pittsburgh. I would love to get his jersey. I got a feeling he is going to make us all say Joey who?
    i really hope you are right HOS.
    black and gold born, black and gold bred
    when i die, i will be black and gold dead

thanks HOS for the sig!

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
    Quote Originally Posted by House of Steel View Post

Not to be on the other side or anything it will take alot to make me say Joey who........Joey was a fun player to watch.........I hope this new guy is better

Thread Information