Thread: Why we didnt take OL with premium picks this year.

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Why we didnt take OL with premium picks this year.

Smith
    Faneca
    Mahan
    Simmons
    Essex
    Philip
    Colon
    Starks
    Okobi
    Kemoeatu

Now, I like the prospects we have in Colon, Kemoeatu, and Essex. I think they are all just chomping at the bit to prove themselves and they'll get that chance this year. We have good competition at Center now with Okobi & Mahan, and we also have good competition at Guard. Colon will push Starks to improve his game.

The reason I wanted some more depth is because this could be Faneca's and Starks last year, combined with Hartings already leaving and our depth needing to step up now, could leave us dangerously low on quality OL after this season. I never like to ignore the OL on draft day, bad things happen when you do that...however since we aren't taking any with premium picks that tells me that Tomlin is ok with the group we have now, and also tells me that I look for us to get several OL in the 2008 draft. We only carry a maximum of 9-10 OL every year so even if we do take one at this point it would mean dropping somebody we already have and Tomlin must have confidence in our guys now.

TG cleared that up for all you doubters

Hell were not even in camp yet & some of you are already got us sucking in '07 I believe we'll kick alot of *** this year and i've got complete confidence in our new coaching staff
    Everyone knows "D" win championships
    doesn't hurt having our stud's on offense ..........

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Normally I'd be flipping out more about not taking an OL. I still think we should but Cowher has stockpiled some good OL talent over the last few years so now it's time for them to step up.

ive posted that same thing a dozen times lol

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    It does take time for some players to develop. I'm telling don't count out Marvin Phillip. The guy was a top rated C in college football and then stopped playing football for two year to go on his Morman mission.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    ive posted that same thing a dozen times lol
    Yeah but nobody listened apparently

I think we're loaded at Center now so the competition should be fierce. I think Okobi is the odd man out this year, his price tag is too high and we didn't sign Mahan to be a backup.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Yeah but nobody listened apparently

I think we're loaded at Center now so the competition should be fierce. I think Okobi is the odd man out this year, his price tag is too high and we didn't sign Mahan to be a backup.
    nobody listens to K!!! seriously though, we'll be good on OL, with the addition of Mahan and Stephenson, plus a new OL coach and Tomlin, like you said the competition will make everyone step up their game a couple of notches!!

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

lol...tomlin listens to me...he takes an OLB in the first and Sep in the fourth...thats what i told him to do lol.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    nobody listens to K!!! seriously though, we'll be good on OL, with the addition of Mahan and Stephenson, plus a new OL coach and Tomlin, like you said the competition will make everyone step up their game a couple of notches!!
    I think the key in this whole post was a new Oline coach. Not to knock Russ Grimm since I think he was good offensive line coach. But some people act like he is the messiah of Oline coaches. Lets face it when I see Max Starks still struggling at times then Russ Grimm couldn't have been doing him alot of good. So maybe this new OL coach can get the potential out of some of younger Olineman already on our team.

Thread Information