Thread: Info on the new Steelers (will be updated to include today's picks)

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed

Info on the new Steelers (will be updated to include today's picks)

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/...e_timmons.html
    By: Robert Davis
    Lawrence Timmons OLB 6'1 234 Florida St. Jr. 4.59
    Timmons did not see much action as a freshman, but became Ernie Sims’ primary backup as a sophomore, and contributed 35 tackles, 3.5 for loss, and three sacks on the year. With Sims moving on, Timmons had his time to shine, and he took full advantage of it. As a junior, he had 79 tackles, 18 for loss, five sacks, and an interception.
    Playmaker is the best word that describes Timmons as a player. Whether he is attacking the line of scrimmage, rushing the passer, or dropping into coverage, he has shown the ability to make big plays in all facets of the game. He’s an excellent athlete that plays with big time intensity. He is really aggressive on the field and flies all over the place to make plays. Timmons is a very good athlete that can really run.
    Timmons has a lean frame and will have to pack on more weight at the next level. His lack of bulk can give him some problems getting off blocks and bringing down bigger backs and tight ends in the open field. Sometimes he is too aggressive and will run himself out of plays as a result.
    Lawrence Timmons has a ton of upside at the next level. He only has one year of starting experience, and is not a finish product. He is still a very good player right now, who could wreak havoc on the weakside in the NFL. He has had a good showing in the post season, and should end up landing somewhere in the last half of the first round.
    http://www.realfootball365.com/colle...ley101106.html
    Block LaMarr Woodley or he'll kill you
    Michigan DE LaMarr Woodley has emerged as an impact player this season -- literally and figuratively.
    For when Woodley's 6-foot-2, 268-pound frame collides with a luckless quarterback, running back or wide receiver, something has to give. Very often, it's the football.
    "If you don't block him," Central Michigan coach Brian Kelly said of Woodley earlier this year, "he's going to kill somebody."
    But there's more to Woodley's game than brute force. When he somehow found himself unblocked and zeroing in on Northwestern QB C.J. Bacher, for instance, he resisted the natural D-lineman's impulse to drive Bacher into the turf. Instead, he simply reached out and flicked the ball out of the quarterback's outstretched hand, and Michigan recovered.
    A semi-finalist for both the Bednarik and Lombardi awards, Woodley not only plays for the Wolverines, but resembles one in body style and ferocity.
    "If nothing else, he will defeat the opponent across from him on sheer determination alone," said one NFL scout.
    In style, Woodley is reminiscent of the Indianapolis Colts ' Dwight Freeney, another rather stumpy (by today's standards) lineman whose motor never stops running. Next year, he could find himself either a Freeney-style DE or a linebacker in the pros. In high school, he ran a 4.5 40, quite fast enough to handle either position.
    Woodley could have been in the NFL right now, but the senior co-captain chose to come back to Ann Arbor for unfinished business.
    "I'd call my career so far good, but not great," Woodley said.
    In 2005, he was bothered by a broken bone in his right forearm that both limited his effectiveness and hurt his draft status. Now, completely healthy, he has 27 tackles, 11 sacks (one away from Tim Bowens' school record), 15 tackles for loss, four forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries. In the Wolverines' victory over Notre Dame, Woodley racked up three tackles for loss, two sacks and a fumble recovery.
    A USA Today first-team All-American at linebacker out of Saginaw High School, Woodley also led his basketball team with 13 rebounds a game.
    A local entrepreneur came out with a popular Woodley shirt this season. It has "LaMarr Woodley, No. 56" on the front and a "2006 Hit List" of opposing quarterbacks on the back.
    http://www.ontheclockdraft.com/profile/Matt_Spaeth/1238
    Matt Spaeth
    Tight End - Ranked #6
    Big Ten :: Minnesota #89
    Class: 2007
    Height: 6-7 1/8
    Weight: 270 lbs.
    Forty Time: 4.81 Pro Day
    Matt Spaeth has a great deal of experience, having started at tight end for the past four seasons at Minnesota. During that time he has proven to be a very durable player and a team leader. He has good size for the tight end position. He is a good receiver with soft hands. He catches the ball with his hands rather than the “body catch”. Matt is also a great run blocker who spent his college career in a run-oriented offense. Matt’s combination of size and receiving ability makes him a dangerous weapon in the redzone. Matt lacks great speed and athleticism. He is a great short-intermediate range target but he won’t make many plays down the field. He isn’t very elusive after the catch but he will break tackles and gain additional yardage. He does need to work on running more precise routes. Matt is a tough player who played three games with a separated shoulder as a senior. He had reconstructive surgery and was forced to miss the insight bowl as a result. Matt Spaeth is a good all-around tight end who should develop into a solid starter at the professional level. He should be a first day pick in the 2007 NFL draft.

(Traded up 2 picks to get Daniel Sepulveda)
    http://baylorbears.cstv.com/sports/m..._daniel00.html
    2 time Ray Guy award winner

http://nflexperts.scout.com/2/636339.html
    Ryan McBean
    Numbers:6'4, 286 pounds
    2006 Stats: 25 tackles (12 solo), 9 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, 1 QB pressure
    Career Stats:62 tackles (34 solo), 15 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks
    The Buzz: Quick initial burst helps him hit the gap and force plays to the outside, disrupting the rhythm of the running back. Good potential as a three-technique lineman ... There's been some speculation that McBean could be considered for a defensive end spot in a 3-4 defense. He got some snaps during Senior Bowl week at both left and right defensive end. ... Senses the flow of the play very quickly and reacts well, using good angles ... "He can be physical and get around that gap in the line" -- Oklahoma State head coach Mike Gundy ... Executes stunts very well ... "Ryan is a physically daunting and amazingly athletic specimen" -- Kyle Porter, okstate.com.
    Noteworthy:Born in Jamaica before his family moved to the United States ... During his senior year, was ranked third in the Big 12 Conference with 3 forced fumbles ... Only had two years at Oklahoma State, starting all games both seasons.
    What would you like the fans to know about you as a person or as a player?
    RM: I'm going to come in fast and I'm going to get in and produce for any team that is willing to draft me. I'm a great player and great guy and want to give back to the community, my friends and family. I love football. Football is my life.

http://www.nflhs.com/news/features/2...292007_jjc.asp
    At Harbor High School in Santa Cruz, Calif., Cameron Stephenson played on both sides of the ball. That's common at the prep level, and one of the things Stephenson loves so much about varsity football.
    In college, the two-way player is a rare thing. Once in a while it'll happen with a receiver/defensive back. It certainly doesn't happen on the line, where the 6-foot-3, 306-pound Stephenson plays.
    "I think playing both sides of the ball is important in high school," he says. "It helps you out because you never know where they'll play you in college. I went to junior college for a year before going to Rutgers. I played defensive line there. When I got to Rutgers, I started with a little defense before being switched back to offense."
    The difference in ability between high school and college players is huge, Stephenson says. It's something he noticed immediately when he took to the practice field at Rutgers, where he was a three-year starter and one of the strongest players on the team (at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis in February, he managed 34 reps on the 225-pound bench press test).
    While playing the line on offense and defense are not day and night, they have their difference as well. Stephenson learned in high school that each side of the ledger has its own unique moves and mentality.
    "Defense is more about getting off the ball and reacting to the ball," he says. "Offense is about footwork and balance and keeping your weight centered so you can take on the guy coming at you."
    Because he was accomplished on both sides, Stephenson says making the move playing offense full-time wasn't difficult.
    "Moving from defense to offense is a plus because you're familiar with the moves you'll be encountering and that helps you anticipate and be a better player," he says.
    Stephenson maintains that while the so-called skill players get most of the glory, opening a huge hole for running backs is quite rewarding.
    "It's very comforting," he says. "If the running backs perform well it's going to be a reflection on your abilities--and the running back may even take you out to eat!"
    Like a typical lineman, food is never far from Stephenson's mind.

http://uoflsports.cstv.com/sports/m-...william00.html
    William Gay
    5-11 182
    Veteran leader in the defensive backfield... talented cover corner who has been playing since his true freshman season... knows how to play the football... has the talent to be one of the top corners in the league.
    played quarterback, wide receiver and safety for the Raiders (Richards HS).
    also a standout in track who had been clocked at 4.4 in the 40.

http://www.gatorzone.com/football/bi...06&player_id=4
    Dallas Baker
    WR 6-3 207
    HONORS: First-team All-SEC recipient in 2006 after being a second-team Preseason All-SEC pick by the league's coaches’ and media…Selected to the Watch List for the Biletnikoff Award, presented to the nation’s most outstanding receiver…Named 2005 second-team Preseason All-SEC by the coaches…
    2006: Member of the Leadership Committee…Participated in the Senior Bowl held in Mobile, Ala…Named a first-team All-SEC honoree by the league’s coaches…Played in all 14 games, with 12 starts…Led the Gators with 920 yards receiving on a career-high 60 receptions (15.3 avg.) and had a team-best 10 touchdowns...
    Lots more interesting stuff at the link--too long for here though
    Last edited by SteelersWoman; 04-29-2007 at 05:31 PM.

Thread Information