Thread: Cowher not saying if Staley can save his roster spot

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

Cowher not saying if Staley can save his roster spot

To me this is a tough call. Staley will cost us a few bucks but him being a veteran in a young group of RB's could be worth it. I'll be the first to say that I have defended Duce for a year now and I have not been too happy with what he has done this preseason. I don't think it has been all him but he hasn't helped his cause.

PITTSBURGH -- Duce Staley was on pace a couple of years ago for one of the best seasons by a Pittsburgh Steelers running back.
    When the Steelers wrap up their exhibition schedule Thursday night against Carolina, Staley might be playing to remain with the team.
    Steelers coach Bill Cowher isn't saying if Staley, a former starter who has looked slow during training camp and in games, is playing for a job. Perhaps the most telling indicator was he wouldn't say Monday that Staley isn't.
    "I'm not ready to sit here and say that he isn't or he is," Cowher said. "The bottom line is that we have some tough decisions coming Thursday. I like the experience that he brings and what he's done. He's gotten better each week."
    Even if that hasn't shown up in the game statistics. Staley has only 46 yards on 23 carries in three exhibition games, and was limited to 21 yards on 11 carries in a 16-7 loss Friday to Philadelphia. In 2004, Staley was averaging 101 yards through seven games before injuring a hamstring, and he has never regained his starting job.
    http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9624554

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If Im Duce, Im giving it everything I possibly have in this last game. 100% no matter how many carries or yards I get. Show us that we need you on our team Duce !

My Mood
    Addicted
    Duce has to do something special. Because at this point it's looking like a lost cause.

House of Steel
    Put a darn piece of pie in the End Zone and I guarantee you, HE WILL BE GIVING YOU 110%. He is a goner, I have a feeling.

SF touched on a key point, a veteran RB amongst a group of young RB's. I really feel Duce will be around, for at least one more year. Willie had a break out year last season and Cowher always like to see how a player does the following season. Duce will be around unless they do decide to trade him for another bug back in the league, he won't be cut and just free to walk.

My Mood
    Amazed
    It is his job to lose.............or win. It is all up to him but at the same time I also agree that a veteran may be needed then again maybe not. Saturday will be interesting, we will have our roster and no more speculation.
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

Thread Information