Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Steelers sign 1 TE, release another

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06241/717308-66.stm

Steelers sign tight end, release rookie
    Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers signed three-year veteran tight end Tim Euhus to a contract and have released rookie free agent tight end Isaac Smolko, the team announced today.

Euhus was released by the New Orleans Saints yesterday. He was originally drafted in the fourth round of the 2004 NFL Draft by the Buffalo Bills out of Oregon State.

In 2005, Euhus appeared in 11 games for the Bills, making three starts. He finished with three receptions for 17 yards. He missed the first five games of the season with a shoulder injury. During his rookie year in 2004, Euhus played in 12 games before sustaining a season-ending knee injury. For his career, he has 14 catches for 115 yards with two touchdowns.

Smolko, a undrafted free agent rookie from Penn State, was signed by the Steelers in April. He appeared in all three preseason games for Pittsburgh and caught one pass, a one-yard touchdown against the Arizona Cardinals in the preseason opener.
    Odd to make a move like this, but given the fact that Jerame Tuman is injured they must feel the need to bring in another vet incase Jerame's injury lingers on.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I was thinking the same thing, this does seem a little odd. And if they are worried about Tumans injury why bring in another player that has a history of getting hurt?

House of Steel
    I am with you there, Steelersfan, I found this very, very odd. What about using Kuhn as a TE? He has some great skills. I thought we was going after Matt Kranchak (misp.)?

I saw the thread title and started

It does seem odd, but Smolko hasn't done a whole lot that has impressed me at least. I could see dropping a Rookie boy and picking up someonw with a little more experience, but very uncharacteristic of the Steelers. Might have do some research on him today...

Thread Information